Chapter Eighty One

Chapter Eighty One – Zayn

Zayn's watching Liam sprint after Sadie from where he crumpled to the ground, he hopes Liam can catch her, he's got to, there's no other choice. He feels cool gentle fingers touch his back and jumps "it's okay, I'm officer Jones" she coos, as Zayn hears the sounds of an ATV coming to life behind them. "That's my partner officer Hardwick, he's going to go after them on wheels" she explains. Zayn furrows his eyebrows how does she know what's happening, "the bystanders filled us in, and we were pulling in when they all took off" officer Jones explains. Zayn sucks in a breath "my baby" he mumbles and she smiles at him, "we'll get her back Sir" she murmurs, reaching out to help Zayn to his feet, officer Jones supports his weight and Zayn lets her lead him over towards the cars, where she pushes him gently to sit on the edge of an ambulance. "Any injuries?" a new voice asks and officer Jones shakes her head "no he's just in shock I think, do you have a blanket?" she asks. Zayn doesn't hear the answer but a blanket is being wrapped around his shoulders seconds later and he's grateful for the warmth. "Did you know the woman who took your daughter?" officer Jones asks carefully, Zayn sighs, nodding his head, "yeah she's actually her birth mother, but she signed away all parental rights in the hospital, you can check" he mumbles. Officer Jones nods, writing it all down, "why did she come back now?" she asks and Zayn chuckles humourlessly "money. She wants money" he mumbles. "Okay, you sit tight I need to make a few calls, do you need a drink? Anyone I can call?" officer Jones asks. Zayn shakes his head he can call people himself and he honestly thinks he'll throw up if he eats or drinks anything "keep an eye on him" she says before she disappears.

Zayn's shaking as he just drops his phone to the ground, he'll pick it up later, he's just called Louis, who promised to be there immediately and he called Ruth not knowing who else to call, she also promised to be there soon. There's so much happening around him but Zayn can't focus on anything other than the fact that Bella's gone, the way she sounded when Sadie started to run is echoing in his head and it might drive him insane soon. He needs Liam, but more importantly he needs Bella back, needs her in his arms. Zayn hears a commotion around him and lifts his head to see Louis pushing his way towards him "I'm his best friend, you're going to let me over there" he insists, before Louis is directly in front of Zayn his hands holding Zayn's face lightly. "Oh Zee" Louis murmurs, just as Ruth and Ethan appear as well, a lot less dramatically, "hey Lou" Zayn croaks, "hey, they're going to get her back, she'll be fine, I promise" Louis murmurs pressing a kiss to Zayn's forehead, before he sits beside him holding Zayn's hand tightly. It's the calmest Louis has ever been, Zayn knows he's doing it for him and he loves his best friend a little more because of it. "You holding up okay?" Ruth asks gently and Zayn looks up at her, shaking his head "my baby" he mumbles and she nods "I know, but Louis' right they'll get her" Ruth assures him. "Uncle Zayn?" Ethan asks making Zayn look towards the ten year old "yeah bud?" he mumbles, "she'll be okay, Bella's tough" Ethan says and Zayn smiles reaching ou tto pull the boy into a hug, "thanks" he mumbles.

The waiting is agonizing and Zayn is half tempted to just run off into the direction that Sadie took Bella and Liam followed, but he knows he'll be too far behind and stand no chance. Plus he really needs to just stay here and wait, Louis and Ruth are doing their best to keep him calm, but Ethan's the one really helping, by just being there. Zayn knows he can't completely freak out in front of him, doesn't want to scare the just turned ten year old. "So you're story checks out" Officer Jones says, coming back towards them, "Sadie Collins. Not only did she sign all parental rights over to you, you and your husband? Have a restraining order against her" she continues. "Fiancé" Zayn corrects, "and I know all that so what now?" he asks. Officer Jones smiles at him as Louis runs a hand through Zayn's hair, "it means, she's breaking several laws right now, so as soon as we find her, and we will, she'll be going to jail, possibly a psychiatric hospital, given her record, for a long time" she clarifies. Zayn feels himself relax at that, just slightly, Sadie will be completely out of their lives after this and that at least is a good thing.