Chapter Six

Chapter Six - Liam

Liam can't wipe the smile off his face, hasn't been able to since Zayn called him yesterday, he honestly figured the raven haired waiter would throw his number away and never even think twice. But he didn't do that, he called and Liam managed to not screw it all up, and has a date with him, this afternoon, actually in an hour. Liam had to get Elise to reschedule a few things to make sure he wouldn't have to rush out on the boy but he honestly doesn't care, he has a date, with Zayn and he feels like a teenager again, but he can't wait. There's a knock on his office door, that interrupts his childish fantasizing about Zayn, before Niall barges into his office, "so you ready for today Payno?" Niall asks, perching on the edge of Liam's desk, (which the blond knows he hates). Liam glares at him before nodding, "I think so, I don't even know if it's a date Niall, what if I screw it up somehow?" he asks nervously, chewing on the inside of his cheek. Niall laughs and stands up to come around to hug Liam, "just be yourself Li, I have a good feeling about this one" he reassures him. Liam sighs and pulls away from Niall, "I just want a relationship that works, you know?" he asks, loosening his tie, Niall nods and reaches out to fix it for him "I get it Li, and maybe this is the one" he says. Liam nods and takes a deep breath, "I should probably get going, got a bit of a drive and don't want to be late" he says, slowly, Niall nods and hugs him again. "Call if you need me, but good luck" he says, before following Liam out of the office.

Liam stops at Elise's desk on his way to his car, "hold all my calls, I probably won't be back in today" he tells her, and she nods, "good luck, Liam" she cheers. Liam grins "thanks, you can skip out early if you want to today" he tells her, she really has gotten a lot better in the week since Nikki set her straight about Liam, and his preferences. Elise grins, "I might take you up on that" she grins and Liam nods, before heading towards the elevator again. Once inside with the door closed, Liam sighs and slumps against the wall, he really hopes that things with Zayn work out, he hasn't had a real relationship in longer than he cares to admit. But he feels something when he thinks about Zayn, something he hasn't felt in a long time, something he hopes is real. He steps off the elevator and heads towards his car, once inside he starts it up and turns the radio up loud, before pulling out and driving towards the diner he told Zayn he'd meet him at. Liam's looking forward to getting to know Zayn better today, he learned yesterday that Zayn is only twenty two, while Liam is twenty five, but he can't help feeling like there is something that Zayn was keeping from him on the phone, something he kept dancing around. Liam only hopes it isn't something terrible, because to be fair, he never told Zayn he was in charge of a multimillion dollar company. But he will, Liam decides, if lunch goes well, he'll tell Zayn today.

Liam arrives at the diner, five minutes before he's supposed to meet Zayn and with one last look in the mirror to make sure he looks presentable, he climbs out of his car and heads inside. He immediately spots Zayn sitting at a table, sipping what appears to be a Coke, and it makes Liam smile, that he's early, that Zayn cares enough to be not only on time but early. Zayn looks up as Liam approaches and Liam feels his breath catch as their eyes meet, "Zayn, I'm glad you could make it" he manages not to stutter, and Zayn grins, "I need to eat, why not with a handsome stranger?" Zayn asks. Liam chuckles, and nods "touchè" he responds as he sits across from Zayn, just as a waitress breezes over, "hey, can I get ya a drink?" she asks Liam, who nods, "I'll just have a Coke" he says and she nods disappearing as quickly as she came. The waitress returns before Liam or Zayn have a chance to say anything to each other, placing a Coke in front of Liam, "have you decided?" she asks, arching an eyebrow, Zayn chuckles "I'll just have a burger and fries, please" he answers her, and she turns expectantly to Liam, who shrugs and gestures at Zayn "same, I guess" he says, slowly. Zayn lets out a laugh as their rushed waitress nods and runs off again. Liam furrows his eyebrows "what just happened?" he asks a still laughing Zayn, who shakes his head. "What happened is, you just met Erica, she's in a few of my classes and always in a hurry" Zayn shrugs and Liam laughs, nodding his head.