Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Twenty Eight – Liam

Liam watches as Zayn shakes his head when he finishes retelling all the events that lead to him being a single father, as if he's trying to bring himself back to the present. He knows he should say something, but the thing is Liam has no real clue what to say, he doesn't understand how anyone could use Zayn, hurt him in that way. And he really doesn't understand how anyone could deny their own child, ever. Zayn's chewing on his bottom lip, in the way he does when he's nervous and fiddling with his fingers, Liam reaches out to tangle their hands together in an effort to stop Zayn's fidgeting. "I um, wow Zayn, that's a lot" Liam stumbles, and Zayn looks up at him, shrugging "the sad part is, it's all true" he mumbles. Liam can't help himself he surges towards Zayn, engulfing him in a hug, "you were right back at Ruth's, Sadie was a spoiled, selfish girl, in fact that's putting it nicely, more nice than she probably deserves" Liam spits. Zayn grins slightly, "well I couldn't exactly call her a conceited, bitch, in front of Bella" he chuckles. Liam laughs at that, because he has a point, and shakes his head, "you know though you were right about something else too" Liam says slowly, and Zayn furrows his eyebrows confused, "Bella doesn't need her, because she's got you, and personally I think one you is better than anyone else in the world" Liam adds seriously. Zayn bites his lip and leans forward pressing his lips to Liam's, he's gone almost before Liam can register the kiss "sap" he murmurs, shaking his head.

Liam cuddles Zayn into his chest after that, the pair settling in to watch a movie while Bella sleeps, no doubt needing to catch up on her sleep from the night before at Ruth's. Liam's phone ringing, makes Zayn pause the movie as Liam pulls it out to see Ruth's number flashing across the screen. "Hello?" he asks, hoping nothing has happened to his dad, for her to be calling him again today, "hey, Liam. I talked to Mason and he wants to talk to you and Zayn, you're still together right?" she asks, quietly. Liam chuckles and nods his head, "yeah, of course, he doesn't work today and neither do I, I'll put it on speaker, you put Mason on the phone" he sighs. Zayn shifts his weight a little and Liam wraps one arm tightly around him, the other holding his phone, which he's now switched to speakerphone, "but he's gonna hate me" Mason whines in the background "Uncle Liam could never hate you" Ethan soothes, also in the background. There's a shuffling before Liam knows Mason has actually picked up the phone, "hi Uncle Liam" he mumbles quietly, "hey bud, what's up?" Liam asks gently, as upset as he is about Mason upsetting Bella, he's never going to be cruel to his nephew. "Is, Uncle Zayn there?" Mason asks just as quietly again "I'm here" Zayn murmurs. Mason sighs, "I'm sorry" he says, followed by a long pause "tell Bella I'm sorry too?" he asks carefully. Zayn bites his lip and Liam sighs, "you already did that bud" Liam points out, which is true Mason had apologized before they left the house. "I know, but I really am. I wasn't tryin' to make Bella sad. I just wondered, I never met anyone with no mum" Mason mumbles.

It's quiet both in the apartment and on the phone, before Zayn reaches out and grabs Liam's phone in his hands, "Mason? It's Zayn, you're fine, no one is upset with you anymore alright? You were just curious and there's nothing wrong with that" he says gently. Zayn's tone and entire demeanour makes Liam grin, he really is good at this whole parenting thing, even when he's not actually parenting his own child. "You sure" Mason asks quietly, his voice unsure, "I'm positive" Zayn replies "thank you" Mason giggles "hey buddy?" Liam asks, "yeah Uncle Liam?" Mason asks, "I love you" Liam says. Liam can picture Mason rolling his eyes "I love you too, here's Mum" he answers. There's shuffling before Ruth is back on the phone, "thank you, he seems happier" she sighs and Liam laughs "it's all good Ruth, go spend some time with your kids, everything is sorted out" he replies."Yeah goodbye baby brother" Ruth chirps, hanging up before Liam can protest. Liam tosses his phone onto the couch, as Zayn grins and pushes his face into his chest, "glad that's all sorted out" Zayn murmurs and Liam nods, pressing a kiss to Zayn's head "me too" he agrees.