Chapter Four

Chapter Four - Liam

"Uncle Liam, help!" Mason his four year old nephew yells as he runs past him, chased by his nine year old brother Ethan, Liam chuckles and shakes his head, "you're on your own, pal" he calls as his sister comes to stand beside him. "Ethan, don't hurt him" Ruth calls out, as she hands Liam a drink, taking a sip of her own, "thanks" Liam mumbles but Ruth waves him away. Liam's spending his day off at his parents' house for a family barbeque, his sisters are both there, with their husbands and kids, and Liam's alone as usual. His oldest sister walks outside carrying her six month old daughter in one arm, and a salad in the other, Liam rushes to help her, Nicola smiles gratefully before passing the infant over to him. Liam scoops her into his arms, making silly faces at her, "who's the prettiest baby, hmm?" Liam coos. Alexa gurgles and grins at him, and Liam can't help but smile, "that's right Lex, it's you" he murmurs, pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek before walking back across the patio to watch his nephews and brother's in law chase each other around the back yard. Nicola and Ruth have both disappeared again, and Liam assumes they're helping his mum get everything ready for lunch, his dad, despite Liam's many protests is running the grill, so he's left to settle into a lawn chair with his youngest niece in his arms.

Liam's sitting with Alexa between his legs on the grass, when he feels a tapping on his head, looking up he sees his two year old niece standing behind him, "Uncle Leeyum, I sit too" Kenzi asks quietly. Liam grins and nods his head, as the two and a half year old races around to sit beside him, she leans her head on his arm and sticks her thumb in her mouth, just as her brothers race past again, "Kenz, Mum doesn't want you sucking your thumb" Ethan calls as he passes. Kenzi whines, but doesn't otherwise react, so Liam reaches over and gently pulls her thumb out of her mouth, just as Ruth comes back outside. "Saved you" he whispers and the toddler giggles slightly, nodding her head, "James, don't even think about it" Nicola calls suddenly, to her six year old son, and Liam turns to see him pouting and tipping over a bucket of water, beside where his dad is sitting. "Lunch is ready" Liam's mum calls and Liam grins picking Alexa back up and helping Kenzi to her feet, making his way to the table, Nicola's husband Ryan scoops Alexa into his arms as Liam approaches, "thanks" he says but Liam waves him away, he doesn't mind, not at all, he loves his nieces and nephews and would spend every day with them if he could. Once they've all sat down Karen starts passing out food, Liam, Ruth, and Nicola all protest until she sits down herself, and everyone starts to eat, the table is full of loud chatter and Liam loves every second of it.

"So Liam, go on any dates recently?" Ruth asks, and Liam almost chokes on his drink, he glares at his sister who grins innocently back at him, "no Ruth, no dates" he mumbles, taking another bite of his hamburger. Ruth sighs and opens her mouth to say something else, but her husband Ben gives her a pointed look and she drops it. Liam sends his brother in law a grateful look, he's really not in the mood to discuss his severe lack of relationships, he wants nothing more than to settle down and have a few kids of his own, add to the chaos of these family gatherings, but he can never seem to pick the right man, always finds someone, that only wants his money, not him, or doesn't have any interest in having kids some day. Karen sighs, "I just wish you could find someone dear, I worry about you being alone all the time" she muses. Liam makes a face, because he knows his mum wants him to settle down soon, knows she would love more grandkids, "I'm sure he'll find someone soon, dear" Geoff soothes, resting a hand on Karen's. "Besides he's running the company now, that's gotta keep him busy" Nicola offers, Liam smiles at her, "she has a point" he says, pointing at his oldest sister who winks at him. "That being said, you should let me set you up" Nicola adds on and Liam groans, "not you too. Niall always wants to set me up, I'm fine alright. I can find my own dates" he growls, before getting up and leaving the table, "where's Uncle Liam, going?" he hears Ethan asking as he walks away.