Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven – Zayn

Zayn wakes up the next morning curled up on Liam's chest, to the sound of his phone ringing, he knows it's early and is trying to register the annoying sound that's waking him up. Just as he sits up his phone quits ringing, just for Liam's to start, Liam groans as he shoots up and reaches blindly towards his nightstand to find his phone. Zayn chews his lip as Liam sleepily answers "...hello?" Liam yawns, before his eyes widen and he appears to be completely awake, "give me thirty minutes we're on our way" he murmurs into the phone before hanging up. Zayn eyes him curiously as Liam climbs out of the bed and pulls on a shirt, before throwing one to Zayn as well, "that was Ruth" he says slowly, and Zayn can feel his heart rate pick up, as he pulls the t-shirt on. "Apparently there's an issue with Bella, she woke up completely inconsolable, and nothing Ruth does is helping" Liam explains further, Zayn nods slowly as he climbs out of bed, the peace of the morning shattered by fear of what is wrong with his baby girl. Liam is suddenly in front of him "hey, I'm sure she's fine, we'll be there soon, yeah?" he murmurs, Zayn nods because he wants to believe Liam, he really does, and follows him from the bedroom, and out of the apartment.

Liam's barely stopped the car at Ruth's thirty minutes later, when Zayn opens the door and jumps out, he runs up onto the porch and is knocking on the door, before Liam catches up. He feels Liam wrap his arms around Zayn's waist from behind, and Zayn leans into him as he waits. The door opens a minute later, and Ethan grins tiredly at them, Zayn can hear Bella crying from upstairs, "Good morning" Ethan yawns and Liam chuckles as Zayn nods, "Mum's up in Kenzi's room with Bella, go ahead" the nine year old adds, and Zayn rockets past him, following the familiar cry to find the right room. Zayn stops in front of the open door and his heart breaks a little, Bella is curled into herself crying loudly, as she pushes Ruth's hands away whenever she tries to get close, and alternating between crying Zayn's name and Liam's. Zayn feels when Liam joins him a moment later, hears the sound he makes at seeing the toddler like this, Ruth turns to look at them then, a relieved look lighting up her face. She leaves Bella on the bed, and walks towards them, "she woke up like this and nothing is helping, I'm sorry guys I didn't know what else to do" Ruth explains. Zayn shakes his head "don't apologize, it's not your fault, how long's she been like this?" he asks. Ruth chews her lip as she thinks before sighing, "been about an hour, I would say" she answers. Zayn nods and moves past Ruth so he's standing beside the bed his daughter is sitting on, she pauses to look up at him and reaches out "Baba" she whines. Zayn doesn't hesitate to drop to his knees and pull her into his arms, rocking her back and forth gently.

Zayn hears murmuring by the door and looks up to see Ruth walking away and Liam coming to join them on the floor, his arms wrapping around the pair as they sit. Arabella buries her face into Zayn's shirt, as her sobs turn to whimpers, Zayn smooths down her hair, "now, what happened, lovely" he asks quietly. Bella sniffles and shakes her head, "no mummy. Why no mummy. I bad?" she asks quietly and Zayn growls lightly in his throat, as Liam makes a soothing noise and rubs at both Bella's back and Zayn's arm. Zayn knows there's no getting out of this conversation, but he was hoping it could wait until Bella was older, he also knows he's going to have to tell Liam what exactly happened between himself and Bella's mum. Zayn frowns, "Bella can you look at me?" he murmurs quietly and Bella lifts her tear streaked face out of Zayn's shirt to lock her eyes on his, "there's my girl" he murmurs. "Who made you think this, love?" he asks curiously, and Bella pouts "Mason, being mean to Bella, ask why no mummy. Bella don't know why" she whimpers. Zayn frowns and hears Liam sigh behind him, "alright, baby girl you're not bad. No you don't have a mummy, but it was nothing you did that made her not be here. She was a spoiled, selfish, girl, who couldn't see how wonderful you are. But you know what?" Zayn asks. Bella shakes her head in response and Zayn smiles lightly, "you don't need a mummy, because you've got me" he explains, "and me" Liam chimes in, and Zayn is grateful for him, and feels a warmth spreading across his chest, he nods, "and Daddy" he adds. Bella still looks unconvinced, so Zayn takes a deep breath, "and you have Grandma and all your aunties, and Uncle Louis and Uncle Harry" he lists off.