Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen – Zayn

Zayn chews on his pen as his professor drones on and on about whatever it is he's supposed to be learning about today, he can't focus and he knows exactly why. He's tired it was a long night, followed by an early morning, but he's dealt with enough of those over the past two years that he knows that's not the problem. His problem is the fact that his daughter has started calling his boyfriend of a few months Daddy, he's not upset by it, at least he doesn't think that he is, but he is jealous. As much as he knows he shouldn't be he really can't help it, for the past two years, he's been everything to Bella, and except for Louis, Harry and his mum, he's never had to share her, and they aren't parent figures so he's never had to share the role of parent before. Now though he's going to have to share everything with Liam and he honestly doesn't know how he feels about all that, and he's nervous that Liam will decide this isn't what he wants and disappear, because honestly why wouldn't he, and Zayn will be left with not only his own broken heart but Arabella's as well.

Zayn snaps out of his thoughts when the girl sitting beside him nudges him, to let him know that class is over. He sends her a grateful smile as he packs up his stuff and follows her out of the room. Zayn slumps against a wall for a minute, rubbing tiredly at his eyes when Louis and Harry appear in front of him, "how are you holding up Zayn? Louis told me about last night" Harry says sympathetically and Zayn groans, glaring at Louis who shrugs innocently. "I'm okay, still kind of processing everything, honestly" Zayn answers and Harry nods his head, before snuggling into Louis a little, it almost looks ridiculous, and it should given how much taller than Louis, Harry actually is, but it works for them, and Zayn's happy his best friends finally figured themselves out. Louis sends him a knowing look before digging his keys out of his pocket and tossing them to Zayn, who being both uncoordinated and unprepared lets them bounce off his chest and land at his feet. Zayn's bending down to pick up the keys, "why do I need your keys Lou?" he asks, while straightening out, and Louis rolls his eyes and directs his next statement at Harry, "is he really that dumb? I thought he was the smart one" he asks, shaking his head, Harry just shrugs and grins at Zayn. Louis chuckles and disentangles himself from Harry to wrap an arm around Zayn's shoulder, "I'll get a ride with Haz, you take my car and go see Liam, talk to him about last night and how you feel, honestly. Then take him to pick up Bella and meet your mum" he explains. Zayn bites his lip and nods, turning to hug Louis fully, because he always knows what Zayn needs even before Zayn does himself sometimes, has since they were kids really. "Thanks Lou" he mumbles before pulling away, "bye Harry, bye Lou" he calls as he runs down the hall towards the exit.

Zayn's sitting in Louis' car chewing on his lip as he debates if this is actually a good idea, he knows Louis' right and he needs to talk to Liam, but what he doesn't know is if surprising him at work is the right thing to do. Sighing he climbs out of the car and makes his way into the impressively large building. The girl behind the desk in the lobby arches a confused eyebrow at him, "welcome to Payne Industries, can I help you?" she asks quietly, and Zayn shrugs. Taking a deep breath he steps closer to her desk, "um, yeah, I need to see Liam Payne?" he asks and she rolls her eyes "do you have an appointment?" she asks not looking at Zayn. Zayn shakes his head, "not really, but he'll want to see me" he tries, the receptionist rolls her eyes again, "and who are you?" she asks. Zayn sighs, biting his lip "Zayn Malik, I'm his, um I'm his boyfriend" he explains. Zayn tries not to laugh when the girl's eyes widen comically and she glances to something on her desk that he can't see before turning back to Zayn, "of course, I'm so sorry Mr. Malik, just go on up to the top floor. I'll buzz upto Elise and she'll lead you from there" she stumbles, picking up her phone quickly. Zayn wants to laugh but holds it in as he makes his way to the elevator, making a mental note to ask Liam why his name terrifies assistants.

Zayn steps off the elevator and is immediately met by a stunning blonde, she smiles at him, "I'm Elise, Liam's assistant, if you'll follow me?" she asks, gesturing for Zayn to fall in step behind her. Zayn does, he follows after the pretty, petite, blonde until she comes to a stop in front of a closed office door. "Liam's just in there, he's going over some paperwork, but he should be available to see you" Elise explains, gesturing to the door, and Zayn bites his lip, "if he's busy, I can always come back later, or call him" he manages. Elise shakes her head, "oh he's always busy, but never too busy, just knock and head on in" she tells him, and Zayn sighs nodding, because he's already here.Taking a deep breath Zayn knocks on the door as Elise returns to her desk, and he can hear her keyboard keys clicking as she starts to type. "Come in" a muffled voice calls out and Zayn bites his lip as he pushes open the door and steps inside of Liam's office. He scans the room quickly taking in all the framed photographs littering the walls, and most available surfaces, before his eyes land on Liam, he's bent over his desk writing something quickly, but the older man looks up when he hears someone in the room. Zayn watches as Liam's face lights up, before his expression changes to something Zayn can't quite place, but he's not sure he likes. Liam sets his pen down and gestures for Zayn to come closer, so he does standing on the opposite side of the large, cluttered desk, from Liam.