Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen – Zayn

Zayn bites his lip as he watches Liam's nephews playfully chase both Bella and Kenzi around the backyard, it wasn't long after he told Kenzi about Bella that she came back outside, Bella running behind her to play. Liam wraps an arm around his waist from behind and he leans into it, "you okay?" Liam asks and Zayn nods, turning to look at him, "your nephews are really gentle" he chuckles and Liam shrugs, "Ruth and Nicola would kill them if they hurt Kenzi, or Bella now" he explains and Zayn laughs, "they are troublemakers though" Liam adds thoughtfully and Zayn nods. "Baba" Bella calls running up to him and wrapping her arms around his knees, "I tired, need drink" she pants, and Zayn chuckles, handing her the sippy cup he's been holding while she plays, "thank you" she giggles as she takes a sip. Ethan appears then "Uncle Liam?" he asks, and Zayn watches as Liam reaches out to ruffle his hair, "yeah bud?" Liam asks, "can you and Zayn play football with us?" he asks, as James and Mason run over, James holding a ball in his hands. Kenzi runs over next tugging on her brother's shirt, "nooo ball" she whines and Liam laughs, making Zayn chuckle, "I'll play, but you have to ask Zayn if he wants to" Liam answers. Zayn grins as the nine year old bites his lip and turns to face him, "do you want to play football, with us?" Ethan asks quickly, and Zayn laughs shrugging, "sure, but I'm not very good" he answers. James laughs "neither is Uncle Liam" he teases, sticking out his tongue and dodging Liam's playful swat in his direction. Liam pouts, turning to Zayn and Zayn wonders how he'll manage because pouty Liam is the most adorable sight he's ever seen, "they're mean" he whines and Zayn laughs, pressing a kiss to his pouted lip, "you'll live" he soothes, as Ethan, James, and Mason all chorus "ew, gross", Liam laughs and pulls Zayn in for another kiss, and Zayn knows it's just to torture his nephews.

Bella's pouting at him, while Zayn chases the ball and half-heartedly tries to keep the ball away from the four year old that's determined to take it from him, Mason succeeds and runs in the other direction laughing. Zayn stops in front of where Bella is sitting with Kenzi, and Liam's sister Nicola, "what's wrong, Boo?" he asks, dropping to his knees, "Baba we play" Bella pouts, and it suddenly all clicks. "Do you and Kenzi want to play?" Zayn asks slowly, as Liam comes up beside him "what's going on?" he asks, and Bella turns her pout on him, "I play Leeyum" she whines, as Kenzi nods her head. Zayn chuckles and stands up beside Liam "the girls want to play" he murmurs and Liam nods, holding his hands out to the two toddlers, "c'mon then" he shrugs. Zayn grins as Bella cheers and grabs Liam's hand, allowing him to pull her to her feet, before turning back to Kenzi, "you comin'?" she asks, Kenzi grins and nods before grabbing Liam's other hand and allowing herself to be pulled up. Zayn and Liam lead the girls back over to where they were playing, James and Mason groan when they see the toddlers but Ethan smiles, "you gonna play today Kenz?" he asks, grinning when his sister nods, "Bella too" Bella huffs and Zayn can't help but laugh, "you're gonna play too?" Ethan asks, excitedly, with wide eyes, and Zayn grins, he's glad the oldest of the kids is so accepting, and really is good with all the others. Liam chuckles as he leads the girls closer and Zayn watches him interact with all the kids, his bottom lip caught between his teeth. He jumps when he feels a hand on his shoulder, spinning to face Ruth "he's always been amazing with the kids" she explains, gesturing to where Liam is trying to convince Mason, and James the girls playing is okay, "I've noticed" Zayn smirks. Ruth grins,"I'm glad he found you, I mean he's happier than he has been in a long time" she explains, and Zayn grins, "I'm glad I found him too" he murmurs, Ruth pats his shoulder before disappearing back into the house when her mum calls her name.

The game (if you can call it that) only lasts a few more minutes before Karen is calling everyone to come and eat, Zayn finds himself sitting beside Nicola's husband, Ryan, with Bella on his other side, and Liam beside Bella. He's content to watch everyone interact, there's no doubt that Liam's family is close, and truly enjoy each other's company, "so Zayn,what do you do?" Ryan asks between bites. Zayn finishes chewing and takes a sip of his drink to calm his nerves and organize his thoughts, Liam reaches around Bella to rest a hand on his back, and Zayn's grateful for it, "I, um. I'm studying to be an English teacher at Uni, and I work in this little pizza place in London" he says, looking away and blushing at the end. This is the part where everyone else makes fun of him, and tells him exactly how wrong he is for Liam, too young, too poor, whatever else they can come up with. It never happens though, everyone just nods "that's great. How many more years of school do you have?" Geoff asks, and Zayn looks towards him, "I'm in my last one actually" he answers, Geoff nods, "excellent" he says, turning his attention back to his lunch. The conversation stays away from all things work and school related for everyone after that, and Zayn is thankful, because he really doesn't want to talk about how he evenly cuts pizzas for a living right now.