Chapter Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five – Zayn

Zayn's pacing the living room as he waits for Liam to get home, the phone call from Louis a few minutes ago still running through his mind. He needs to go see Louis, make sure everything is okay, but he also needs Liam to get home to stay with Bella while he does. "Baba, play?" Bella asks, pulling Zayn from his thoughts, to look down to see the two and a half year old standing at his feet holding out a Barbie to him. Zayn smiles lightly reaching down to pull the doll from her fingers, "of course Bella" he murmurs, sinking down to the floor. It's only a few minutes later that Zayn hears footsteps in the hallway and keys jingling in the lock, Zayn laughs as Bella's head whips up, "Daddy?" she asks pointing towards the entranceway. Zayn laughs nodding his head, "yeah that should be Daddy" he answers, Arabella grins and shoots up to go meet Liam at the door, Zayn following her more slowly. He arrives just in time to hear the surprised sound Liam makes as Bella crashes into him full force. "I think someone missed you today" Zayn teases, gesturing to the toddler wrapped around Liam's knees, "that is what you get for leaving before she was awake though" he adds on. Liam smiles, reaching down to untangle her arms and lift her up, "I missed you too, Princess" he murmurs, pressing a kiss to her head, as she snuggles into his chest. "And I missed you" Liam mumbles stepping closer to Zayn, who smiles and leans over Bella to plant a kiss to his fiancé's cheek.

Bella's squirming to get down and Zayn bites back a laugh, as she narrowly misses hitting Liam in the face with her cast as she does so. "Okay, okay, relax" Liam soothes before setting her on her feet watching her run away again, "where's she going?" he asks and Zayn shrugs, "no idea, but I need to ask you a favour" he answers biting his lip. "What is it?" Liam asks, his eyebrows pulling together in confusion, and Zayn steps closer to him allowing the older man to wrap his arms around him. "Louis, called me. I guess he got into a fight with his mum, which never happens. I need to go over and see him" Zayn mumbles, Liam chuckles kissing his head, "then go. I'll stay here with miss Bella, you go make sure Louis is okay" he says. Zayn steps away to blink at Liam, "you're sure?" he asks narrowing his eyes, Liam laughs, pressing a kiss to Zayn's lips quickly. "Yes I'm sure, just let me get changed before you leave, and then I'll have a night in with the Princess" Liam murmurs, pulling away slightly, Zayn just nods, watching Liam head towards the bedroom, thinking about just how lucky he's gotten.

Zayn pulls up to his old apartment forty minutes later, parking his car and looking up at the building, it's hard to believe he doesn't live here anymore, that he's moved on to a different chapter in his life. Shaking his head to clear it, Zayn climbs out of the car, heading inside. Zayn arrives at the door a minute later, knocking quickly on the door, and waiting, as he hears footsteps getting closer, before the door swings open and Louis is standing in front of him, "Zaynie!" he exclaims, as Zayn rolls his eyes and steps inside the familiar apartment. "You alright Lou?" he asks carefully, eyeing his best friend for any signs of distress, "yeah, I'm fine" Louis answers, waving him off, making Zayn narrow his eyes, but he doesn't push it, not for now at least. Louis' leading the way towards the living room, and the couches that Zayn hates to admit he's missed since he moved in with Liam, and offering Zayn a beer, which he accepts gratefully.

"So what happened with your mum?" Zayn asks, after taking a few slow sips of his beer, Louis chuckles, shaking his head, before setting his own drink down on the table in front of them. "Funny story that" Louis hums and Zayn narrows his eyes, "I didn't actually fight with my mum, I just made that up because I wanted to spend some time with you. Just you" Louis continues, grinning at Zayn as he does. Zayn groans, rolling his eyes, "Louis, you honestly could have just said that, I still would have come over" he groans. Louis shrugs, taking another sip from his drink, "couldn't take the chance" he mumbles, and Zayn rolls his eyes again. As annoyed as he's pretending to be, it's just that, pretend, Zayn could never be upset with Louis, he can't remember a time when they actually fought with one another, and he has missed his best friend. Sure he's seen him at school nearly everyday, but it's not the same as when they would come home to each other, and just vent about their days, and their boyfriends (that was usually Louis) all while navigating raising a tiny helpless girl. "So what's up Louis?" Zayn asks, sipping his beer again, Louis shrugs, "just miss you, that's all" he murmurs, and Zayn nods, "I miss you too" he answers quietly.