Phil Fucking Lester

When Dan was ten years old, he was told to write a note to himself. His teacher told him that he would give it to his mother in hopes that she would give it to Dan in fifteen years. So, Dan wrote down everything he could think of. He wrote down questions, hope, dreams, anything he wanted future Dan to know. Dan was excited to give the letter to his mum. He told her all about how he wondered what would happen to him as he got older.

She took the letter with a smile and promised him she would give it to him. She knew she couldn't give her son everything he wanted, but this... this was something she could do. So, she kept it in a keep-safe box. She didn't know what was in it, but she knew it wasn't her business. So she did her job. She kept it safe for years for when Dan would want it back. She kept it for so long that they both forgot about it. So, when she was looking through a box of things she saw it and immediately took it out. She was two years late, but, hey, at least she remembered it eventually.

The next time Dan and Phil stopped by her house for dinner, she gave them the note. Dan took it with a smile and said he would read it once he got home. She apologized repeatedly about it being two years late, but he reassured her that it didn't matter to him, he was just glad she kept it. The second he got home, he ripped open the packaging, excited to see what ten year old him wrote.

Dear Dan, he read. He already was smiling, his old hand writing was something to laugh at all on its own. Plus, as if it wasn't bad enough, his left-handedness caused smudging on a few of the sentences.

I don't really know where to start, so, hi... I guess. My name is Dan, as you already know. I am ten years old and my teacher said I had to write a note to you. I don't think you'll get it, but I'll try anyway.

Dan found himself smiling again. He could practically hear how awkward he was when he was younger. Not that he wasn't awkward at all now, he definitely had his moments.

What do you do now? Did you go to uni? I can't wait to go to Uni. I don't know what I want to do, but I hoped you figure it out, and I hope it's cool and it all worked out for us.

Dan thought back on his life. Did you go to uni? He went for a little bit before he dropped out. Dan wanted to go in law, which would've been an awful job if he followed up on it. He wondered what even made him decide to go to law school. He would never be able to be a lawyer. He was just too... I don't know, he just didn't fit it. He didn't have very good communication skills, his judgement wasn't always the best, he wasn't good at analyzing and doing research (unless finding his way out of escape rooms counted), he just wasn't committed to it either. Needless to say, he was glad he dropped out.

What he did now was really cool. He thinks little Dan would be proud of him. He's got a YouTube channel with millions of subscribers, millions of fans and people to talk to, a decent amount of money... he loved what he did now. He could pretty much do whatever he wanted. So, did it work out for him? He would say yes.

Are you married? Being married would be cool I guess. Do you have kids? I don't know if I want them, but I bet they would be cool too. A nice house? Do you have a dog? I love dogs.

That one... wasn't as easy to answer. Was he married? No, he wasn't married, but he had Phil, and being with Phil was better than being married. He didn't have kids or a house or a dog, but, again, he had Phil. He had his best friend with him at all hours of the day, what could be better than that?

Have you traveled anywhere? I really want to travel when I'm older. Are you healthy? I hope you aren't dying or anything, that would suck. Are you still friends with our old friends? Do you still live in Wokingham?