Chapter Fifty Six

Chapter Fifty Six – Liam

Liam's tired the next morning, as he makes coffee and tries to decide if going into the office is actually something he's going to do today. After Bella arrived in their bed in the middle of the night, and Liam chased away any and all monsters, she and Zayn slipped back into an easy sleep. Liam however wasn't so lucky he woke up again an hour later, when Arabella started whimpering in her sleep, she stopped quickly but he was now awake, and concerned. Last night he was able to protect her, but the cast covering her one arm is proof that, that isn't always the case and it set his mind to work and there was no more sleep for Liam after that. He's slumped against the counter as he waits for the coffee maker to finish when he hears footsteps coming up behind him, before arms wrap around his waist and Zayn's head rests against his back. "You look exhausted, did Bella keep you up last night?" Zayn asks concerned, Liam turns in his arms, shaking his head, "not her, just my brain" he mumbles. Zayn nods slowly, pulling him in closer, Liam goes willingly allowing the slightly smaller man to cuddle him close, "what's on your mind?" Zayn hums, running a hand up and down Liam's back soothingly. Liam groans, "I just was thinking about how I'm perfectly capable of protecting Bella from the monsters under her bed, but I'm not so sure I can protect her from the things that actually matter" he mutters. Zayn sighs in response before he surges up and molds their mouths together in a deep kiss, Liam responds almost instantly, arms wrapping tightly around Zayn's waist as he does so.

When they break apart they're both breathless and panting, "not that I mind, but what was that for?" Liam pants and Zayn grins, "just wanted to kiss you, you seemed like you needed it" he shrugs. Liam narrows his eyes at that, not entirely convinced, but decides to let it drop, for now, as he can hear Bella's small, clumsy footsteps coming down the hallway as they speak. "Baba, Daddy, where go?" she calls as she gets closer, and Zayn laughs before Bella runs the last few steps towards them, and reaches for Liam. Liam stifles a yawn as he scoops her into his arms, her snuggling close to his chest, Zayn sends him a smug look as he walks towards the fridge, to get something out to make for breakfast, and if Liam wasn't so tired he would ask him what it's all about. As it stands Liam's too tired this morning to do much of anything, Bella pats his cheek, and Liam hums to indicate he's listening to her, "down Daddy" she demands, pointing at the floor, Liam chuckles but sets her down, watching as she runs into the other room. Zayn's back in Liam's personal space as soon as Arabella leaves it, crowding into him and pressing a kiss to his lips, "why don't you call Niall, stay home today, catch up on some sleep. I'll take Bella to my mum's and come back, after I hand in a couple assignments" he murmurs. Liam nods, leaning down to kiss Zayn again, "that sounds good, but you don't need to skip school" he mumbles, and Zayn shrugs, "but I want to, you need me today, I can tell" he answers. Liam blinks slowly because it's all he really can do, when Zayn's basically reading his mind, nodding, he steps away from Zayn to pour himself a cup of the now finished coffee.

The apartment is quiet, in a way it hasn't been in the months since Zayn and Bella moved in, and Liam's not sure how he ever lived in it before, he couldn't stand it if it was always like this now. Zayn and Bella have been gone for fifteen minutes, with Zayn promising to be back in an hour, but Liam doesn't know what to do with himself in the meantime. He's glad he's getting a day with just Zayn, since his conversation with Louis, and his thoughts about protecting Bella he just needs someone to help him put his mind at ease. Liam flips on the TV before flopping on the couch to wait for Zayn to return, he can hear his phone buzzing from wherever he left it, in the kitchen he thinks, but he can't be bothered to get up right now to find it, it's probably just Niall returning his call anyways.

Liam jumps when he hears the apartment door close, he must have fallen asleep, Zayn is suddenly in front of him, smiling down at him from in front of the couch, Liam's phone in his hand. "Sorry I was gone a little longer than I thought. And here you have like twelve missed calls from Niall" Zayn says, tossing the phone to Liam, who catches it, furrowing his eyebrows, "what time is it?" he mumbles and Zayn laughs, flopping down beside him, "almost eleven" he chuckles. Liam's eyes widen, that means Zayn was gone for almost three hours, "and I slept the whole time?" he mumbles more to himself than anything and Zayn laughs nodding, "yes, but you needed it" he murmurs, leaning over to press a kiss to Liam's jaw. Liam turns his head, and catches Zayn's lips with his own before the younger can pull away completely, "stay right here" he mumbles against his mouth, Zayn chuckles, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else" he mumbles back. Liam smiles, wrapping his arms more tightly around Zayn, allowing the both of them to fall back against the couch as they kiss.