Chapter Eighty Seven

Chapter Eighty Seven – Zayn

Zayn groans as he eats his lunch alone again a week later, before there's a knock on his classroom door "come in" he calls as the door pushes open. "Mr. Malik, can you help me for a second?" Trina, one of his seventh grade students asks, "absolutely, what do you need?" Zayn asks, motioning for her to sit in the seat in front of his desk. Trina pulls some papers out of her bag and sets them on his desk "it's this assignment you gave us, I'm completely stuck" she sighs. Zayn chuckles and reaches for the papers, smiling as he takes them from her reading over the start of her essay quickly. "Alright, Trina you're off to a good start, but I'm not seeing any of you in this paper, and I think that's why you're getting stuck" Zayn starts, chuckling when the thirteen year old furrows her eyebrows at him. "Have you ever done anything that you feel guilty about?" Zayn asks and Trina bites her lip, before nodding, "alright well you need to draw from that, good writers, write what they know" Zayn explains passing the papers back to her, Trina nods, "alright I'll try that. Thanks Mr. Malik. I'll um, let you get back to your lunch now" she mumbles "no problem Trina. I'll see you in class tomorrow" Zayn answers before she skips out of the room again. Trina's just out of sight when Jessie catches the still open door and walks through it, "you need to just come eat in the staff room already" she groans, but Zayn shakes his head. "So I can hear about how terrible I am for loving Liam, and having children? No thanks I'm fine here" Zayn spits. Jessie sighs "that's exactly what Jason wants you know? And he's the only one with a problem" she mumbles. Zayn shakes his head "I know and thank you Jess, but honestly I'm fine in here" he murmurs. Jessie sighs again "alright, I have some marking to do. Come find me if you want company?" she asks, Zayn grins nodding "of course" he answers before Jessie leaves the room.

Zayn sighs as he makes his way up to the apartment, they had a staff meeting so he got home late, he opens the door pushing a couple boxes out of the way with his foot. "Liam?" he calls, "kitchen" Liam calls back and Zayn drops his keys onto the table and heads towards the kitchen. "BABA!" Bella yells jumping off her chair to throw herself at Zayn, "inside voice Baby Girl" Zayn murmurs, pressing a kiss to her hair, "how was your meeting?" Liam asks as Zayn leans over to press a kiss to his lips. "It was boring as usual but it's the last one for awhile, so there's that" Zayn shrugs. Liam hands him a plate, "sorry we already ate" he murmurs and Zayn smiles "it's fine" he murmurs as Bella squirms to be set down, once she's on her feet she takes off towards the living room. Zayn watches her go before sitting down and starting to eat his dinner, "how was your day?" Zayn asks as Liam sits across from him "same as usual" Liam shrugs and Zayn nods taking another bite. He can hear Bella playing in the other room and smiles at the sound, "we really need to get packing we get the house next week right?" Zayn asks and Liam chuckles. "Yeah we do, and I was going to stay home tomorrow, maybe hire a company to help us pack" Liam suggests. Zayn nods "I would normally say no, but I don't think we'll get packed any other way" he mumbles, going back to his dinner.

Zayn's cleaning up after dinner when Liam approaches him, he looks almost nervous and Zayn arches an eyebrow at him "what is it?" Zayn asks and Liam sighs. "I was just thinking that maybe we should be looking into preschools for Bella" Liam says and Zayn turns away from the sink to arch an eyebrow at him. "Just hear me out Zayn" Liam starts and Zayn bites his lip and nods for Liam to continue, "I just think that Bella needs to make some friends, her own age, and she doesn't have to go everyday, she could still stay with your mum most days, just preschool maybe twice a week" Liam explains. Zayn takes a deep breath, shaking his head "I don't think so Liam" he murmurs, Liam furrows his eyebrows, "why not Zayn? She doesn't really know how to play with other kids, or get to see any for that matter" Liam pushes. Zayn groans and runs a hand through his hair "Liam, please she's fine with Mum and she sees your sisters' kids all the time and they all get along just fine" he says. "Zayn just think about it, I think our daughter needs to make friends. She's going to start school next year and I just don't want her to feel like she's behind" Liam pleads. Zayn narrows his eyes at that, he doesn't know why he's feeling so defensive about this, he just is, he knows he stressed from work and he doesn't want to take it out on Liam, but he's pretty sure he's about to. "I said no Liam. Drop it" he spits, and Liam looks taken aback before he shakes his head, "Zayn, please just think about what's best for Bella here" Liam asks and Zayn shakes his head, "I am thinking about what's best for Bella. She is my daughter after all, and I said she's fine. Drop it Liam" Zayn spits. He regrets it as soon as he says it, really he does, especially when he sees the look of betrayal in Liam's eyes, but he can't bring himself to apologize, Liam nods "I see. Alright then I think I'll sleep in the guest room tonight" he mumbles before turning to leave the kitchen, Zayn just stands frozen watching him leave and he knows he should go after him but he just can't, not right now anyways.