Chapter Sixty Two

Chapter Sixty Two – Liam

Liam watches fondly as Zayn chases Bella around the playground, the toddler giggling madly as she dashes away from him every time he gets close. "Uncle Liam!" Mason calls and Liam grins, turning to see his sister and her three kids approaching, "hey Mase, how are you?" he asks, as the five year old reaches him. Mason shrugs, "tired" he mumbles and Liam laughs, "me too Bub" he chuckles as Mason leans on his arm and Ruth sits down on his other side, Kenzi wriggling to the ground. "Uncle Liam, guess what?" Kenzi calls excitedly, "what is it Kenz?" Liam asks, eyebrows raising, "Mummy says, Daddy is coming home early" Kenzi exclaims, arms flinging out to the sides in excitement. "That's great" Liam cheers and Kenzi grins, before turning to Ruth "can I go play now?" she asks, gesturing to where Bella is now climbing up the play structure, Ruth laughs, nodding her head, "just stay where I can see you" she answers as Kenzi takes off. "What's the matter with Ethan?" Liam asks gesturing to where the nine (almost ten) year old is leaning against a tree, kicking at the ground a little ways away. Ruth shrugs, "I don't really know, he just woke up in a mood. I don't think he got enough sleep last night" she answers. Liam nods in understanding "hey Ethan, you going to come say hi?" he calls over. Liam's only response is a slight wave before Ethan goes back to kicking at the ground.

Mason jumps up a few minutes later, "I'm going to play too" he mumbles before running off just as Zayn comes back to the bench, "I'm tired Liii" he whines, and Liam laughs wrapping an arm around him, "poor baby" he teases. "What's with him?" Zayn asks, suddenly noticing Ethan, Ruth shrugs as Liam shakes his head, "nobody knows" he murmurs. Zayn frowns and Liam can see the wheels turning in his fiancé's head, before Zayn gets up and moves towards the nine year old. Liam watches as Zayn rests a hand on the boy's shoulder, before talking quietly, Ethan shakes his head, before falling into Zayn's chest and hugging him tightly. Liam smiles gently at the scene as Ruth frowns, "how did he do that?" she asks and Liam shakes his head "do what?" he asks confused. Ruth just sighs, "I've been trying to get him to talk all morning, but got nothing, he wouldn't even tell Ben anything on the phone" she muses. Liam just shakes his head watching as Zayn comforts his nephew, "Zayn's got magic powers, I think" he murmurs and Ruth snorts, nodding her head in agreement.

Liam makes grabby hands at Zayn as he comes back over to the bench a few minutes later, Ethan trailing close behind him, Zayn laughs pressing close to Liam's side. Liam lets his gaze rest on his nephew who sits close to Zayn, head resting on his shoulder, before Liam's gaze moves to see Bella, playing something with Kenzi and Mason by the slide. "Everything okay?" Liam murmurs gesturing to Ethan, Zayn nods, as Ruth looks on worriedly, "did he tell you what's wrong?" Ruth asks, the same time Ethan mumbles "I can hear you, you know." Liam watches as Zayn mumbles something to Ethan, who nods slowly, before closing his eyes, head still resting against Zayn's shoulder. "He's tired, but he also really misses Ben, and he says he feels like his brain is trying to escape his skull" Zayn explains, keeping his voice low, Liam's eyes widen at the information, as Ruth gasps, jumping off the bench to kneel down in front of her oldest son. "Ethan, buddy, look at me please?" Ruth pleads, as Liam bites his lip watching, and lacing his fingers with Zayn's. "Hurts Mum" Ethan whimpers, looking at her briefly, before letting his head fall back against Zayn, "as bad as last time?" Ruth asks and Ethan nods weakly. "What is going on?" Liam asks quietly, and Ruth sighs, "I think I'm going to have to take him to a doctor. He's started getting migraines" she mumbles, brushing some hair off Ethan's face. Zayn bites his lip and Liam knows him enough to know he's planning something, "you go. Take Ethan, we can watch the other two" Zayn says suddenly, Liam just nods because of course they can. Ruth smiles standing up and helping Ethan do the same "thank you" she murmurs before starting to walk away, but Ethan stops and turns back "thanks Uncle Zayn" he murmurs, and Zayn just smiles, "anytime bud" he smiles, "feel better" Zayn adds, and Liam nods his agreement.