🎶Lance Stroll - Should've Said It (ft. George Russell)

"My formula one career is just starting and I need to fully focus. You are far too distracting! Always looking for attention!" I scoff at his comment. "What do you mean? All I have done these past few years has study for my finals! I haven't even looked for you because I don't want to bother you!" He turned and begins laughing angrily. "I just- I'm not in a relationship place so please, leave!" I sling my bag over my shoulder and storm out. "Good luck finding someone like me, that will take the abuse you throw because I guarantee you Stroll, you won't ever find someone like me." and that was the last time I ever heard from him.

I sit in my room smiling like an idiot. Finally, after all these years I finished university as the highest grade in my entire year. Me and my family were celebrating and I had just made it back home. My flatmate Sofia sat across from me. "Wow. If only Kate could make it." I nod but understood why she couldn't come. Her boyfriend came first and I respected that. It had been four years since Lance had said he would call me when he needed me and I eagerly waited. I knew he probably forgot but I was still hopeful. Sofia got up and walked over to the kitchen, grabbing two wine glasses and a bottle of wine. I sit up to see why she was doing it, thinking it was just another celebration but no. She wanted to talk. "I know you're thinking about him. Drink up and spill the tea, or in this case wine." She pours me a glass of the red liquid and encourages me to take at least a gulp and so I do.

The night came to an end with me vomiting in the toilet and tears. "A-and what would he think of me now?" I slur. "Honey, it doesn't matter what he would think. He was a douchebag. You need to accept that." Vomit. "He-he done so much and-d, I think I'm gonna vomit again....no. I'm good. I just miss him so, so much!" I wail out. "Y/n. Listen. He didn't deserve you. He yelled at you, threw words that shouldn't be said to any human being ever at you all because he couldn't drive a fucking car. You don't need him. Go do you." Sofia was holding my hair back so I wouldn't get any vomit in it. God I was a mess. On the outside, it seemed as though I was over him but de down, I needes to see him again. I missed him far too much.

Months had passed since I graduated and I found a job. A job in Williams formula one team. I know he didn't drive there anymore but I was pretty close with some mechanics there so I would have fitted in easy enough and I was right. I was in the paddock, minding my business when I heard an all too familiar voice. Lance. "Y/n? Is that you?" I spin around and surely enough, there he stood. Words spun around my head but I struggled to form them into a sentence. "I-hi. How's the family?" I manage to spit out. "Great. How about you?" He asked. "I mean, I'm alright I suppose. I'm awfully tired." I smile. "With school? Have you graduated yet?" I nod my head. "Yes. I did. A few months ago actually."

"That's great. You always were smart. So what brings you here?" Straight up with the questions. Then again, we haven't seen each other in a long time. "I'm working here. I work for Williams now so you'll be seeing me a lot more in the paddock." It was as if Lance was going to say something when a girl called his name. He spins around and holds his arms out for "Kate?" I whisper. She was walking over with a smile on her face. "Hey babe. Oh my god! Y/n! Congratulations on your graduation. Sorry I couldn't make the celebrations, I was with Lance." I clench my fists and jaw. How dare she even touch him. She knew how much I loved him and here she was. What a fucking snake! "Don't worry about it. I'm sure there were more important things to worry about than finishing up the course you chose but I suppose you two are sorted for life and you don't need to even to think at this rate." I say sarcastically through my gritted teeth. She laughs nervously, knowing what she had done. "Sorry, I need to go now. Work. You understand. You might not but you definitely do." I say pointing between the pair before walking away to the Williams pits.

I slump down on my chair and let out a sigh. "You okay?" I open my eyes and see the face of George Russell, a rookie on the grid. "Yeah. Do you want to go through your data from qualifying?" I reach for the sheets of paper but he stops me by grabbing my hand. "I want to make sure my race engineer is okay and not in a mood today." I let out a sound to show I understood. "Alright then." A bit of an awkward silence. "And I'm not leaving until I see you smile." I let a smile creep onto my lips and since then, I found myself smiling whenever George came around. Everytime without fail and so, we became closer and closer until we got into a relationship at the end of the 2020 season.

Two years down the road, George moved up to Mercedes and I moved to Aston Martin as per request from Lawrence Stroll to become their head engineer. I sit at the engineer island in the Aston Martin garage giving Sebastian a debrief. "Someone is looking at you." he whispered. I look around and see the dark brown eyes of Lance. He looked like he needed to say something but it wouldn't come out. Seb tapped the counter, grabbing my attention. "I'm gonna go to my driver room. I'll see you later though." he said before walking off. "See you Seb. Give Hanna my regards!" I turn around and there stood Lance. "Oh. Can I help you with anything?"

"That's a bit patronising." he spat. "Oh I'm being patronising. You wouldn't want to start at me for being patronising Stroll." He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Just, why do you spend so much time with Seb and not me? There's two drivers." I grab the charts off the two drivers. "Seb is struggling a little. It is my job as head engineer to help the struggling driver more than the driver who isn't, that's you. I need to make sure both drivers are doing the best they possibly can in the car and-" he let out a sigh. "Do you ever shut up?" I slam the file on the counter. Everyone in the garage turns around to watch the scene unfold. "Don't you dare take that tone with me." I snarl. He steps forward, putting an arm either side of me and resting his hands behind me. "But did I ask for that information?"

"You asked why I spent more time with Seb than you. Are you thick in the head?" He turns and walks away. "Oh yes. Walk away like you always do!" I shout to him. "Who are you? My mom?" "No but I don't know how she puts up with you! I don't even know how I put up with you as a boyfriend! How about instead of getting all these girlfriends, you work on keeping them?!" Oh shit. I didnt mean to say that. It just slipped out of my mouth. He turned and looked at me with a saddened look before storming off once again to his driver room, with me closely following him and calling after him.

"Lance! Come back! I didn't mean it!" He walked in the driver room, slamming the door. Luckily I caught it. I closed the door behind me and turned to see him pacing. "Look, there's clearly something you want to say so just say it." He battles telling me or not before just spitting it out. "I want you back! I've looked for replacements and not one girl- you were right, no one is like you. I want you, please come back." There he went playing with my heartstrings like he always did. "Lance-" he cut me off. "Just listen please!" - "Lance." - "No, no. It hasn't been the same since you left, sure I got my first podium but-" - "Lance Stroll! Listen to me! I'm not coming back! I'm with George now. I'm happy with George and yes I was happy with you but I moved on! Do you know how much of my nights were spent crying over you with a glass of wine in my hand? No! The amount of times I have wouldn't even compute in your brain! George came into my life and put an end to that, he ended the side of me that you had broken." tears rolled down my cheeks as I yelled. He sat down watching me break by the second.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." he said just above a whisper. I sit beside him an dlay my head on his shoulder. "Isn't it funny how when you aren't looking for it, it happens. I'm gonna be honest, I can't even remember the taste of your lips anymore. He fell into your place and washed away the feel of your kiss." He rests his head on mine and let's out a sigh. "Do you want me to remind you?" I close my eyes tightly. "Didn't you listen? No. If you wanted me so desperately you should have said it instead of holding your pride closer to yourself than you'd ever hold me. Two years. It took you two years since we reconnected to tell me. Two years too late." I pull his cheek towards my lips and Place a soft kiss onto his cheek. "I'm sorry but I just can't have you when there is someone in another garage that genuinely loves me and would never and has never raised his voice or hurt me." I got up and walk out, leaving Lance with his thoughts and me with mine. My brain just couldn't grasp how if he wanted me so much, why couldn't he had just said so?

A/N: okay just hear me out here,
An episode of drive to survive dedicated to the actual future of formula one BUT from the rising drivers who are not in formula one yet so an episode with Mick Schumacher, Jack Aitken, Robert Schwartzman etc bc I would be up for that. I would watch the hell out of that