Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Eight – Liam

Liam hasn't seen Zayn and Bella in a week, sure he's spoken to the younger man and the toddler on the phone, but since Zayn's started school again, he hasn't actually seen them. Today being Sunday means Liam doesn't have anything to do and he knows Zayn doesn't have any classes. Liam found out from Louis that Zayn's working the lunch shift and then coming home around three, while Bella stayed at the apartment with Louis for the day. Liam plans to surprise them, Zayn's been distracted for lack of a better word the last few days on the phone and Liam wants to get to the bottom of it, and he also just really misses his boyfriend and his energetic daughter and wants to see them. So he's gathering up a few things and heading over to Zayn's to spend the afternoon at least with two of his favourite people.

Liam knocks on the door and waits, surprised he can't hear Bella yelling commands at her Uncle, and Louis firing back with something equally ridiculous. It's two o'clock so Zayn won't be home for another hour, so Liam has some time still but he couldn't wait any longer. The door pulls open to reveal Louis, "hey Liam, come on in" he says, stepping aside to allow Liam to walk past him, "thanks Lou" Liam murmurs, but Louis waves him away, "neither one of them has any idea you're coming today, well played" he smirks. Liam grins "I miss them, wanted to surprise them" he answers, Louis shrugs, "good, Zayn's missed you too" he answers, gesturing for Liam to come further into the apartment. It's as they enter the living room and sit down that Liam really notices the distinct lack of Bella, "where's Bella?" he asks, confused, and Louis laughs, "she's still napping, she had a bit of a rough night last night. Her and Zayn are both exhausted today" he explains. Liam frowns as he nods, feeling bad for his boyfriend, and wondering slightly why Zayn never called him last night.

It's forty five minutes later that Liam hears the scraping of keys in the lock and knows Zayn's come home, "Louis? I'm back, how was she today?" Zayn calls out and Louis smirks at Liam from where he's sitting, as Zayn walks into the room. "She was fine, tired and a little cuddly, but I love cuddles so we had a good day" Louis answers, smirking because Zayn still hasn't noticed Liam sitting on the other couch. Liam laughs as Zayn notices him, his eyes widening, before narrowing and something Liam can't read crosses his features, "what are you doing here Li?" Zayn asks closing the space between them to drop himself into Liam's lap. Liam smiles and wraps his arms around his boyfriend holding him close, "I wanted to surprise you. I missed you" Liam explains, pushing up to kiss Zayn's jaw. Liam can see what Louis meant, Zayn looks tired, looks as if he could use a nap himself, "I missed you too" Zayn murmurs, snuggling into Liam's chest, Liam lets him, loving having him so close. "On that note, I think I'm going to see Harry. See you guys later" Louis says, and Liam's grateful for Zayn's best friend, because he really does want to be alone with Zayn and Bella, when she wakes up. Which turns out to be only ten minutes later, there's quiet padding feet, "Uncle Louis, Baba home?" Bella asks, stumbling into the room. Liam grins as she notices both men sitting on the couch, eyes widening, "Baba, Daddy" she exclaims, running across the room to jump on them. "Hey, did you have fun with Uncle Louis?" Zayn asks and Liam watches as he smooths back Bella's hair to press a kiss to her forehead.

Liam wraps his arms around both Bella and Zayn, the three of them just sitting together on the couch, Bella's still busy telling Zayn and himself all about her day with Uncle Louis, and it sounds interesting to say the least. When she finally finishes with a dramatic sigh, that even Liam knows she learned from Louis she flops against Zayn, "Baba, watch movie?"she asks hopefully, bottom lip poking out, and Zayn laughs, "sure thing Boo. What movie?" he answers, and Bella pretends to think before she answers, "'Punzel!" she exclaims, and even Liam isn't surprised, because he knows it's her current favourite as well. Zayn laughs, nodding his head, and climbing off Liam's lap to get the movie on for Bella. As soon as the movie starts Bella is off in her own little world, focusing solely on the cartoon playing on the screen, "everything okay? Louis told me it was a rough night last night" Liam murmurs. Zayn sighs nodding his head and turning a little to face Liam, "yeah, things are alright, Bella was just having nightmares last night. Plus she's been asking me really...hard to answer questions all week" he mumbles, eyes looking everywhere but at Liam. Liam frowns "why didn't you call me? And what has she been asking?" he asks confused, Zayn shakes his head, before getting up and gesturing for Liam to follow him to the kitchen.