Chapter 35: Campfire

Hunter's P.O.V.

Emira soon removes her face from the screen, as someone barges into the room. Probably their harpy of a mom. Then I notice something I should already be thinking of. What about a shelter or food? And so I look into the grass, searching the ground and picking up whatever stick I can in hopes this would make good fuel for fire along with rocks to keep outside the sticks. 

"What are you doing?" I hear Edric ask me to which I answer. "We need to keep warm." I answer his question so simply before he walks up behind me with another question. "Why is it so hard to go back to Eda's place?" "Because I'm only gonna cause issues. You're already in trouble because of me." I have a point, don't I?

He just goes beside me and picks up a stick I was about to. "And we need to cook what we catch. But luckily I'm not hungry. Yet. And you?" My head looks into his direction who just shakes his head at me. Just then I try to pick up a stick but so does he, causing our hands to accidentally touch. Don't know why but it feels weird. Weird enough to feel embarrassed and retract my hand away from his.

His face oddly enough faces ahead of me and out of my sight. Rascal too is collecting sticks. Tiny sticks in his mouth but at least he's trying.

.

.

.

After a while of collecting sticks and rocks, we place them in a pile. Placing some of the sticks on top of each other in a cross shape, having rocks outside of the cross shape to prevent any hazards, and spare sticks in a pile next to the fire for fuel. 

I decide to break the silence between me and Edric "But couldn't you go to that Owl House or would they know to find you there?" Edric looks up to think for a moment before just shrugging at me. I have no idea if they'd think to look there, but they probably would. 

.

.

.

After many silences but also breaking those silences at times, it turned to hours. Momentarily of Edric looking on his scroll while I practice that fire glyph which is thankfully improving. Not nearly as good as the ones Luz makes, but it's still getting better. Eventually enough time passes for the sun to go down till the sky gets darker. And so I make another fire glyph, placing it on the sticks and causing a campfire to make itself present.

.

.

.

We both sleep on opposite sides of the campfire which is still ignited thanks to the spare sticks nearby. Though we have a fire, I can feel the hints of cold on me. From time to time I sit up to try and warm myself but end up cold when lying down again. Wish I took my cape with me before running out of the castle... I sit up and look at Edric who seems to be asleep with arms crossed for warmth. 

Not being able to want another cold night while there's a fire by, I silently walk next to him and lay down, thinking I'll be feeling warmer by being next to someone. It doesn't work that way, but it makes me feel safer. I notice Rascal flying over to us and nesting right next to me, which helps a little.

Edric lifts his head to look at me? "Is something wrong?" He sounds so tired, like he's almost asleep. Could've sworn he was... How embarrassing. "I only came over here because it's cold." I try to play it cool despite making things awkward. Edric looks away for a second too looking embarrassed but looks back. "I'm cold too." He gets closer before lying back down. Luckily it helps me keep more warm.

(Cheesy? I can't tell)