Chapter One Hundred Forty One

Chapter One Hundred Forty One – Zayn

Zayn's working in his classroom during his free period at school, he's trying to make his newest assignment make sense, because right now he doesn't understand what he wants, so how will all the teenagers manage it. Zayn likes to keep his assignments themselves simple, the expectations are always clear, and because of that he finds that everyone in his classes can succeed, even the ones who may have struggled a bit previously. A knock at the door pulls Zayn away from his work, looking up he frowns when he sees Ethan shifting his weight between his feet in the doorway. "Uncle Zayn, do you have a second?" Ethan asks quietly, Zayn frowns and takes in the thirteen year old's nervous appearance, he knows Ethan should be in his own class right now, and that Ruth has insisted if Zayn ever saw Ethan skipping again to call her right away so she can lock him up. But Zayn can just tell that Ethan needs something, it's been a couple months since their chat in his office at home, and he skipped school to go see Liam, but something is obviously bothering him. "Sure Buddy, c'mon in, shut the door" Zayn hums, gesturing to the seats in front of his desk.

Ethan drags his feet as he moves across the room, dropping to sit in one of the desks in the front row, "okay first I have to ask, does your teacher know where you are?" Zayn asks. Ethan chuckles, "yeah, Ms. Austen gave me a pass, told me I could come see you. She knew you have a free period" Ethan explains. Zayn nods biting his lip, so Ethan should be in Jessie's class right now, at least he's not skipping so neither one will be in trouble with Ruth. "I'm guessing this is about more than your english assignments" Zayn starts and Ethan nods rubbing at the back of his neck, "c'mon Bud you know whatever it is you can tell me" Zayn murmurs, Ethan just nodding slowly. "Um there's a new kid in my year, Justin" Ethan starts, Zayn nods at the information, he knows the new student in question. "Yeah, what about him?" Zayn asks slowly. Ethan sighs "I guess, Elliot got to him first and told him that I'm gay, and just outside of Ms. Austen's class he threw me into the lockers, and punched me in the stomach, calling me a stupid f-" he explains shakily cutting himself off, but Zayn knows what he means.

Zayn growls slightly, "who did, Elliot or Justin?" he asks carefully, Ethan huffs out a breath, "um it was Justin, but Elliot was there cheering him on, his girlfriend was too" he clarifies. Zayn nods, "okay, did Ms. Austen see it happen?" he asks slowly, and Ethan nods, "well she saw the end, and made him get off me, then she handed me a pass and told me to do what I had to do and reminded me you have your free period right now" he says. Zayn bites his lip "alright. Are you okay?" he asks softly and Ethan nods, "yeah, I mean my stomach hurts a little and I have a headache, but I'll be fine" he shrugs. Zayn frowns "you're not getting a migraine are you?" he asks knowing the boy is susceptible to them, Ethan shakes his head "not yet anyways" he mumbles.

It's quiet for a minute before Zayn gets up and comes around his desk, squeezing Ethan's shoulder before he sits in the desk beside him, "about what he called you" he starts quietly. When Ethan doesn't say anything Zayn continues "I know how hard it is, but try not to let him get in your head. I know how bad words like that can hurt, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with you liking boys, or girls, or whoever you like, okay?" he asks. Ethan nods slowly, "yeah. But how do you deal with it?" he asks quietly. Zayn bites his lip as he thinks back to when he was first coming out, and there were always people who didn't approve, but he always had Louis on his side, and Harry, which helped. "I had some really good friends, and the best family always there to remind me that what other people say doesn't matter and at the end of the day it's just a word. A hurtful, stupid word" Zayn explains. Ethan nods, not saying anything and Zayn reaches over to squeeze his nephew's arm "I know you've kind of lost Elliot, but you've got a lot of great friends here Ethan, I've seen you with them, and none of them seem to care. I also know it's not fair that Elliot is basically outing you to everyone, but I think he's just jealous of you E" he hums.