Chapter Seventy Nine

Chapter Seventy Nine – Zayn

Zayn's phone rings as he's packing up his things to go home Wednesday afternoon, "hello" he answers without looking at the caller ID, "Zayn I miss you and haven't seen you in a decade. Come and meet me before you go pick up Bella" Louis answers him. Zayn chuckles and slings his bag  over his shoulder, "I miss you too Louis. And where do you want to meet?" he asks. Louis snorts at that "as if you have to ask, you know where" he sasses and Zayn sighs, he and Louis have been going to the same coffee shop for years now. "I'll meet you there in thirty minutes Lou" Zayn murmurs, laughing when Louis cheers and hangs up the phone without another word. Zayn shakes his head as he stuffs his phone back into his pocket, quickly exiting his classroom and locking the door before heading to the parking lot and his car. He runs into Jessie when he gets outside and she smiles widely at him, "have a good night Zayn" she chimes as she climbs into her car, "you too" he answers before Jessie pulls the door shut and Zayn gets into his own car, throwing his bag into the back as he does.

Zayn starts the car before calling Liam, he knows he's still working so he's not entirely surprised when he doesn't get an answer. Sighing Zayn hangs up and calls the office this time, it rings three times before getting picked up "Payne Industries, Elise speaking" Elise answers sounding more professional than Zayn's ever heard, "hey Elise, it's Zayn" he answers as he pulls out onto the road. Elisa giggles "oh, hey Zayn, how are you?" she asks, Zayn chuckles. "yeah I'm good, you?" he asks, "oh you know, busy, busy" Elise answers. Zayn grins, "yeah, is Liam busy, or can you put me through to him?" Zayn asks getting to the point, because Elise can and will talk for ages, and as much as he likes the girl he needs to talk to Liam. There's a pause and Zayn hears shuffling papers, "yeah, I can put you through, just hang on a second" Elise says finally, "thanks" Zayn hums before he's put on hold. Zayn waits exactly three minutes before Liam picks up "hey Zee, I can't talk long" he says, and Zayn can hear how stressed he sounds, he knows Liam's in the middle of some important stuff at work, and add in the Sadie drama, a new baby, a quick wedding, and buying a house there's a lot going on. "I know, I just was wondering what time you're leaving this afternoon?" Zayn asks, turning towards the coffee shop. Liam hums "same as usual why?" he asks and Zayn can hear him shuffling things on his desk. "Could you maybe pick up Bella? Louis asked me to meet him for coffee and I'm headed there now, and was going to tell him about the baby and I don't know how long I'll be" Zayn asks, biting his lip. Liam chuckles lightly "yeah no problem. Tell Louis I say hi" he answers, Zayn sighs in relief, because now he knows he can take his time with Lou, "I will, thanks Li" he murmurs, "you don't have to thank me. But I do have to get back to work, I'll see you when you get home" Liam hums. Zayn grins, "yeah, I love you" he chirps, "I love you too" Liam answers before Zayn hangs up.

It takes Zayn another ten minutes to get to the coffee shop, which makes him five minutes early to meet Louis, he parks and heads inside, shoving his keys in his pocket as he goes. A quick scan of the room shows no sign of Louis, which isn't a surprise to Zayn, so he goes to the counter ordering for both of them. Zayn taps his hand against his thigh as he waits, smiling gratefully at the girl as she hands him both cups, before he rolls his eyes at the heart and phone number drawn on his, under his name. Zayn's just sitting down when Louis comes running into the building, "thank you" he grins as he slips into a seat and takes the cup Zayn offers him. Zayn watches as Louis takes a sip of his drink, he really has missed his best friend they haven't seen each other much in the past month, they've both been so busy. "So what's going on with you, how's Harry?" Zayn asks, sipping his own coffee. Louis lights up and launches into a story about Harry that Zayn can't quite follow, before he slows down, "what about you? How's everybody's favourite business man? And of course the best three year old I know?" Louis asks.

Zayn chews his lip, and takes another sip of his coffee before he answers, "I'm good, still not making friends at the school, but there's not long left until summer" Zayn starts, Louis nods, frowning and Zayn knows without asking what he's thinking. "Liam's great he's really busy right now, but he's making sure he's always got time for us. And Bella is Bella. She's happy and her regular silly self" Zayn continues. Louis grins nodding his head, "good, now what aren't you telling me?" he asks, arching an eyebrow at Zayn. "What makes you think I'm not telling you something?" Zayn asks. Louis snorts, "because I've known you forever and you're doing that hand tapping thing you do when you're hiding something, so spill it Malik" he insists. Zayn rolls his eyes because of course Louis would find him out, not that he wasn't going to tell Louis, he just forgets how well Louis knows him sometimes. "Well, you know how I've always wanted more kids?" Zayn asks slowly, watching as Louis nods, "well Doniya is helping us out and we found out a few weeks ago that it worked, Liam and I are having another baby" Zayn adds excitedly. Louis' eyes widen, before he dives out of his seat and throws himself at Zayn, "this is the best news I've ever heard! I'm so happy for you two" Louis exclaims and Zayn grins, "thanks Lou" Zayn mumbles as Louis smacks a wet kiss to his cheek. "Wait, why does it seem like there's more?" Louis asks suddenly, Zayn laughs, "probably because there is, Liam and I are buying a house, he's legally adopting Bella, and we're planning to get married before Baby arrives" he explains. Louis' mouth drops open comically before he shakes his head "I don't talk to you for two weeks and everything in your world changes" he hums, and for once Zayn can't read whether Louis is upset or not. "Zee this is huge and I'm happy for you, all these things are amazing" Louis murmurs, hugging Zayn tightly and honestly Zayn couldn't ask for a better best friend.