Chapter One HUndred Thirty Eight

Chapter One Hundred Thirty Eight – Liam

Liam's busy going over some papers in his office when the intercom buzzes to life "uhm Liam, there's a teenager here to see you" Elise says, sounding confused. Liam furrows his eyebrows "who?" he asks wondering how, whoever it is got all the way up to his office in the first place. "He says his name's Ethan, that he's your nephew?" Elise says it coming out more like a question, his assistant obviously confused by the situation. "Yeah, send him in" Liam answers, shoving some of his papers away, confused about why Ethan's here and how he managed to get there in the first place. The door opening and Ethan popping his head in snaps Liam out of his confused thoughts, "hey Buddy what's going on?" Liam asks gently, gesturing for him to come all the way into the room.

Ethan's just sat across from Liam, chewing on his bottom lip, not saying anything, hasn't made a sound since he arrived. Liam can see a shadow of a bruise forming on his jaw and is concerned but it's obvious Ethan doesn't want to talk yet, so Liam's not going to push him. He assumes the thirteen year old came here to talk to him, but he's just not sure about what. "Ethan, are you okay?" Liam asks gently, not wanting to upset his nephew but wanting to know what's going on, he's almost positive this is connected to what Ethan and Zayn were talking about two weeks ago at their house, but he's still unsure of what that is. "I-I'm fine Uncle Liam" Ethan mumbles, looking away from him.

Liam furrows his eyebrows because Ethan should still be at school for another couple hours, and he thinks he should let his sister know her son is with him, so she's not in a panic when the school calls. But he needs to make sure the boy in front of him is okay before he does anything else. "How did you get here Ethan?" Liam asks, deciding that's a pretty safe place to start getting him to talk. "I took a cab" Ethan shrugs, still not looking at Liam. Liam nods, he's still confused, but at least that answers the how. "Okay, would you like to tell me why you came here?" Liam asks slowly. Ethan bites his lip shaking his head, Liam nods, "okay, I can't help you if you don't tell me what's happening" he murmurs. Ethan nods, "I-I'm s-sorry" he stutters, tears pooling in his eyes and Liam furrows his eyebrows confused. "Does whatever happened, have something to do with what you and Uncle Zayn were talking about a couple weeks ago?" Liam asks carefully, standing up to come sit beside Ethan rather than across from him.

Ethan's quiet, just furiously wiping at his cheeks when the tears start to fall, before he barely nods, "b-but I don't want you to h-hate me when you find out, why I've been confiding in Uncle Zayn and not you" Ethan stutters. Liam makes a face reaching out to rub Ethan's back "I could never hate you, no matter what you did" Liam assures rubbing the teenager's back gently.

"Deep breaths big guy, let's start with that bruise, yeah? What happened there?" Liam asks, still rubbing at Ethan's back. "Um it was Elliot, we've kinda been fighting these past couple weeks and today he just, he told me he didn't want to be friends anymore and took a swing" Ethan mumbles, looking everywhere but at Liam. Liam furrows his eyebrows because he knows Elliot and Ethan have been friends for a long time, but decides not to question it, "okay, I'm gonna get Elise to get you some ice okay? I'll be right back" Liam settles on, Ethan barely nodding before Liam gets up and moves quickly out of his office, needing to talk to his assistant where his nephew can't hear him for a minute.

"Everything okay in there?" Elise asks worriedly when she sees Liam approach her desk. Liam just nods slowly "yeah, he's uh, there's something bugging him and he needed to talk to someone" he answers. "But I need you to get me an ice pack please, and maybe a bottle of water or two?" Liam asks biting his lip. "Yeah sure, need anything else, I have my candy stash I share with Bella if he wants some" Elise asks. Liam chuckles "actually sure give me a few of those too, but that candy stash got me in trouble" he laughs. Elise just shakes her head "no you got you in trouble, Zayn didn't care about the candy" she corrects him. Liam shakes his head, "true" he laughs. "Could you also call my sister Ruth? Ethan's skipping school right now, and my sister is going to be a mess looking for him once they call. Just let her know he's here, and he's safe, and I'll drop him off on my way home" Liam asks. Elise makes a quick note before she nods passing Liam a bag that he knows is filled with the candy from her bottom drawer. "Sure, I'll just go get you that ice pack and water, then I'll call your sister" Elise grins standing up and heading towards the break room. Liam rubs a hand over his face before he turns on his heel and heads back into his office.