Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six – Liam

Liam pulls up outside the expensive and crowded restaurant, about an hour after leaving Ruth's, looking over to see Zayn shaking his head "what's wrong?" he asks gently. Zayn bites his lip and lets out a sigh before answering "Li, this is too much, I can't let you...I mean, we can't go here" he stumbles and Liam sighs. "Zayn, I want to spoil you, please just let me, just this once, please?" he asks, practically begs, and he can see Zayn's resolve wavering. Liam decides to go with the low blow he knows will make Zayn agree to using the reservation Liam made three weeks ago, "plus you never get to go out without Bella, except to work, let me do this for you" he murmurs. Zayn nods slowly, "you don't play fair" he mumbles "but fine, let's go in" he sighs. Liam inwardly cheers, before climbing out of the car and running around to help Zayn out, he ignores the paparazzi shouting questions at them in favour of helping Zayn climb out of the car. A valet appears as if from nowhere and takes the keys from Liam, who nods appreciatively before pulling Zayn in close to his side "just stick close to me, and ignore every word that comes out of their mouths, okay?" he murmurs. He feels rather than sees Zayn's nod in response, and starts to make his way the short distance to the door.

Once they make it into the dimly lit building, Zayn turns to look at him, "babe, what was that?" he asks slowly and Liam chuckles, "that was a glimpse into what happens when I go to these kinds of places" he answers. Zayn's eyes widen, "why have we never had this happen before?" Zayn asks. Liam shrugs he's not really sure, he assumes it's because they generally stay in, or go places that Liam wouldn't normally frequent. "Name?" a hostess asks stopping Liam from answering Zayn, "Liam Payne" he responds, and she arches an eyebrow, looking them both up and down, "right this way mister Payne" she purrs before leading them into the back of the restaurant. Once they're seated, she passes them each a menu, her fingers brushing over Liam's as she does, Liam looks up in time to see Zayn's eyes narrow, before a low growl slips from his throat. "Thank you" Liam mumbles clearing his throat, and the hostess disappears, with a glance over her shoulder at the pair. Liam reaches across to grab Zayn's hand "down boy" he teases, rubbing his thumb in what he hopes is a soothing manner over the back of Zayn's hand. Liam smirks as he watches Zayn's body relax, under his touch, "mine" Zayn mumbles, eyes locking on Liam. Liam grins and nods, "all yours babe" he murmurs, and Zayn smiles flipping his hand over to lace their fingers together.

Dinner after that is uneventful and Liam is grateful that the hostess never returns, and that the paparazzi aren't allowed inside the establishment, because he gets to spend time with just Zayn. He understands that the paparazzi are a part of his life, given that he's one of the youngest millionaires in the world, but he does enjoy time with his loved ones without being harassed. Zayn groans as he sets his fork down, having finished the chocolate cake he begged Liam to order him, "that was so good. But I'm so full" he groans and Liam laughs at him shaking his head, "you gonna make it, babe?" he teases, smirking when Zayn pouts. "So, what's next?" Zayn asks quietly, as their waitress brings the bill, Liam passes over his credit card without even looking at it, and she disappears again. "I was thinking movies" Liam says, because he wants to just do something relaxed, Zayn nods, "sounds like a plan to me" he mumbles. Liam knows Zayn wants to call to check on Bella, it's just eight o'clock and she'll be getting ready to go to bed, he quickly signs the receipt, taking his card back, and tucking it into his wallet. "You ready to get out of here, we can call Ruth's from the car" Liam murmurs, watching as Zayn's eyes light up at the idea, and he nods quickly.

Liam quickly calls Ruth as soon as they're settled in the car, it ringing loudly over the speakers, before Ruth picks up, Liam smiles because he can hear all the kids in the background, "hello, Liam, and I'm assuming Zayn" Ruth chimes. Liam chuckles "you got it, someone wanted to check in" he teases, looking over to see Zayn cross his arms and scoff, "as if this wasn't your idea" Zayn mutters. Liam laughs, as Ruth giggles, "all is well here, we made mini pizzas for dinner, and then watched a movie" she explains, and Liam watches Zayn relax. "Good, can we maybe talk to Bella for a minute?" Liam asks after a moment, Ruth laughs "of course, let me just get her" she answers. There's a slight banging sound as the phone is put down, and then they can hear Ruth's voice in the distance calling for Bella, "see Zayn, she's doing fine" Liam murmurs, Zayn nods, "I know, and I knew she would I just, it's hard" he murmurs. Liam nods because as much as he understands, this is something he really doesn't have any experience in "Daddy, Baba?" Bella asks suddenly through the phone, and Liam jumps, "hey baby girl" Zayn coos, "hi, princess" Liam greets, "we have pizza, and watch Tinkerbell"Bella exclaims. Liam chuckles, because of course it was Tinkerbell, that's Kenzi's favourite "are you being good?" Zayn asks gently, Bella makes a funny noise and Liam can imagine her rolling her eyes, "always good Baba" she mumbles, and he laughs, "I know you are baby" he replies. "What are you guys doing now?" Liam asks curiously, because neither Ruth or Bella is offering that information "getting jammies, then Auntie Ruth putting on movie in bed" she chimes. Liam exchanges a glance with Zayn at the name for Ruth and wonders if his sister heard it, Liam knows she's nearby, and wonders her reaction. Zayn nods, and clears his throat, "alright then I won't keep you, keep being good, and I'll see you in the morning. I love you" he says, Bella giggles "I love you too Baba, to the moon and back" she exclaims, Zayn grins, "to the moon and back" he agrees. "Goodnight Bella" Liam coos, "night daddy" she calls, before there's shuffling again and they know Bella's handed the phone back.