Chapter 74

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

"No, I can't! She wanted to find a job on her own, not with my help. "

"Here she is." The head chef turned his head in my direction as if feeling my eyes on him. I didn't know how to react after hearing their conversation. I found my new boss, Raphael, looking at me with his steady turquoise-blue eyes. I have to pretend in front of him that I didn't hear anything. I mustered up a faint smile on my face as I resumed walking towards them. The head chef pulled me to him once I was standing in front of them.

"Hello boss," I said to him with that faint smile still on my face. He gave me a curt nod.

"So you guys have already met each other?" I asked with raised eyebrows, not wanting to show them that I heard their conversation.

"Yes, I was on my way inside to get you when I bumped into an old friend," the head chef said with a grin on his face.

"I didn't know you guys were friends. You never mentioned it before," I said, looking at him with the same surprised look on my face and raising my brows. Something crossed his face. He cleared his throat while looking at home and then back at me.

"I never got a chance to tell you that," the head chef said, trying to cover it up. I kept looking at him with my flat eyes. He started back, looking at the changed look in my eyes. My boss cleared his throat, making us look away.

"I must say she is very hard-working. I have had my eyes set on her work since day one, and she has not disappointed me yet," he said in his firm tone. I felt something when he said 'yet' at the end of the sentence. I didn't know he was keeping an eye on me. It made me feel cautious. This man never failed to give me a nervous feeling. His aura is so mysterious, and it screams danger from a mile away.

What is he?

"She is very hardworking, and she will never give you a single chance to get disappointed with her work. I can tell you from my experience," Xanthus said proudly while pulling me towards him by wrapping his arm around my shoulder with a firm grip. I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes. I don't know what I should feel when he feels proud of me. I don't even know anymore if he is doing it to really praise me or just to do a fake show-off so I don't feel bad for myself. I just can't distinguish it anymore. I remember vividly how many times he tried to fire me for my small mistakes. Raphael slightly nodded his head, looking our way.

"I have very high expectations from you," Raphael said in a firm tone. He said the same words he said on the day of my interview. Last time I thought he was saying it because he was impressed with my work, but now I know he is saying it because he has hired me on recommendation and he doesn't want me to waste the time and money he put into me.

"I will try my best." I swallowed the bitter lump. I couldn't help but interpret their every word and action because now I know the truth.

"I should get going now. I have a few things to take care of," Raphael said while looking at his watch. Xanthus cleared his throat.

"Yeah, we should be on our way too," Xanthus said before we walked towards our car. He was driving the car, and I sat quietly, not knowing how I should confront him. I was doing my best to control my anger and not lash out directly at him. I was so distressed, thinking, What if he opposed the idea of me working? I was even surprised to see his reaction when I told him about getting a job. I remember his expression very clearly. His expression was as if he knew I was searching for a job, and now I had one. I never became suspicious of his reaction. I was so happy that day that I hadn't seen it.

"Tiny, what's wrong? Why are you so quiet?" he asked, breaking my train of thought. It was on the tip of my tongue to ask him why he did this, but I controlled myself.

"It's nothing," I said while looking out of the window. The silence covered us again.

"Why are you not telling me anything about your work today?" He pressed further when I still didn't initiate the talk about my work. It has now become a routine. I tell him about my work as soon as he is back from work, but today I don't feel like sharing anything after knowing the truth. He wants me to talk about the job he got me on recommendation, not my hard work. Even when I got a job at Villains, I had to work hard to win the competition. I had to work hard to keep my disguise. I got it with my hard work. I didn't say anything for a good five minutes.

"Nothing much happened today," I said dryly, still looking out of the window. He didn't say anything after that, and I continued looking out of the window. We reached the Thai restaurant where we had decided to have dinner tonight. I wanted to eat food here, and I was excited about it since the morning, but now that we are here, I don't have any appetite. Most of the time, I kept playing with my food. The head chef kept observing my actions but didn't say anything. We ate our dinner in utter silence. The drive back home was the same. I kept looking out the window. I walked inside the house with a weight on my chest.

"What is bothering you so much?" He took hold of my hand and stopped me. I bit my lower lips and exhaled audibly. The anger and the grief that I have been trying so hard to bury inside me started to surface. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I did my best not to let them fall into my eyes. I still don't look at him.

"You heard everything?" he asked in a firm tone when I still didn't say anything and kept looking in front. A dry chuckle left mouth.

So he knows the reason behind my silence.

_______________________________________
A/N
Hey, guys update for you.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.

Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.

Ashes of a Lie Completed.
Stolen Secretary up to chapter 169.
Bed of Nails up to chapter 22

To know more search PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

I will see you at the next update until then take care and don't forget to have fun.

Vote, comment, and share.