Chapter 168: Hunter's childhood

This is Hunter's childhood while Demante is around to look after him

Demante's P.O.V.

Not even given enough time to react, my partner orders me to come along with him back to the castle. And so I do and deliver it to Emperor Belos. Almost cried the whole way we were getting it to the castle. Belos even acted cold while taking it. Relieved, but still cold as it started crying yet again. So he asked Kikimora to take care of him, but I offered to. To her glee, she walked off and went about her duties as I cared for the baby. 'Hunter', he was called.

.

.

.

A few years pass and he's now a toddler, still not having the best parent in the world, though I took care of him most of the time. Since I haven't had a family in so long, taking care of a child felt so nostalgic. And I always kept that photo with me as I wanted to give it to him a couple years later, when he was curious about who his family was. Despite them not being his family though.

.

.

.

And yet again, more years pass. But things don't seem to be going that well. Belos sometimes having his alone time with Hunter as I discreetly eavesdrop in on those conversations. Something about the titan having big plans for him.

.

.

.

A year later, I saw Belos showing Hunter an artificial staff. Similar to the staff he wielded himself. Telling him when he was old enough, he would own it. I like the idea of him learning magic despite the fact no matter how hard he tried, no matter how hard he worked, not even a twinkle in the air when he'd place his hand up to make a circle. So what could this hurt.

.

.

.

And thus, more years pass. Now Hunter is nine years old. I've seen him ask Belos about where his parents are, wondering if they were even alive too. Belos would always say he found him abandoned and took him under his wing. Telling him about his 'purpose' in the process while also reminding him about the staff he'd own in the future.

This would always remind me of the picture I kept on me but hidden from whoever surrounded me.

.

.

.

Eventually one night, I decide to give Hunter the answer he wanted, but knew to do this quick in case of patrolling guards. So I place the photo under his bed with a note and making sure those papers noticably stick out so he'll be able to see it.

.

.

.

The day after that night seems fine. But once the darkness of night strikes, I could tell something was wrong when Hunter makes his footsteps present by following Belos while begging. "Uncl- No! No! Please don't burn it!" Luckily, I'm not even visible as I'm by the corner of the doorway from the hall.

But whenever Belos talks back, it sounds so horrid. In a panic at the thought of what could happen, I sneak away while hearing "Who gave it to you?" And the answer is my name.

(Rushed? Spelling bad? Hard to understand?)