Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty – Liam

Liam can't help it, when he rolls his eyes as a much older man drones on about how his company will be beneficial for Payne industries, he really can't. Niall kicks him, hard, under the table and raises an eyebrow at him, Liam just grimaces and shakes his head, reaching down to rub at his now throbbing shin. It's not Liam's fault, not really anyways, Zayn's graduation from Uni is tonight and he wants to go see his boy, be there to cheer him on, Zayn doesn't know he plans on showing up, so he hopes it will make it an even better surprise. Liam knows Zayn has to go back for the teacher's certificate, but this is his graduation for his English degree, and Liam is proud of him, knows how much he's sacrificed to get to where he is today. The meeting wraps up a few minutes later and Liam honestly has no idea what happened, as he shakes the older man's hand. Niall trails him into his office, shutting the door behind them, "what was that in there?" Niall asks, gesturing in the general direction of the board room, Liam shrugs, "what was what?" he mumbles. Niall shakes his head, "you ignoring one of our clients, and slipping off to God knows where in your mind, Payne" he scolds. Liam sighs "I'm sorry Ni" he murmurs, Niall grins, "it's fine, but what's up?" he asks, sitting on Liam's desk, (Liam swears he does it just to annoy him). "Zayn's graduation starts in like an hour, and I want to be there for him" Liam explains, although he knows Niall already knows, "then go Li, and can I come?" Niall asks. Liam chuckles nodding his head, this is why he loves Niall, really, the boy is too impulsive for his own good sometimes "if you want to, I guess. But we gotta leave, now" Liam answers, standing up, and pulling Niall towards the door.

Niall lets out a whistle as they enter the auditorium, "this place is packed" he mumbles and Liam nods, remembering his own graduation a few years ago, "so was ours though, remember?" he asks his blond best friend. Niall nods, "yeah and you got completely wasted at the party afterwards, I thought you were gonna die" he laughs. Liam makes a face, "I was not that drunk, I was just having a good time" he mutters and Niall laughs again, "whatever helps you sleep at night, Payno" he says, patting Liam's shoulder. Liam's about to respond, he really is, when suddenly someone is colliding with his legs, "Daddy, why here? Baba's wearing dress" Arabella giggles, as soon as she makes contact. Liam smiles and spins around to face the toddler, "who are you supposed to be with?" he asks, scanning the crowd for Zayn'sfamily. Bella bites her lip, in a gesture that is so very Zayn, before pouting up at Liam, "Auntie Waliyha, but I see Daddy, and Neil, and runned away" she explains. Liam groans, because he knows Zayn's going to flip when he hears about this, given how crowded the place is, it isn't safe, Liam knows he's going to have to scold Bella, but he's not sure he's strong enough to do it, not here. He hasn't since the incident in his office when he made her cry, Liam scrubs a hand down his face, looking around for Waliyha once again, before turning his attention to Bella. "You know you aren't supposed to run off, especially in a place so big and busy, you could have gotten hurt or lost" Liam scolds gently, Bella pouts and her eyes begin to water, just as Waliyha comes flying over to them, "Oh thank God. I thought I was going to have to go tell Zayn I lost his kid. He would have murdered me" she exclaims. Liam smiles lightly at her, before scooping Bella into his arms, "what do you think you should say to Auntie Waliyha for running away?" he asks. Bella bites her lip and ducks her face into Liam's neck, attempting to hide, "just wanted to see Daddy" she mutters. Liam shakes his head, "I'm glad you wanted to see me, but you can't run away like that, what do you say?" he asks again. Bella sighs and looks out at her aunt, "sorry" she mumbles, before looking up at Liam, "no tell Baba?" she asks and Liam shakes his head, he knows he can't keep this from Zayn, "yes tell Baba" he answers.

Waliyha guides them to where Zayn's whole family is sitting after that, and Bella isn't speaking to Liam, she's still letting him carry her, but she won't acknowledge him in any way. As soon as they're sitting,  Arabella crawls out of Liam's lap and into Trisha's, snuggling into her grandma. Trisha turns to Liam, "glad you could come, I know Zayn wanted you here, but he wasn't sure you'd want to be" she smiles. Liam grins, "I wouldn't miss it, but he never did ask me, so he doesn't know I'm here" he explains. Trisha nods and rubs at Bella's back, "why's she upset with you?" Safaa asks, from Trisha's other side, gesturing to Bella, Niall laughs and Liam shrugs, "she's upset because, I'm going to tell Zayn about her running away from Waliyha, and she doesn't want me to" he explains. Bella growls, actually growls, turning to look at Liam "no, daddy. No tell Baba" she insists, Liam sighs and sends Trisha a pleading look, but she just shrugs at him, "I'm sorry, princess I need to tell Baba, he needs to know. And it wasn't safe what you did" Liam explains. Bella sticks her tongue out at him, "Neil, tell Daddy no" she insists, pouting at Niall, who squawks, and shakes his head, "don't drag me into this, but I think Daddy's right, you can't run away like that. If you got lost, who would play with me later?" Niall asks. Bella bites her lip and shakes her head, before turning away from both men again. Safaa giggles, "you're in so much trouble" she teases Liam, who shrugs, "with who?" he asks, confused. Safaa laughs again, "with Bella, trust me she can hold a grudge" she explains. Liam sighs and nods his head, before flipping through his program, hoping Bella forgives him soon, although he doubts she will.