Chapter 42

****Guys follow me here and on my Instagram @Dragonblue366 for all the updates. If you wish to buy Little Bride. Discount and promo codes will be only announced on Instagram****

"How did I forget about him?" 

I mumbled those words under my breath. In all this mess, I forgot that the devil was waiting for me patiently. The more he is patient, the harder he is going to pounce on me. I swallowed hard and smiled nervously at my mother before walking toward him in small steps. My heart beat loudly as my ever-small step cut the distance between us. I didn't dare to look into his eyes and nervously sat beside him. I felt his dark gaze on me, but I just looked everywhere but at him. His intoxicating scent started to mess with my head, making me move my chair a little bit away from him to put some distance between us. But to my dismay, he moved his chair too, cutting the distance I created. A lump formed at the base of my throat.

"Why didn't you answer my calls and messages?" he asked in his hushed yet still calm and dominating voice. I could sense his anger, which he was trying to control because we were in front of people's eyes. I keep quiet, not finding my voice. I didn't look at him and acted as if I didn't hear it. 

"I asked you something," he said the same dominance while putting his hand over my bare thighs. He is letting me know of his existence, which I was trying to ignore. It spreads tingles over my bare skin. I tried to remove it, but he didn't let me. His fingers tightened on my skin even more possessively. I looked around to find everyone was busy cheating with each other. I took a deep breath to control my erratically beating heart. 

"I didn't have time to check it. I was busy with dress selection and other work," I mumbled in the same tone, still looking at everyone but him. 

"You had fun at the strip club with two strippers," he said those words calmly but more in a taunt, making my heart beat fast. His hands moved upwards at the edge of my dress, and it made me swallow hard. How does he know there were two strippers at the club? A big bubble of anxiety was rising in me, making my face twitch. My hands moved on him to stop him, but he didn't even budge his finger a bit. His grey eyes fixed on me. He was demanding an answer from me. The intensity in his eyes was burning me. 

"I--I" I couldn't utter a word to answer him. I kept looking at his hand on my waist. 

"Look at me when you are talking tiny," he said those words with the same dominance, ignoring the world around us. Another big lump formed at the base of my throat. It was the last thing I wanted to do. 

"Can I get everyone's attention?" I heard his mother asking for everyone's attention as she taped the spoon to the glass. I let go of my breath when I found her talking. Instead of looking at him, I looked at his mother. 

"Today we have gathered here to celebrate Sage and Xanthus. I am so happy that my son is getting married to this beautiful woman sitting beside him," his mother said lovingly while looking at us with her twinkling eyes. She was truly so happy for us. She continued her small speech, then his father talked. 

"I thought he was going to grow old with his kitchen utensils, but I'm happy that he found his woman's hand in the kitchen instead of a spatula," his father said, making everyone laugh. It made me laugh too—if only he knew what exactly used to happen in the kitchen. A low groan left his mouth at his father's description. My body stiffened upon hearing that sound. Now it was Grandma's turn as she took a long sip of a drink before moving her old, experienced eyes to all of our faces.