Chapter Seventy Three

Chapter Seventy Three – Zayn

Zayn waits until the last of his seventh grade English students file out of the classroom before he sighs deeply, sinking down into the chair behind his desk. Pulling open his bottom drawer he pulls his lunch out, deciding he'll just grade a few of the essays he received today, while eating. He knows he should be an adult about it all and just go into the staff room, but his less than friendly coworkers make that not an enjoyable idea. There's tapping on his door, which draws his attention away from unwrapping his sandwich to see Jessie, the only person in the school besides his students who will talk to him, "hey you busy?" she asks, and Zayn shakes his head, motioning for her to come inside the classroom. She does so with a wide smile, her dark brown hair pulled into a messy bun today, and she's wearing a pair of black leggings underneath an oversized sweater. "Zayn, I thought you said you were coming to the staff room today" Jessie sighs, as she sits on one of the desks in the front row, Zayn just shrugs, taking a bite of his sandwich, "had some work to finish" he mumbles. Jessie rolls her eyes but doesn't push it and Zayn's grateful for it, she's only a year older than he is, and they got along really well, really quickly. "I just wish I knew what I did to them" Zayn mumbles. Jessie snorts as she takes a drink of something that Zayn can't quite figure out what it is, "you didn't do anything, the other teachers here, don't like anyone or anything new and different, it took them six months to accept me" she explains. Zayn just sighs, leaning back to take another bite of his sandwich, "how did you get them to do that?" he asks quietly, Jessie just shakes her head, "I just didn't let them get to me, I made a couple friends and then Ta-Da they all stopped" she murmurs. Zayn nods his head, thinking it over, as Jessie moves to look at the pictures of Liam and Bella on his desk, he doesn't bother to stop her, she knows all about his fiancé and daughter, and she's seen all the pictures before. "Hang in there Zayn" Jessie murmurs, patting his shoulder before leaving the classroom as there's another knock on his door, this time one of his students.

Zayn's never been more glad that it was the end of the day, or Friday he's looking forward to the next two days home with his family, he can't wait to go pick up Bella, and he's considering just getting pizza for dinner on his way home. Zayn's lost in thought as he packs up the papers he needs to grade this weekend and his lesson plans for the next two weeks, so he doesn't notice there's another person in the classroom with him. Zayn jumps when someone clears their throat, looking up to see the Science teacher, Jason Holmes, looking at him, the look on his face is less than friendly and Zayn groans, "what can I help you with?" he asks as politely as he can, Jason just rolls his eyes, "nothing really. But I have a message for you, from a friend of mine" he sneers, and Zayn just raises an eyebrow at the slightly older man, so Jason continues, "I know you know Sadie. She wanted me to let you know that she's not done with you guys yet, and to watch yourself" he says simply before turning and walking out the door. Zayn lets the words sink in as he falls back into his chair, how does Sadie know his coworkers, and what is she talking about? Zayn runs a hand through his hair in frustration before grabbing his things and bolting from the classroom, he just wants to be at home, away from here and with Liam and not think about anything related to schools or Sadie for two days.

Zayn should have known better than to try and pick Bella up from his mum's in the state he's currently in, should have known that his mum who knows him better than anyone, who he's never been able to hide anything from, would see right through him and know something had happened. So it really shouldn't have surprised him when he was lead into the kitchen and told to sit, while Waliyha took Bella into the other room to keep her occupied while his mum made him tea. "Want Baba" Bella whines loudly from the other room, before she comes barrelling into the kitchen Waliyha right behind her, as she dives into Zayn's lap, "hey Boo" Zayn murmurs, dropping a kiss to her hair, as she snuggles into him, "missed you" she mumbles. Zayn smiles lightly, "I missed you too. But can you go play with Auntie Waliyha for a few minutes and then we'll go home and see Daddy, okay" he murmurs. Bella cocks her head to the side as she thinks it over before nodding and reaching towards Waliyha to be picked up just as the kettle boils. Zayn lets his head drop to the table as soon as the two girls are gone, and Trisha smiles gently at him as she sets a cup of tea in front of him, Zayn doesn't have to ask because he knows it will be perfect, just the way he likes it, it always is. Zayn takes a sip of the scorching hot, but perfectly sweetened drink, watching closely as his mum does the same, she hasn't said anything yet but he knows it's coming. "How was she today?" Zayn asks, gesturing towards the other room, Trisha smiles, "she was great, always is though" she murmurs, Zayn nods, because his mum rarely has issues with Bella. "Zayn, what happened today?" Trisha asks gently and Zayn sighs shaking his head, and sipping his tea, "I don't really even know" he mumbles, "well, you know how none of my coworkers will really talk to me, one of them came to me as I was getting ready to leave, with a stupid message from Sadie, that I'm still trying to figure out" Zayn explains. Trisha nods, standing up to move behind him, resting her hands on his shoulders, "don't let any of them get in your head, you have a beautiful family and a supportive fiancé, you'll figure this out" she says kissing his head.