Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One – Zayn

Zayn groans as he throws another pile of Bella's toys into a box, before taping it closed, pulling the Sharpie from his back pocket, to scribble the contents of the box across the lid, before sliding it across the room and reaching for another one. Packing is absolutely no fun, and Zayn has decided he never wants to do it again, ever. There's knocking on the door and Zayn furrows his eyebrows confused at who it could be, because he knows Liam is working, and Louis has keys, and Bella is napping in her room. He makes his way over, pulling the door open to see Ruth standing there, with Kenzi, Mason, and Ethan behind her. "Hey, what are you guys doing here? C'mon in" Zayn asks, stepping aside to let Liam's sister and her kids enter the apartment. Ruth shrugs, hugging Zayn quickly, "I thought you might want some help, considering my brother is working on a Saturday. And you're supposed to move in a week" Ruth explains. Zayn grins, "thank you" he mumbles, but Ruth waves him away as Kenzi tugs on the bottom of his shirt. Zayn crouches down to be at her level "yes?" he asks and Kenzi blushes, "Uncle Zayn, where Bella?" she asks. Zayn smiles, "she's still napping, but should be up soon" he answers. Kenzi nods her head slowly before turning away from Zayn.

Zayn sets the kids up with a movie before he and Ruth disappear towards his bedroom to pack up some more stuff. It's as they're emptying his closet which is full of all kinds of things Zayn had forgotten he even owns, that Ruth opens up to him. "Zayn?" she asks slowly, and he pauses where he's sorting through a random bag he found, arching an eyebrow at her in response. "I just wanted to say thank you" she says slowly and Zayn furrows his eyebrows confused, "for what?" he asks. Ruth sighs, "for how happy you make Liam. He had basically given up on ever having a family and then you and Bella came along, and I don't think I've ever seen my brother so happy" she explains. Zayn bites his lip, "to be honest I never thought I'd find anyone either, not anyone I wanted near my child anyways. But then Liam came along and now here we are" he says honestly. Ruth smiles, pulling Zayn into another hug, "I'm pretty sure you two are soul mates" she giggles and Zayn sighs rolling his eyes as he turns back to his sorting. But he can't help thinking that maybe Liam's sister has a point.

There's another knock on the door an hour later, and Zayn hears it open a moment later, so he assumes it's Liam, coming in after work, like he had promised earlier. A minute later he hears Bella cheer "Daddy" and knows he's right, "why are my niece and nephews in your living room?" Liam asks as he walks around the open door. Ruth shakes her head at him, as Zayn sighs and gestures to where Ruth is standing, "at least one Payne is helpful when it comes to packing" he teases. Liam rolls his eyes, and leans over to give Zayn a kiss, just as Bella and Kenzi come running into the room "Baba, Daddy?" Bella asks as she climbs onto Zayn's bed. Zayn pulls away from Liam to arch an eyebrow at his daughter, just as Kenzi looks at Ruth with wide eyes "Mummy?" she asks. "What would you two like?" Ruth asks, as Zayn tosses another pair of forgotten shoes into the box he's been packing. Bella pouts at Zayn and he knows she wants something "what is it Boo?" he asks, sitting beside her, "I stay Kenzi?" she asks eyes wide. Zayn looks from Bella to Liam and then to Ruth who nods her head, "it's okay with me" she says slowly. Zayn bites his lip, while he thinks and Liam wraps an arm around his waist, nosing at his neck, "it would be nice to have another night to ourselves and we can probably finish packing your stuff" Liam suggests. Zayn sighs and nods slowly, making Bella squeal excitedly.

So now instead of packing for the quickly approaching move, Zayn is packing a bag for Bella to spend the night at Liam's sister's again. He knows it's silly but he's still hesitant about the idea and it has nothing to do with what happened the last time, because he knows Mason didn't mean to upset his daughter. No he's nervous because he still isn't sure how he feels about Bella being away from him when he's not at school or work. He spends so much of his life away from the toddler for those reasons that he wants to spend all the rest of his time with her. "What are you thinking so hard about?" Liam asks suddenly making Zayn jump and drop the pyjamas he was holding onto. Zayn bites his lip as he looks at Liam and weighs his options, because he knows he's ridiculous, knows it's not too much to ask for a little time for him every now and then, "it's stupid" he mumbles in response to Liam's question. "I'm sure it's not, just tell me" Liam insists, and Zayn sighs, "I just I feel guilty about not spending tonight with Bella. She spends so much time away from me, I just feel bad" he explains, quietly. Liam clicks his tongue and steps closer his arms wrapping around Zayn's waist, "don't feel bad, she asked to spend the night at Ruth's. And you're allowed to have a night for you Zayn, all parents do it" Liam murmurs. Zayn sighs and leans into Liam more, "I guess" he mumbles still not entirely convinced.