Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven – Zayn

Zayn manages to avoid any and all questions about his lunch date by having Louis pick up Arabella and pretending he has a ton of homework. The homework part isn't entirely untrue, but he doesn't have enough that he needs to hide in his room, all night after Bella is in bed, it's not that he doesn't want to tell Louis about his lunch with Liam. It's more that he wants to keep Liam to himself, just a little longer, doesn't want to share, not just yet. Everything went so well Zayn's worried that if he lets himself tell Louis about it, then something will happen and Liam will disappear.

So he's locked in his room, has been since he got home really, he spent a couple hours, pretending to do homework while Bella watched the newest Tinkerbell movie. He avoided Louis' barrage of questions over dinner, by asking his daughter about her day, which launched the two year old into a long, rambling story about his mum's dog. Louis had glared at him over his dinner, but he would do anything for Arabella, and Zayn knows that, so he didn't interrupt the toddler. After dinner Zayn was able to stay busy by giving Bella a bath and getting her ready for bed, which lead him to now, sprawled across his bed working on his latest English assignment. Someone clearing their throat makes Zayn look up to see Louis standing at the end of his bed, "can't hide behind Bella now" Louis says, and Zayn bites his lip, avoiding Louis' gaze, "don't know what you're talking about" he mumbles. Louis shakes his head, "using your own child to distract me" he scolds, Zayn sighs, "I'm sorry, Lou. I'm just not ready to talk about it" he mumbles. Louis' face softens "aww Zaynie, was it that bad?" he asks, assuming the worst. Zayn shakes his head "no, the opposite actually" he murmurs quietly, watching Louis carefully.

Zayn knows Louis wants to be louder, but won't because Bella's asleep, and Zayn knows Louis would never do anything to purposely wake her up "if it was good, why don't you want to talk about it?" Louis asks confused. Zayn shrugs and plays with the pencil in his hand, "I don't know" he mutters, because he doesn't know why, not really. Louis nods "are you going to see him again?" he asks, and Zayn bites his lip, before he nods, slowly, "yeah, we have a dinner date tomorrow night. He's picking me up here. Can you watch Bella?" he asks quickly. Louis grins and nods his head, "of course I can" he crows, "do I get to meet him? Are you gonna introduce him to Bella?" Louis adds. Zayn bites his lip again and shrugs, because he really doesn't know, he knows Liam will eventually have to meet his daughter, but he's worried the second date might be too soon. "I don't know Lou, do you think it's too soon?" he asks. Louis cocks his head as he thinks, and Zayn just waits, "you told him about her?" he asks and Zayn nods "what did he say?" Louis asks again. Zayn thinks for a second, "that he'd love to meet her, when I think it's okay" he says slowly, and Louis nods, before shrugging. "I say let him meet her, if things get serious, which it seems like they might, he'll need to. And we all know she can be shy at first" he says seriously. Zayn nods, "yeah, you're right Lou" he mumbles and Louis grins, "always am" he crows before he tackles Zayn in a hug, "now tell me about the date...now" he demands. Zayn rolls his eyes fondly at his best friend before telling him every moment of his lunch date with Liam.

*

Zayn's panicking, he has thirty minutes until Liam is going to come to pick him up for dinner and he's panicking. Zayn's wearing his favourite pair of black skinny jeans, but is currently shirtless as he looks through his closet for something to wear, he's seriously considering calling Liam and telling him something came up, and cancelling the whole thing. "Baba?" a small voice asks, making Zayn spin around to face Bella and Louis as he's holding the toddler in his arms, "yea, Boo?" Zayn hums, holding two button up shirts in his hands. "Where going?" Bella asks, her bottom lip pouting out, Zayn groans at the face he knows gets the girl everything she usually wants, "Baba's going out for dinner, with a friend" he says slowly, holding the two shirts up for Louis to inspect. Louis eyes the shirts before gesturing to a plain, white, shirt, Zayn nods, and Bella pouts a little more, "Bella comin'?" she asks. Zayn sighs and pulls the shirt on, before moving away from the closet, Louis following with Bella, "not this time. You're going to stay here with Uncle Louis" he explains. Bella cocks her head to the side as she appears to be thinking about what Zayn's telling her, she narrows her eyes at him before turning to Louis, squishing his face in her tiny hands, "Uncle Harry comin' too?" she asks, Louis grins at her "yeah, should be here soon, actually" he answers, Bella nods slowly, turning back to Zayn. "You can go Baba. I stay Uncle Lou" Bella tells him nodding and Zayn laughs lightly, leaning over to kiss his daughter's cheek, "thanks, Boo" he breathes, and she giggles, pushing him away, slightly. "We'll leave you to finish getting ready" Louis says, before he turns, leaving the room, Bella blowing kisses to Zayn over Louis' shoulder as they go.