Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four – Liam

Liam just doesn't want to, he doesn't want to adult today, wants to go back to his apartment and hide inside a blanket fort, while watching Disney movies and colouring. He knows he can't, knows that after three weeks out of the office he has a lot of work to catch up on, he's just grateful for Niall, because he'd gotten a lot done in the week Liam spent in Paris with Zayn and Arabella. It's the Monday after their trip, and Liam's tired because they didn't get back into London until late last night and then Bella had woken up, while Zayn tried to get the sleeping toddler out of her car seat, and she had thrown a fit when Liam tried to say goodbye. So he'd ended up staying later at Zayn's then he intended, not that he minds, but now he's sitting at his desk surrounded by a huge pile of paperwork, and he just doesn't want to. There's a tapping on his door, before it opens and Elise walks in, a steaming mug in her hands, she offers it to Liam, who takes it, smiling gratefully as he does, "thank you" he murmurs, as he takes a sip of the coffee, that is just the way he likes it. "Anything I can do to help?" Elise asks, gesturing around the office, Liam sighs shaking his head,"no, not really. I just have to play catch up" he groans, "thank you though" he adds. Elise just smiles at him, moving back towards the door, "Zayn called" she says and Liam furrows his eyebrows, "he said it's not important, but would like you to call him back when you get a minute" she explains. "Thanks" Liam murmurs, before Elise disappears back out to her desk and he's alone with his paperwork once again.

It's two hours later before Liam has a chance to call Zayn back, he knows the younger has to work today, so he's just hoping he'll answer, because he's sure to miss the call again if Zayn tries to phone him. It rings four times, and Liam sighs, because he knows it goes to voicemail after the fifth ring, "...hello?" Zayn says suddenly, and Liam grins. "Hey, Elise told me you called, what's up? Is everything okay?" Liam asks, Zayn chuckles and Liam can hear the banging of dishes in the background. "Everything is fine" Zayn starts, Liam doesn't say anything, he knows there's something else Zayn wants to add. "What time can you leave the office today?" Zayn asks, Liam furrows his eyebrows "um, probably around five, why?" Liam asks, glancing at the clock on his computer screen. Zayn sighs, "um I have to work a double shift, apparently, and Louis can't go pick Bella up, and my mum has some dinner for my dad's work tonight. Could you maybe pick Bella up and take her to yours? Please?" Zayn asks quickly. Liam frowns, as he attempts to keep up with Zayn's rapid speech, "sure Zee, but what time do you have to work 'til?" he asks slowly. He hears Zayn moving around before he can hear him sigh "it will probably be around midnight, I'm sorry Li" he mumbles. Liam frowns "don't be sorry, I'll just put her down in the guest room, you can both stay the night" he murmurs. Zayn sighs again, and Liam frowns he sounds stressed out, and tired "thanks Li, I'll be there as soon as I can, Talia's trying her best to find a way to sneak me out of here early" Zayn mumbles. Liam chuckles, shaking his head, "it's not a problem Zee, really. Don't worry about us, I'll take care of Bella and I'll see you when you get to mine, yeah?" he explains. "I gotta run, Li, but thank you so much. I love you" Zayn says quietly, "I love you too" Liam answers before he's met with a dial tone, shaking his head, Liam sets down his phone and gets back to work.

Liam's packing up his stuff to leave the office, it's just before five, when Niall pokes his head in, "hey what are you up to tonight?" Niall asks, Liam smiles, and looks across to his best friend. "I've gotta pick Bella up for Zayn, then her and I are just going to hang out at mine, why?" Liam asks. Niall shrugs, "never mind then, Li. I'll see you tomorrow" he mumbles, "Ni, c'mon, what is it?" Liam asks gently. "I dunno, I just miss you, thought maybe we could hang out" Niall mumbles. Liam frowns, he does miss his best friend, "if you don't mind hanging out with Bella too, you're welcome to come over tonight" he says, slinging the strap for his briefcase over his shoulder. Niall grins, "sure Li, you know I love that little girl. I'll pick up some dinner and meet you at yours in about an hour?" he asks. Liam smiles nodding, "sounds good Ni, just don't get stuff with a lot of sugar, Zayn may kill me if I hype his daughter up on sugar again" he warns. Niall laughs, nodding as the two leave Liam's office together, "only you would think ice cream before dinner is a good idea" he teases. Liam shakes his head, "nope Louis thinks so too" he pouts. Niall laughs loudly at that, "of course he does. I'll see you soon" he says before disappearing into his own office as Liam gets onto the elevator.