Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty – Liam

Liam's awake early, he always is, but especially when there is a tiny foot, or it could be an elbow, pushing into his spine. He wants very badly to move the toddler, but she looks so peaceful and he remembers the way she was last night and just how exhausted Zayn looked, that he doesn't want to risk waking Bella up, in case she wakes up Zayn as well. Liam manages to reach his phone where it dropped beside the bed the night before, quickly texting Niall that he will not be in today, that something came up with Bella and Zayn and he needs to take the day for them. He knows there's nothing important going on at the office, it's nothing he can't work on from wherever he is, as long as he has a computer. Niall texts him back fairly quickly, cursing Liam for waking him up, but otherwise completely fine with the rest of the message's content. Liam drops his phone back to the floor gently, it landing with a dull thud, before he shifts again to get what is definitely Bella's foot out of his back, his movement causes the two and a half year old to whine, and shift around, but she doesn't actually wake up. Liam's not entirely sure Zayn will go for skipping today, but hopes the younger man will agree to just staying home with him and Bella, to relax for a day.

Liam's bored he's been awake for an hour, but no one else in the apartment is when he feels stirring beside him, Arabella blinks her eyes open, rubbing at them with her fists before focusing in on Liam. She grins when she sees him still there, and bounces up to climb on top of him "Daddy, you stayed" she exclaims. Liam chuckles nodding his head, "yes, I stayed, I told you I would, but shh Princess. Baba's still sleeping" he murmurs. Bella looks between him and a still sleeping Zayn who has kicked the covers mostly off his lower half, "wake Baba up?" she asks biting her lip, and smirking lightly at Liam. Liam shakes his head, "no let's let Baba sleep for a bit" he tells her. Bella pouts but nods her head, "wake Uncle Louis?" she asks, her hazel eyes sparkling mischievously. Liam laughs shaking his head, "no, not him either, why do you want to wake them up so badly, am I not enough for you?" he pouts. Arabella's eyes widen at Liam's fake pout, "no be sad Daddy' she whines and Liam feels bad for making her think she's upset him. "I'm not sad, I was just pretending" Liam explains, making Bella furrow her eyebrows at him, shaking her head, her messy, raven curls flicking into her face as she does. "We can go make Baba and Uncle Louis breakfast though" Liam suggests, watching as her eyes light up when she nods excitedly.

Liam settles for making waffles after surveying what Zayn and Louis have in the house for ingredients, he could make pancakes too, but he's better at waffles, plus they're more fun. Bella is standing on a chair beside him holding a spoon, waiting for him to tell her what to do, he hands her the measuring cup of flour and has her dump it into the bowl. They continue in this way until Liam and Bella have mixed up a perfect batch of waffle batter, "now we need to cook them" Liam sings and Bella grins, "I go play, Daddy cook" she insists. Liam chuckles, "you're not going to help me?" he asks and she shakes her head, "Bella not" she insists climbing down from the chair and disappearing into the other room. Liam follows after her to find her sprawled on the floor with a colouring book, remembering the last time he arches an eyebrow "what do we colour on Bella?" he asks and she huffs, "only paper" she recites, and Liam nods "that's right" he murmurs knowing Zayn has been drilling that fact into her head after the last incident. "I'll just be in the kitchen if you need me" Liam reminds her, his only response a wave of her tiny hand, before he heads back into the kitchen.

Liam's cooked about half the waffles before he hears footsteps coming into the kitchen, he knows it's Zayn, even before he comes around the corner. Zayn walks in sleepily rubbing his eyes, "why did you shut off my alarm? We're all going to be late now" he mumbles, accepting the cup of coffee Liam holds out to him. "Good morning to you too" Liam mumbles and Zayn sighs, "I'm sorry, good morning Li. Thank you for coming last night" he murmurs. Liam grins "not a problem, and I turned off your alarm because I was hoping you'd agree to staying home with me and Bella today" he explains. He can see Zayn thinking about it, trying to decide if it's possible or not before the younger nods his head "alright, yeah. Just let me call somebody" he mumbles before disappearing back down the hall.