Chapter 9: Facing the Current Situation

Before, the commune had sent educated youth to other villages, so Liu Weimin knew that it was only a matter of time before he would go to Liujiatun.

He had a good idea. There was a big house in the village, which belonged to the landlord a few years ago. Later, when the landlord was overthrown, it became empty. There was nothing in it. All the usable things were taken home by the villagers, but the house was still intact and could be lived in after cleaning up. It was suitable for educated youth to live in.

Then there was a small house not far from the entrance of the village, near the foot of the mountain. It was used for sentry during the war a few years ago. It was built very solidly at that time, but it was small and only for one person. There was a large open space around it. He thought about it and ruled it out. Who knew that when he said it, Jian became interested in this small house first. When he arrived and saw it, he liked it even more.

"Uncle, can this small house be repaired? Can a wall be built around it?"

Liu Weimin immediately regretted it.

"Why don't you live in the big house? It's so spacious. Look, the one in the middle is a brick house."

Simple and natural, she couldn't say that it was inconvenient for her to cook for herself, nor could she say that the educated youth would go to the countryside for more than ten years. How many people would live in such a big house? People from all over the country had different living habits and tastes. Just thinking about the trivialities of firewood, rice, oil, salt and chicken feet made it very lively. If she couldn't afford to offend them, couldn't she hide away early?

"Uncle, wouldn't it be scary for me to live in such a big yard by myself? I think this small house is good. Can you help me find someone to build a wall and clean it up? Do I need to build a kang and a stove? I'm alone, it's small and warm, and I'm not afraid."

"No, no, just listen to uncle. It's next to the mountain. What if a wild animal comes down, what will you do as a child?"

Jian Jian gestured,

"I'll build a higher and thicker wall, it will at least block it. Besides, you see, it's so far away. If I shout here, they will hear it over there. Can you still just watch and ignore me?"

Seeing that she was determined, Liu Sanye also persuaded,

"Okay, it doesn't matter where you live. Isn't this also in the village? It's just a few steps away, what's there to be afraid of?"

That said, Jian Jian preferred the quietness here. Although it was at the entrance of the village, no one could eat now, and basically no one went out. She would not attract attention if she went out.

It was already dark, and there was nothing to do today. Liu Weimin took Jiandan back to his home. At most, he would let her stay with his daughter for one night.

As soon as he entered the house, he was shocked to find that the stove was cold.

"What's wrong?"

He looked around but didn't find anyone. Just as he was about to go out, a child ran in. He was about four or five years old and tanned. He was barefoot, wearing a sleeveless jacket on his upper body, and his pants were torn at the knees, just below his calves.

When he saw Liu Weimin, he immediately rushed over.

"Grandpa, grandpa, the second grandma fainted. She didn't feel well even after drinking water."

Liu Weimin turned around and walked out. The light was dim, and Xiao Heidan didn't see that there was another person in the yard, so he ran after him. Jiandan paused, put a few bundles together, and followed.

Turn left and you will see five or six courtyards. There is a group of people gathered at the door. Jiandan walked a few steps quickly and followed Liu Weimin into the room. There was a faint light in the room. I could vaguely see an old lady lying on the kang. Several people beside the kang were holding water and steamed bread.

Liu Weimin came in and ran straight over.

"Second aunt, how are you?"

The woman holding the water came over and spoke in a very low voice.

"Why did you come back just now? Old Chen came to see me. I was just exhausted. I didn't eat or drink. Even an iron body couldn't stand it."

"Zhu Zi hasn't come back yet?"

"No, there is not even a green leaf in my aunt's house. We gathered some food together, but my aunt refused to eat. She just drank some water."

Under the dim candlelight, several people had sallow complexions, protruding cheekbones, and their clothes were like hanging on a rack. They would swing when there was a gust of wind. Two people looked at the dark green steamed bread with shining eyes.

Jiandan actually read a lot of books of this era, but at this moment, she just felt that no words could accurately describe the reality of this moment, pale, barren, helpless, and desperate, but it was full of enthusiasm and concern unique to this era.

When she followed Liu Weimin back, it was already dark, and the Liu family didn't turn on the lights. They just arranged for her to rest in the west room. Jiandan didn't pick it, anyway, it was temporary.

When she got up the next day, Liu Xiu, who was sleeping on a kang, was no longer in the room. Jiandan got up and tidied up, pushed the door and went out, and the sun was shining brightly outside again.

Liu Weimin strode back from outside,

"Are you awake? Do you still want a small room? I'll find someone to build it for you."

Jiandan nodded hurriedly, raised his legs and followed him out.

Normally, it wouldn't be so idle before the autumn harvest, but the crops in the field were dry, and even the grass rarely grew, so people were idle. Liu Weimin called and followed a group of people.

Jian Dan followed quickly, asking,

"Uncle, how much is that house? I don't know how many years I will live in it, so I'll buy it. I won't feel bad if I spend money to repair it, right?"

Liu Weimin was a little surprised,

"Are you sure? It won't affect your living if it's yours, and no one in our village will compete with you for it."

Jian Dan didn't respond, smiling,

"Uncle, tell me how much it costs first, and I'll see if I can afford it?"

Liu Weimin didn't persuade her anymore. No matter how close she was, she still had to distinguish the importance of money compared to the benefit of the villagers.

"That small house must be more than ten years old. The only thing is that it's made of blue bricks, with thick walls and solid construction. You can give 50."

Jian Dan, a 10,000 yuan household, naturally accepted it happily. While talking, he arrived and followed Liu Weimin in to take a look. There were only four walls, and two small rooms separated inside. Well, it was very simple.

"Look at what you want to do. There are many people now, so we'll finish it for you as soon as possible."

Simple walked around,

"Uncle, how big a yard can you fence for me? Can I have a private garden or something?"

"Can you grow a garden? Then I'll fence in the five mu of land around the house for you."

Simple mainly means being independent and not being disturbed by others,

"Okay, then uncle, help me build a circle of walls that are higher and stronger, and build a kang in the inner room. Oh, there's no place to stand after building the kang. Uncle, then this piece, connect this piece around the corner, and make them all a kang. From the corner of this wall to the window, build a wide shelf on this piece, with multiple layers, where I can put things. Build a shelf directly on this piece around the kang. This side is enough for me to live in.

Please build two stoves for me in the outer room. Hehe, I'm afraid of the cold, so I have to burn more in winter.

Ah, I also have to set up a small shed, and I have to store some firewood."