Chapter Eighty Three

Chapter Eighty Three – Zayn

Zayn frowns as he watches Arabella dodge Karen with a whimper as she goes to pull the three year old into a hug, "no hug Grandma" she mumbles before diving behind Liam. "Sorry Mum, she's had a rough night" Liam apologizes, Karen just waves him away "I understand Liam, it's alright" she insists, but even Zayn who hasn't known her his whole life can tell it's upsetting the woman. It gets worse again when Bella goes barrelling into the house and climbs right up beside Geoff, snuggling into his side as soon as she can "hi Grandpa" she murmurs, "hey Squirt" Geoff answers wrapping one arm around her shoulders in a side hug. Zayn just watches the scene unfold, before his eyes flit to Karen to see her wipe at her eyes and disappear towards the kitchen, resting a hand on Liam's hip, Zayn stands on his toes pressing a kiss to Liam's jaw, "I'll be right back, stay with your dad" he mumbles before following after his soon to be mother in law. Zayn smiles sadly as he steps into the kitchen to see Karen distractedly getting out cups and filling the kettle, he can see her struggling to not cry, knows the woman is trying to be understanding, but Zayn also knows just how hard it can be.

"Hey" Zayn says, making his presence known which makes Karen spin to face him, her hand coming up to rest over her heart like he startled her. "Zayn, what are you doing in here?" she asks and Zayn smiles moving further into the room, "came to see you" he answers, grinning. "Oh I'm alright Dear, go I'll be out in a moment" Karen insists, but Zayn shakes his head, "let me help you, I kind of wanted to talk to you anyways" he mumbles. Karen arches an eyebrow at him, but nods her head, "what about?" she asks. Zayn smiles "about what just happened" he murmurs, "oh don't worry about that Zayn, I don't hold it against any of you" Karen insists. Zayn grins, "I know, but I wanted to make sure you were okay. We noticed when we were at the police station women seem to be making her nervous, but it won't last" he explains. "Bella's just gotta work out that not all women are bad, and going to hurt her, that it was just Sadie. But she was terrified Karen you should have seen her face" Zayn adds, his own face twisting into a sad expression as he does. Karen frowns, before moving across and pulling Zayn into a hug, it's the perfect amount loving, and comforting and just what Zayn needs right this minute "I know Zayn, thank you Dear. It's just hard because I know you two have already been through so much I hate to see either one of you get hurt" Karen murmurs. Zayn returns the embrace "thank you, we'll be alright though. And before you know it Bella will be climbing all over you again, I promise" Zayn murmurs. Karen pulls back and presses a kiss to Zayn's cheek, just as the kettle boils, "you go sit down and visit, I'll be out in a moment" she grins and Zayn nods, backing slowly out of the room.

"Baba!" Bella calls out as soon as Zayn enters the living room, "come sit" she urges bouncing slightly on the couch, Zayn smiles and moves towards the couch dropping to sit beside Liam, where he's sitting beside Bella. "Everything okay?" Liam asks lowly as soon as Zayn's close enough, Zayn just nods, "yeah your mum's making tea" he murmurs and Liam smiles lightly, pressing a kiss to Zayn's cheek. Karen comes into the room a moment later, carrying a tray with mugs of tea and sugar and milk, Bella visibly tenses beside Liam and Zayn watches as his fiancé leans down to whisper something to her, Bella bites her lip nodding her head slightly, before she relaxes into Liam's side. Karen sets the tray down and moves so she's sitting on the couch across the room from them, and Zayn smiles at the gesture. They sit in a comfortable silence for a minute before Geoff leans down and mumbles something to Bella, that Zayn at least can't hear, before Bella nods her head and gets up from beside him and slowly makes her way across to the other couch, "Grandma I sit?" Bella asks, her head tilting to the side, Karen smiles and nods her head "of course Love" she answers quietly, and Zayn smiles fondly as he watches Bella climb up beside the woman and cuddle into her side, seemingly having forgotten her earlier hesitation.

Zayn carefully maneuvers Bella's shoes off her feet when they arrive back at the apartment a few hours later, before setting the sleeping girl carefully down on the couch, deciding she can just nap there, in case she wakes up. Liam's arms wrap around Zayn's waist as soon as he straightens up again "hey you" he mumbles and Zayn shivers "hey" he answers leaning in to Liam's touch. "So I spoke to Cedric, about getting that house sooner, and he says we can have it in a month if we want, for an extra cost" Liam murmurs. Zayn furrows his eyebrows and turns in Liam's arms, "really?" he asks, Liam just nods "really. I told him to go ahead with it, we'll pay whatever it takes, I want you and Bella to feel safe and I think getting out of this neighbourhood will help with that" he explains. Zayn grins and leans into Liam's chest, "thank you" he mumbles Liam just chuckles and pulls him out to look into his eyes "hey, no need to thank me, we need this" he insists, before he gently pulls Zayn's lips up to meet his own. "Baba!" Bella shrieks, effectively ruining the moment for both men, Zayn chuckles as he pulls away and turns around again to face the three year old, "yes, Love?" he asks arching an eyebrow. Bella grins "want juice, please" she mumbles and Zayn shakes his head "okay, I'll be right back" he chuckles making his way to the kitchen.