🎶Daniel Ricciardo - Wagon Wheel (Alternative Version)

A/N: The alternative version I was on about. I really like this idea too

I wipe down yet another table. I hated when things were going on in town but on this occasion I especially hated it. A bloody Grand Prix. I don't get it, F1 isn't even that big in America so why the hell is there a track? One thing is for sure, it brought in money and that's pretty much all my boss cared about. Night rolled around quickly enough and everything died down. I sit behind the counter sorting out some things when the door opened and in walked a group of men but one in particular caught my eye. He was a good looker for sure but I simply didn't have time to be like my fellow workers and swoon. I had to work. A few minutes go by until the first remark comes along and obviously, it comes from Cassie."Oh. My. God." One of the waitresses said in awe. "Sixth guy this week that you have said that about Cassie. You need to relax." I chuckle. "No! Y/n, he's looking at you!" I lift my gaze up and see that he was glancing between his friends and me. My face flushes red as I walk to get my notepad to take the orders. "Yes sweetie! Go get your man!" Cassie cheered. Thank god the restraint was packed, otherwise they would have heard her. "Cassie! He is a stranger. I'm not gonna just fall for a stranger." Too late. I was gone the moment he walked in the door.

I approached the table holding my pen shakily in my hand. "Hey guys. So are you ready to order?" I ask. The one guy's eyes fell onto me and I could have melted on the spot. They place their orders and I return to the counter. It isn't long after until I'm beckoned. I turn around and yet again, see the guy. "Sorry to bother you but does the karaoke machine work?" He asked. I gulped down before answering. "Erm...yeah. I can set it up for you if you'd like?" I offered. "Oh yes please. Thanks." I walk back out with him and up to the stage to set up the karaoke. It took a while but eventually I got it. "It should be working there now. Anything else I can get you?" I ask politely. "Sorry again but how do I get a song?" I didn't mention th is before but my god his accent. Aussie. That was a breath of fresh air after hearing the same accent on different pitches for the last few years. "You just tap here and search a song. When you find the song you'd like you press okay and that's pretty much it." I explain. "Ah okay. Thank you. Also, I apologise in advance for the singing." He laughs. Jesus Christ. Why was everything practically perfect? Tell me that. "No worries at all."

The songs continued on and on. I'm pretty sure they stayed for an hour just singing but I didn't mind. I found it brilliant. It was about time someone brought some life into the dull old place. I walk over to their table to collect their plates as they were deep in discussion thinking about the next song. "Hey, excuse me? Would you like to do a duet?" The familiar Aussie voice asked. I looked up from the plates and look into his chocolate brown eyes. "I- me?" I ask confused. "Yeah! We were watching you over at the counter singing along. Why don't you come up with one of us and sing?" I look at my watch and see my shift had two minutes left so why not? "I'll put these plates in and I'll come back. My shift is practically over now." I walk away with my arms full of plates and into the kitchen. Cassie runs in after me smirking. "Oh my god! He likes you! That hot Australian guy likes you Y/n!" She squealed. "Cassie, like I said before, stranger. Relax yourself." I say. To be brutally honest, I would have loved to at least go on a date with him but then again, what are the chances of that?" I take my apron off and put it in my locker before returning to the table of boys. "Alright then, what duet are we singing?" I chirp. "Were thinking of Wagon Wheel because there's like a girl vocalist in there and we're in Texas, home of country music! You know the words right?" The Australian asked. "Yeah of course I do but before we do that, what's all your names?"

"Well this is Max, Lewis, Charles, Nico and Sebastian and I'm Daniel." The man who I now know as Daniel replied. "I'm Y/n. You're an awfully diverse group of friends. I'm guessing you're here for the race?" I ask trying to know a little more about the group. "Something like that buyt I think youre just stalling." Sebastian chuckles. "Yeah, come on. Shall we?" Dan asks. I nod my head and walk to the karaoke machine with him. "So...Wagon Wheel? Darius Rucker yeah?" He nods as I press the button.

The all too familiar tune begins to play. God I loved this song. Daniel opens the song and I had to say he's quite good. He had a classic country voice if you understand. Oh shit, my turn. "So rock me mama like a Wagon Wheel, rock me mama anyway you feel, hey mama rock me." We sang in unicen. He grabbed a hold of my hand before swinging me around and dancing with the beat. "Rock me mama like wind and the rain, rokc me mama like a South bound train, hey mama rock me." His smile grows as we finish the chorus. "Solo." He mouthed. Fuck. "I'm running from the cold, up in New England. I was born to be a fiddler in an old time string band. My baby plays the guitar, I play the banjo now." His face was amazed and I didn't want to be full of myself but I was guessing it was my voice. "Wooh Y/n!" Cassie cheers from the kitchen. She basically started a movement because now the others were cheering too. What was I doing that was so special? I was just singing.

The song finishes up with a round of applause from the small crowd that gathered to watch. "Jesus, way to embarrass me like that." Daniel says sarcastically. "Oh please, you were fucking brilliant." I reply to him. "How much longer are you gonna stay because I think Seb wants to sing the Beatles and he's gonna ask for a duet too." I chuckle and decide I'd stay a little while longer. Why not and besides, it was fun.

I walked out of the restaurant and out into the warm Texan air. "Mein gott. I've got a flight home in a few hours. I should get going guys." Sebastian said bidding his goodbyes. "I've got a flight back too." They all seemed to have flights except for Daniel. "Alright, see you guys." Daniel sat on the bench outside the door and sat waiting for his taxi to arrive. "Well tonight was fun." He said to break the silence. "It was. How come you don't have a flight home?" I asked. "I love Texas so I'm planning on just flying from here to the next race honestly." Next race? No. He wasnt. "Wait, you're a driver?" A smirk rests on his face as the realisation hit me. "I just- so you're telling me- wait. I'm so confused. I was doing karaoke with F1 drivers?"(the dream tbfh). "That you did my dear. Hope we gave you a good first impression." He chuckled. "You sure did. I might even watch F1." I say. "How about watching from the pits?" I do a double take on his offer. "Yeah- wait. Did you just?" "Invite you to a race? Yes, yes I did. You're my mate now I'd say and I would like to maybe know you a bit better so what better way to do that than invite you to a race?" I was speechless. No words. Okay maybe a few words. "I- I don't know what to say. Thank you but you know you could have just organised a hang out or something since you're going to be here a while anyway."

"So would you come to a race? Next race?" Fuck yes. No, I need to be polite about this. "If it isn't too much hastle." His taxi pulls up and beeps for him. "Right, type your number in quickly. I'll get your details later." He said handing me his phone. I shakily type my number in and double check just to make sure. "Okay. That's it but even if it isn't, you know where to find me." He smiles and pulls me in for a hug. "Well I'll see you later anyway. I really enjoyed tonight. I needed it, believe me." He said climbing into the car. "You're welcome Daniel." "Just call me Dan, most people do." I nod. "Dan. Thanks for having me."

"We ready to go?" The taxi driver asked. "Yeah. See ya!" Dan called as the car drove off. I stood and waved him off as the car drove further and further into the distance. My heart skipped way too many beats for that to be considered normal. I was melting at just his voice and that's saying something and he wanted to get to know me better. What a night. Well, I think I can officially say, I may get into F1 now.