Chapter One

Chapter One – Zayn 

Zayn frowns as he scoops all of his books into his backpack to take home with him, he knows he's easily got hours worth of reading in his hands, and no idea when he's going to be able to do it all. He carefully makes his way through all the other students, out onto campus where his best friend, and roommate Louis is waiting for him. "Zayn, what took you so long?" Louis calls, as Zayn falls into step beside him, Zayn doesn't answer just rolls his eyes and heads in the direction of Louis' car, "too much homework" Zayn mutters as they walk. Louis nods in understanding, although Zayn knows he has no real idea, Louis' majoring in theatre and rarely actually has homework to do. Louis unlocks the doors once they reach the parking lot, and Zayn carefully tosses his bag into the back before climbing in the front, closing his eyes as he waits for Louis to start the car. Louis' pulling out of the parking lot before he speaks, "you working tonight?" he asks and Zayn groans before nodding his head slowly, Louis makes a strange noise, "do you need me to-" he starts to ask but Zayn cuts him off, "yeah, please" he mumbles. Louis just nods in response and turns his attention back to the road. 

Once they arrive at their apartment Zayn makes his way into his bedroom to drop off his bag, and change for work, he's tying the apron around his hips when Louis appears in the doorway. "When are you going to find a better job?" Louis asks and Zayn shrugs, groaning "hopefully after graduation" he retorts and Louis chuckles, shaking his head, "you could always let me help you out, you know" he says, but Zayn shakes his head. "You do help, can you drive me to work, I'm gonna be late?" he asks as he stuffs his phone into his pocket. Louis rolls his eyes, but nods his head, "yeah, I was craving pizza for dinner anyways" he teases, poking Zayn's shoulder as they head back down to Louis' car. Zayn sighs as he waits for Louis to drive the ten minutes to the pizza restaurant he works at, it's not terrible, but it's definitely not what Zayn wants to do for the rest of his life. Louis pulls up outside and Zayn climbs out and disappears inside before Louis can even say anything, "you're late" Talia, one of Zayn's coworkers calls as he walks by her. Zayn shrugs and grins, "anybody else notice?" he asks, but she shakes her head, "nah I covered for ya" she grins. Zayn smiles "thank you" he winks before disappearing towards the kitchen to read the schedule for the night. "Two birthday parties?" he groans when he hears someone behind him, Harry chuckles, "yea, gonna be a long night" he laughs. Zayn turns to face his other best friend and nods, "good thing you and Talia are here" he agrees and Harry nods before heading back out of the kitchen, Zayn following closely behind. 

It's an hour later than Zayn was supposed to be home, when he finally stumbles through the door into the dark apartment, he's doing his best to stay quiet which he manages, somehow. He heads into the kitchen grabbing a glass of water before heading down the hall into his bedroom. Zayn quickly changes into a pair of sweats, before leaving his room and going two doors down, he quietly pushes open the door, pausing when it squeaks as he does so. He tiptoes carefully across the carpeted floor, stopping in front of the crib situated there and peering inside. He smiles when he sees her sleeping, peacefully clutching her mermaid doll tightly in her arms, Zayn reaches down and pushes some of the dark, curly hair off her forehead, making her squirm a little. Zayn holds his breath, until she stops moving and then leans down to press a kiss to her forehead, "Sorry, I wasn't home again tonight, princess. I promise, it's you and me tomorrow" he murmurs, before pressing another kiss to her chubby cheek. "I love you Arabella, sweet dreams" Zayn hums, before creeping back out of the room, before the two year old wakes up.

Zayn makes it back into his room without making any noise and waking anyone up, he knows Louis' probably still awake in his room, but doesn't want to bother him anyways. Zayn climbs onto his bed, and as much as he just wants to curl up and go to sleep, he needs to do some of his reading or he'll never get it all done. So he pulls out his bag, grabbing one of his English books and starts to read, forcing himself to stay awake as he does. Zayn finally decides to call it a night a little after one in the morning, and he tosses the book onto the floor, before lying back and letting sleep overtake him.