Chapter Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven – Zayn

Zayn groans as Talia directs his attention to yet another table he's supposed to serve, he would rather be anywhere else than here, but more specifically he'd rather be back at home with Liam and Bella. The pair had been in the midst of constructing a blanket fort when Zayn had left, and he really just wants to join them, not serve pizza to people who can't be bothered to remember his name, ten seconds after Talia tells it to them. "Relax Zee, a few more hours and you'll be home with your man, just go play nice and make some money" Talia teases. Zayn sticks his tongue out at her as he moves across the restaurant, stopping beside the table, "hello, my name is Zayn. Can I get you something to drink?" he asks. "Hey Zayn, where's your, or should I say our daughter today?" the woman sitting at the table asks. Zayn swallows thickly, before blinking slowly, because here sitting in front of him is Sadie, the mother of his child, the woman he hasn't seen since the night Bella was born. "What are you doing here?" Zayn hisses, eyeing the man Sadie's sitting with curiously, he doesn't look interested in the slightest so Zayn focuses his attention back on Sadie. She laughs, throwing her head back as she does, "why getting pizza of course, did your boyfriend give you my message?" Sadie asks. Zayn growls and it takes everything in him not to grab her by the hair and toss her out of the restaurant, "the one you gave him at the park? Yeah I got it, but need I remind you, you signed away all your rights to her that night, you can't touch us. And come near my daughter again, I will file for a restraining order" Zayn snaps.

Sadie looks at him for a minute before she laughs again, the man sitting across from her joining in this time, "cute, but no I don't want that thing. I meant what I said when she was born" she smirks. Zayn rolls his eyes, then what do you want, exactly?  Why are you harassing me and my fiancé?" he asks, ready to just walk away, "c'mon Zaynie, you're a smart man, I'm sure you can figure it out" Sadie coos. "And if I can't?" Zayn growls, and Sadie laughs, "money Zayn. I know you have it, even if you are still working here. You're dating Liam Payne, he's one of the richest men in the world. You share that wealth and I'll disappear, never to bother you guys again" Sadie giggles. Zayn leans down so he's looking directly into Sadie's eyes, "listen to me, you're not going to see a dime, you played me once to get money, but we're not going down that path again. So I suggest you and your little boyfriend disappear, before I call the cops, and file a restraining order against you" he hisses. Sadie looks taken aback, before she smirks, "I'll leave Zaynie, but this won't be the last time you see me" she grits out, before standing up and bouncing out of the restaurant.

Zayn makes it into the kitchen before he gets really frustrated, slamming his hand against the wall, "you okay?" Josh asks concerned and Zayn nods, "yeah, just a bitchy customer" he mumbles. Josh nods, before turning his attention back to the pizzas he's making, just as Harry comes into the kitchen, "hey Zayn did you see who just left?" he asks and Zayn nods, "yes I did, I was supposed to serve her" he answers. Harry frowns, "are you alright, what did she want?" he asks, and Zayn shrugs, "what she's always wanted money, and to be a pain in the ass" he mutters, which makes Harry laugh. "You're sure you're alright though?" Harry asks, one hand on Zayn's shoulder, Zayn rolls his eyes and nods, "yeah I'll be fine, just can't wait for this shift to be over, so I can go home. I really need to hug my girl" he mumbles. Harry laughs nodding his head, "I understand that, but you know where to find me if you need anything" he says before he disappears from the kitchen again. Zayn watches him go before he jumps when Josh pats him on the shoulder, "sorry, but your order for table seven is ready" he chuckles, Zayn nods his thanks before grabbing the pizza and heading out after Harry.

By the time Zayn makes it home after his shift, he's exhausted both mentally and physically, he's done little more than replay the conversation with Sadie over and over again in his head, since it happened. He walks into the apartment to the smell of fresh baked cookies and quiet giggling, kicking off his shoes Zayn follows the sound until he's standing outside of a large blanket fort in the middle of the living room. Liam and Bella have left no blanket, cushion, or chair out of their design, and Zayn smiles as he hears the pair whispering and Bella giggling inside their hideaway. "I think Baba's home" Liam says suddenly and Zayn bites back a laugh as his fiancé's head peeks out from under one of the blankets, "hey, how was work?" Liam asks, struggling to crawl out through the blankets. Zayn shrugs, reaching down to help pull Liam to his feet, "it was work, I need to talk to you later though. How was your day here?" he asks. Liam shrugs, "we built this and have been pretty much living inside of it ever since" he explains gesturing behind him to the fort. Zayn smiles nodding, "it's impressive" he murmurs and Liam grins, "Niall and I spent a large part of our lives building forts as kids" he says and Zayn nods, just as Bella peeks out of the blankets. "BABA!" she shouts, scrambling out and throwing herself at him, Zayn's glad for it and catches her in his arms snuggling her close to his body as he presses kisses to her head and breathes her in, allowing her to calm him down the way only she has ever been able to.

Zayn's still hugging Bella close, ignoring her squirming to be put down, "Daddy, help" Bella giggles reaching out for Liam who chuckles, "Zayn babe, Bells wants down" he mumbles resting a hand on Zayn's back, Zayn pouts, but relents and sets his girl back down on her feet. She grins, "thank you Daddy" she giggles, before kissing Zayn's knee "love Baba" she adds, before darting back into the fort. "You okay?" Liam asks concerned and Zayn just nods, rubbing a hand down his face, "yeah, I'll tell you later" he mumbles, Liam nods but Zayn can see the way his eyebrows furrow in concern and he knows Liam's worrying about him. "Baba, Daddy, come!" Bella yells making Zayn grin, as both men drop to the floor and crawl under the blankets into the fort, Zayn looks around there's lights strung up around the edges,and several pillows and blankets piled on the floor, Liam's also brought in his laptop so they could watch movies inside "impressive" he mumbles and Liam shrugs, "thanks" he murmurs before kissing Zayn gently. "Daddy, watch" Bella demands pointing at the laptop and Zayn looks to see that it's paused in the middle of The Little Mermaid, "don't be rude Bella" he murmurs and she pouts. "Sorry, Daddy. Please?" Bella asks pointing at the laptop again and Liam chuckles pressing play, and the three cuddle up to watch the rest of the movie.

It's several hours later after dinner, and a bath for Bella, followed by three bedtime stories, that Zayn and Liam are finally alone. Zayn's helping Liam take down the blanket fort, the pair working in relative silence as they fold blankets and return cushions to the couches and chairs to the kitchen table. Liam catches Zayn's wrist as he moves to go by him carrying a stack of blankets, "so are you going to tell me what happened at work today?" Liam asks, gently squeezing Zayn's wrist. Zayn sighs he knows there's no avoiding it, and he really doesn't want to keep it from Liam, he also doesn't want to think about it at all anymore. Sighing Zayn drops the blankets onto a nearby chair and slumps onto the couch, "I had a visitor at work today, an unwelcome visitor" Zayn sighs watching as Liam's eyes narrow and he moves so he's sitting beside Zayn, their bodies touching, "who was it Zayn?" Liam asks, although the tone of his voice let's Zayn know he already has some idea. Zayn frowns grabbing Liam's hand in his own "it was Sadie, and she confirmed what we already thought" Zayn mumbles. "What that she's a conniving bitch?" Liam hisses, and Zayn bites his lip, "well that, and that she only wants money, she told me if I got her some she'd disappear" he explains. Liam nods, standing up and pacing in front of the couches, Zayn can see how agitated he is, and he feels bad, especially because of Liam's recent fears about not being enough, not being able to protect them.

"Li, it's okay" Zayn murmurs, standing up to block his fiancé's path, "I suggested she go away before we called the cops on her, and she left. But I don't think it's going to be the last time we see her" he adds. Liam reaches out, pulling Zayn towards him, and Zayn just goes willingly, knowing Liam needs this, needs him, but more so he needs Liam, "so that's it?" Liam mumbles and Zayn nods, because even though it annoyed him that Sadie still refers to Bella as a thing, he's not going to mention it to Liam, he's upset enough as it is. "She didn't hurt you, threaten Bella, anything like that?" Liam presses and Zayn sighs, shaking his head, "no, Li, she was just obnoxious" he sighs and Liam nods, "alright, if she comes again, call me okay? I don't care what time it is, or what I'm doing. I'll call my lawyers and we'll get a restraining order" he says fiercely, Zayn just nods, loving how protective Liam can become, "sure thing Li" he mumbles, snuggling into his broad chest a little more.

Zayn pulls Liam to the couch again after that, snuggling into his chest as he reaches for the remotes, "what are we watching Zayn?" Liam hums, tracing patterns into Zayn's wrist. Zayn just shrugs, "no idea, I just want to spend some time with you, watching whatever" he mumbles, Liam chuckles but nods his head as Zayn settles on some random TV movie. They sit in silence for a few minutes, before Liam taps at Zayn's arm, "so you only have a few months left of school, then you're a teacher, are you excited?" he murmurs. Zayn bites his lip, squeezing Liam's hand in his own, "yeah, then I just need to find a job" he mutters, Liam laughs, pressing a kiss to Zayn's jaw, "you will, love" he mumbles, before they fall quiet again both just watching the TV enjoying each other's company, and if Zayn falls asleep wrapped in Liam's arms, no one needs to know.

Zayn wakes with a start when he feels himself being lifted off the couch, "shh, Zee, go back to sleep, I'm just moving you to our bed" Liam hums, Zayn nods sleepily before snuggling in against Liam's chest again. He feels the softness of the mattress underneath him before the bed dips as Liam climbs into bed beside him, "I love you Liam" he mumbles. Liam leans over, pressing a kiss to Zayn's lips, "I love you too Zayn" he murmurs, "goodnight" Zayn yawns, before his eyes flutter shut again and he slips back into sleep, more content than he's felt all day, all worries about Sadie and her sudden reappearance forgotten for now, replaced by thoughts of his family, and how happy he is with Liam.