Chapter Fifty Eight

Chapter Fifty Eight – Liam

Liam's phone ringing jolts him awake, cursing he rolls away from Zayn, fumbling for his phone in an effort not to wake up the sleeping man, his eyebrows furrow when he sees who's calling him. "Ruth, is everything okay?" Liam asks by way of greeting, "not this time Li" his sister mumbles into the phone. Liam feels his heart speed up, "what is it, is Dad okay?" he asks worried, they've all been worried about Geoff's health lately, but he's been too stubborn to go the doctor. Ruth inhales sharply and Liam can hear the worry in her voice when she speaks again "I don't know Li. Mum's at the hospital with him, apparently he collapsed. She called me, asked me to phone you and Nic" she explains. Liam sucks in a breath, "okay, I'll be there soon, Roo" he mumbles, running a hand through his hair, before hanging up the phone. Liam turns to find his jeans from the day before when Zayn stirs in the bed, "Li? Everything okay? Who was on the phone?" he slurs, rubbing at his eyes and Liam instantly feels bad for waking the man up. "I'm sorry to wake you up, Zee. It was Ruth, my dad's in the hospital, I have to go" Liam mumbles, still looking for a pair of jeans.

Zayn is suddenly in his space, wrapping his arms around Liam and pulling him into him, all while mumbling soothing things under his breath. Liam feels himself instantly relaxing in Zayn's arms, "hey it's okay, here" Zayn soothes, handing Liam a pair of jeans, Liam sniffles as he pulls away to pull them on "thanks Zayn" he mumbles as he struggles into the jeans, finally glancing at the clock and realizing it's just after five in the morning. "I'm sorry for waking you up, go back to bed Zayn" Liam murmurs, shoving his phone and wallet into his pocket, Zayn just scoffs, pushing past Liam into the bathroom, that's when Liam realizes Zayn is completely dressed, he wonders briefly when that happened. But Zayn's pushing past him again and he doesn't get a chance to ask him what he's doing before Zayn disappears out of their bedroom, and Liam knows without asking he's going to get Bella. Zayn meets Liam by the door with a still sleeping Bella in his arms, and her backpack slung over his shoulder, "don't give me that look Li, we're coming with you" Zayn murmurs, pushing his feet into his shoes without disturbing Bella. Liam would protest he would, but he's felt kind of numb since he talked to his sister, and having Zayn close by is helping, so he just nods his head, and opens the door to head out.

The ride to the hospital is quiet, and Liam's thankful for it, thankful Zayn knows he needs him with him, but isn't pushing him to talk, because Liam's not sure he can, not until he knows what's going on with his dad. Liam parks the car and waits as Zayn pulls Bella out of her seat, she's still asleep, clutching tightly to the stuffed penguin Liam bought her at the zoo a while ago. They make their way inside the building quietly, Zayn shifting Bella in his arms so he can lace his fingers with Liam's which Liam is grateful for as he approaches the desk, "we're looking for Geoff Payne?" Liam asks quietly. The girl at the desk smiles gently at him before she types a few things into the computer and tells Liam the room number, Zayn thanks her quietly before they turn and head towards the elevator. Liam frowns as they step onto the elevator, "thanks Zayn" he mumbles, and Zayn just furrows his eyebrows at him, "for what?" he asks, smoothing down some of Bella's hair, "coming with me" Liam murmurs. Zayn just smiles gently at him "of course Li" he mumbles as the doors open on the right floor. Liam's walking down the hall looking for the right room, but he finds his sisters first, Ruth pulls him into a hug, before Nicola takes him from her arms, "how is he?" Liam asks, as Nicola moves to hug Zayn and Bella carefully. Ruth frowns as she steps around Liam to hug Zayn as well, "we don't know, Mum's in with him, we're waiting on test results" she murmurs, once she pulls away from the hug. Liam frowns, nodding at his sister's words, "we're going to get some coffee, do you guys want some?" Nicola asks, gesturing towards the elevator, "that would be great Nic" Zayn murmurs, Nicola nods and her and Ruth disappear, leaving Liam alone with Zayn and Bella outside his dad's hospital room.