Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five – Zayn

Zayn curses as he makes his way towards Liam's door, it's after midnight, and now he has to wake his boyfriend up just to get inside, he hopes Liam's not too asleep but feels bad, as he knocks. There's a pause, before Zayn hears stumbling footsteps and the door is pulled open to reveal a tired looking Liam, wearing sweatpants and a wrinkled tank top. "I'm so sorry, but I don't have a key or anything" Zayn murmurs, pressing a kiss to Liam's cheek as he walks into the apartment. Liam frowns shaking his head, "no, it's fine I was still awake I knew I'd have to let you in" he yawns, pulling Zayn into his arms, wrinkling his nose, Zayn chuckles "I know I smell like pizza" he laughs, Liam nods. "How was she?" Zayn asks as they head towards the living room, both sitting on the couch and Liam pulling Zayn in closer "she was upset because I don't have any toys, and she refused to eat broccoli, which is weird because I've seen her do it before, and then she wouldn't sleep anywhere but in my bed. But she was great, really Zee" Liam explains. Zayn's eyes dart around the room before he takes Liam in, "good, yeah I should have warned you, I don't know where it comes from but she refuses to eat anything green right now" he sighs. Liam's eyebrows furrow and Zayn laughs, "yeah it was new as of this morning" he explains, and Liam nods.

Zayn leans on Liam, the pair sitting quietly for a minute, "I need to tell you something Zee" Liam mumbles after a minute and Zayn frowns, turning so he can see Liam, "no, it's nothing bad, well not for us" Liam murmurs. Zayn relaxes slightly and nods, gesturing for Liam to continue, "Niall's sleeping in the guest room, he caught Jace cheating on him, and they broke up" he explains. Zayn frowns, he doesn't know Jace well, only met him once or twice but he feels bad for Niall, "that sucks "Zayn says and Liam nods, "yeah, so he may need me around a little more for the next little while" he adds. Zayn nods because obviously Liam needs to be there for his best friend, Zayn would never stand in the way of that, ever "of course, Li" he murmurs snuggling more into Liam. The pair fall back into silence before Liam pats Zayn's leg gently, "we should get to bed" he yawns, and Zayn chuckles nodding, allowing himself to be pulled up and led down the hall to Liam's bedroom. He smiles at the sight of Bella curled up in the middle of the bed, Bunny clutched under her arm, and her dark hair falling into her face, Zayn pouts, because she looks adorable, but he feels bad for not being there to put her to bed, again. Zayn leans over and kisses her forehead lightly, before turning around to see Liam holding out a pair of sweatpants for him, "thank you" he mumbles, kicking off his jeans and pulling them on, before climbing onto the bed and pulling off his t-shirt.

The next morning Zayn is woken up by a loud thump, followed by quiet cursing, he blinks his eyes open to be met with a tangle of dark, curly hair, before he gently moves it aside and he can see Liam attempting to get ready for work. He takes a moment to drink Liam in, as the older hasn't seen he's awake yet, Liam's barefoot, wearing his suit pants, the dress shirt hanging off his broad shoulders is still unbuttoned and his tie is hanging undone around his neck. Zayn bites his lip, pushing himself into a sitting position, careful not to wake Bella, where she's curled up beside him "Good morning" he says, voice raspy from sleep. Liam jumps and spins to face him, "Morning. I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" he asks, Zayn shakes his head, carefully climbing out of the bed, moving across to wrap his arms around Liam, "no, I would have woken up soon anyways" he answers. Liam nods, leaning down to gently kiss Zayn's lips, "I messaged Elise, and Nikki, Niall and I won't be going in until closer to ten today. I think he needs a little more rest, and the company won't fall apart without us for a couple hours" Liam murmurs. Zayn nods, playing with the undone tie, "then, why are you up so early?" Zayn asks, glancing at the clock to see it's barely seven AM. Liam shrugs, "habit, and I didn't want to disturb you and Bella, so I got up to get ready. Was gonna make breakfast too" he explains. Zayn grins at that, "you can still make me breakfast, I won't object" he teases making Liam roll his eyes.