The Day and the Night

There are 24 hours that make a day. About 12 of those hours are nighttime. The night- when the city is dark but the lights are bright. People are sleeping in a peaceful slumber or are wide awake having amazing late night activities. The skies are black but the stars are white and shining. The other twelve hours are spent in the daytime. The daytime- when the world is bright and the houses are dark and unused. People are playing and swimming and enjoying the beautiful world. The sky is blue and the sun is brighter than anything- casting a warm glow on the earth. 

These are two specific times of the day. Nighttime is generally the time you spend sleeping and daytime is generally the time you spend living and enjoying life. Daytime is considered more important, it even had the word day in the name. Without the nighttime though, there would be no stopping of the bright sun. There would be no time to sleep because who wants to sleep when the sun is burning bright and happy. Time would be hard to keep track of. Who even needs it there's just an endless cycle of daytime and sun? Nighttime is needed, even if not truly realized. People don't realize that darkness has been around way longer than the light. The world started on darkness until some random god said, "let there be light!" So, there was light because the darkness was, ultimately, too dark.

These are considered two different times of the day. They seem hours apart, the day and the night. But, they aren't. Because there are two times, only two maybe-five-minute times, that the day and the night meet. They're both on Earth, combining and changing. It's when they sky has the most beautiful colors. There are blues when the day and the night are sad. There are the bright pinks and oranges when they are in such a loving moment, nothing else matters. There are the dark reds, piercing through the clouds in an angry strike. There are the yellows, when they are just simply happy. This is the sunrise and the sunset.

There was a long long time when, although they were both watching the world switch from night to day or day to night, they didn't see each other. They would do their jobs and leave. Until one day, when the sunset was beginning to streak colors of pink, the day saw the night for the first time. He was stunned, who was the person standing next to him?

"Hello," He said walking over to him. "Who are you?" He asked. His heart seemed to leap in his chest. What was that? Why did the other man's smile seem... better than anything he's seen.

"Why, I am the Night." He explained. "You must be the Day," He guessed.

"Yes..." The Day trailed off. He didn't even know what the Night was. How did the Night know who he was? "How did you know?"

"Well, the sunset is the transition from the Day to the Night, so I assumed that would be you," He explained, the Day nodded.

From then on their talks grew. They would talk about the difference between night and day. Day would explain all the children that run around in the daytime. The way they would play and make friends. He talked about lovers spending the day on dates. He talked about the outdoors, the way people would busily walk around. People would run and swim and spend their time doing everything they wanted to do, just living their lives. He explained the looks of happiness on their faces. Night would talk about the calmness of the night hours. He talked about the slumbering children. They dreamt about all the things they couldn't do. In other places the lights were bright and adults were running around. They were out partying and having fun like they were the children. He talked about lovers under covers. He talked about how the children were the ones to play in the day, while the adult were the ones to play in the night. He explained the joy of night.

Soon, they were being yelled at for making the sunsets and sunrises last longer than they should. They spent all their hours waiting to see each other. The sky was the bluest when the sunsets were shortest. They were hues of orange and pinks shone when they were the longest. As they observed the humans during the day they watched how they loved. When they would meet again, they would talk about how beautiful the silly humans loved. The more the day and the night kissed and loved and talked, the more they longed for what the humans had.

Eventually, they spoke to the God above about how they wanted to be done. They were gods for centuries and it was about time they retired. They just wanted to be done.

"Why would you want to be human?" The God asked.

"We wish to love the way humans do," They explained. The God took some thought to this.

"Can you not love here?" He asked simply.

"Ten minutes a day is not enough," They complained.

"But human time is short," He pointed out. "What is a few years every day compared to an eternity of ten minute meets?"

"Human time is short, that is true, but the way humans love is more than eternal ten minute meets. They love as if they have forever when their time is, indeed, limited. They spend days of their lives loving each other with all the might they have. They spend their short lives with will to live. We long to love with an eternal feeling, not with actual eternity. Love isn't true if there's not a time that it can end," They explained, the God nodded.

"If you truly wish this, then you may. You will be reincarnated, but with that your life restarts. You will not remember anything that has happened," He explained. "With that, there is a chance that you will not be together. Although, if your love is true, you will find each other." They both agreed that they had to try. So, they became humans.

When Dan sees a post that says that the dark brown in his eyes are like the night sky with gold speck that are like stars... and when Phil sees a post that says the yellow in his eyes look like the sun shining through the sky... they just laugh. Because it's kind of true, Dan is like the night and Phil is like the day.