Love Sucks

*Phil's point of view*

"Three different people?!" I exclaimed as I looked at the list. The name Daniel Howell was there along with the names, Lily Felter, Adam Marcus, and, Nathan Arck. "Did somebody make a mistake?" I frowned. The woman next to me shook her head.
"Not at all. We sent two of our best!" She pointed out. "Do you think he's..." She trailed off, not needing to finish.

"No," I muttered. "He's on the list, he's looking for love, so it's impossible for him to be unlovable." I paced back and forth trying to put together the pieces of this impossible puzzle. "So we sent our best..." I mumbled to myself. "...and he was put under the spell..." I let out an exasperated huff. "...so why isn't he in love?!" I shouted.

"We don't know. That's why we came to you, Cupid, Sir." She looked up at me with hopeful eyes. I just rolled mine.
"How many times do I have to tell you?" I facepalmed. "My name is Phil. I may be Cupid, but I would like to be called Phil," I explained for the fiftieth time.

"My apologies, Cu... Phil," She corrected herself. I rolled my eyes again.
"What is with you people?" I sighed. "You're all too formal, just say sorry." I sat back down and took a bite of the pancakes in front of me. I was technically a god, so I could go anywhere I wanted. I always admired humans, especially because they created pancakes. I spent a lot of time in America at different diners. I had houses all over the world. I loved England, but America had a load of sweets.

After spending quite a bit of time with all the humans, I started picking up on their mannerisms. It annoyed the others who couldn't leave their jobs like me. I went around the world enjoying myself and then made lists of who wanted love, my workers then went to the people and they matched them together.

This guy though, Daniel Howell, I had no idea what to do with him. I sent countless people at him and every time it didn't work out. Most believed he was unlovable, but I refused it. I didn't think anyone was unlovable, so every time I did my research and found a match.

"My ap... sorry Mr. Phil, Sir," My worker was trying her best. I sighed at her attempt.
"It's fine, you don't have to apologize about everything. I'll take Howell, you carry on with working," I smiled at her. She sighed with relief and went back to work. She was one of my hardest workers, always making sure everything was in order.

"Would you like the bill?" The waiter smiled at me and took my plate of finished pancakes. I took out a twenty, left it on the table and smiled. "Keep the change." With that I was out the door and back to my London apartment. It was time for research. I looked at the past people that we tried to match with Daniel.

Lily Felter was a quiet girl- curly blonde hair, brown eyes- she loved to read. She was a severe book worm and spent a lot of her time inside reading or on her computer, I thought this would be a perfect match for Daniel, but their relationship lasted less than a week.

Adam Marcus was a loud guy- short brown hair, hazel eyes, lots of freckles- he loved music, all the same music as Daniel. They met when they were at a record store glancing over the same albums. They were both far too loud for the store and got kicked out, they also had the same sense of sarcastic humor. But even then, their relationship only lasted a week.

Nathan Arck was a sheltered man- dark black hair, dark brown eyes- he had his walls far up, only letting them down to the people he got close to. He was quiet, but once you got to know him he was loud and a big lover. He loved video games and was very similar to Daniel. They were so similar they almost had the exact same daily routine- to the point of ending the day with browsing through the same page on Tumblr. Even then, they dated for less then a month.

There wasn't a problem with a single one of the people, but somehow it never worked out. They had many things in common, all parts of Daniel. Suddenly, Phil got an idea. They were throwing identical people at him, maybe he needed someone nothing like him.

So, after a long hard search, he found the perfect girl. She had bright blonde hair that was tinted pink and sparkling blue eyes. She had a bright and bubbling personality, but still had the same bits of personality as Daniel. Her name was Louise Pentland.

After long and hard work, they both ended up at a coffee shop outside of Manchester. I watched as the both were in line chatting. They seemed to be laughing, I smiled. Now all I needed to do was touch them and they would be bound as soulmates. I got up from my seat at the booth in the corner and walked to where they were standing. I pretended to fall right in between them. They both stopped and helped me up. They asked if I was ok and I nodded.

I focused on pushing a course of energy through my fingers from their spot on their shoulders. I looked them in the eyes and they both gleamed, I triumphantly walked away. The energy surge worked, now all I had to do was wait. I watched them, they suddenly both wore blushes as they laughed and the girl handed Daniel a paper and walked away. I sighed with relief, we finally found him someone to love.

He took his coffee and looked around, his eyes landed on mine. I widened mine and looked away. I prayed he didn't see me, there was no way to explain why I had been staring at him. I took a drink of my coffee and when I looked back he was standing right next to my booth.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked pointing at the booth across from me. I looked behind him at Louise who was standing at a different booth.
"I.. uh.. no go ahead." I snapped out of wondering why they weren't sitting together. He sat down across from me.
"What's your name?" He asked with a dashing smile. I could see the way his dimples popped and his eyes beautiful brown eyes gleamed.
"Oh.. um... I'm Phil." I laughed awkwardly.
"Dan." He held out his hand and I shook it.

"You ok? Did that fall do something to your head?" He giggled. I rolled my eyes, not being able to help but smile back.
"No I'm fine.. just confused," I frowned.
"About?" He shrugged.
"Well that girl that also helped me when I fell... aren't you two.. together?" I asked hopefully, he snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Absolutely not, we just met. I got her number, though, we want to see a movie." I sighed with relief. "Just as friends though, she's into that guy over there." He nodded at the table.
"How?" My jaw just about fell onto the floor. I was a god and he was able to step out of the spell like it was nothing. Who was this guy and how the hell was he able to avoid love?

"What do you mean how?" He laughed. "How am I not into her?" He shrugged. "I don't know, she's not really my type. She's nothing like me." I wanted to throw my coffee at him. Who could he possibly fall in love with?! I threw every single type at him.
"Then who is your type?" I huffed.

Suddenly he blushed and looked down at his coffee. He picked at the container and shrugged. "I don't know..." He trailed off and bit his lip momentarily. He looked into my eyes for a moment. "I think you're pretty cute."

———————————

Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!