Chapter 72

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

"Fuck" 

The loud voice of files falling and my curse made him look up from his laptop. His steady turquoise-blue eyes looked at me. Did he recognise me? Why won't he recognise you? You are not disguised as a man anymore. How unlucky I am. Every time I try to get a job, there is always an obstacle. It feels like he was having fun making my life hard. I was ready to get kicked out. His eyes moved all over me. Any minute, I will be kicked out. Will he call security to it? What if the head chef comes to know about it? I will be dead if he learns about it. I bit my lower lip in dismay.

"Take a seat," he said in the very next second in his firm voice. I flinch in my place, hearing the dominance in his voice. I stopped biting on my lower lip and looked at him with furrowed eyes. He recognised me but didn't kick me out. To say I was surprised is a very small thing. But I came out of the shock and grabbed the file lying on the floor immediately. I walked over and took the seat in front of him.

His turquoise-blue eyes followed all my small moments with very keen eyes. I couldn't help but admire his features now that I had a better look at them. Aristocratic straight nose with full lips and a sharp jaw like his turquoise blue eyes. The man sitting in front of me was sinfully beautiful. The way he was looking at me, it felt as if he was probing me. I cleared my throat before taking my seat. My gaze fell on the nameplate in front of me. Raphael Blanchett, CEO I don't know why, but a shiver ran down my spine when I read that name. That shiny plate made me look away. I couldn't look at him, so I looked around his office. I kept shifting in my place, feeling a dominating aura around me. His name sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before? I heard him clearing his throat, which made me look at him. It made me stop thinking and give him my undivided attention.

"Sage King," he said my name in his same dominating voice that made me shiver a bit. I didn't correct him because that's the name I put on my resume. I don't want people to give me a job because of the head chef's surname.

"Yes," I said in a small yet firm voice. I was a little intimidated by his demeanour, but I was not scared. I have faced Xanthus villains in my life.

"So you worked at Villine's before?" he asked, looking up from my resume. His turquoise-blue eyes look straight into my eyes.

"I did," she said with confidence.

"Interesting," he said, and I saw a smirk appear at the corner of his lips for a split second.

"But I have heard that they don't hire female employees for their kitchen staff," he questioned again, looking straight into my eyes. My eyes widened a bit. He knows that. It's not a secret, but why does he sound interested in it so much?

"Yes, they don't, but they made a few amendments last year," I said, not telling him throughout. Not many people know that I worked there in disguise as a man. The head chef didn't want anyone to know about it, so he made strict rules about it. He doesn't need to know it. The experience letter I received from Chef Oliver states I work there as a female, so there was no problem.

"So tell me why you left your previous job," he questioned again, making me swallow hard. It felt like he was interrogating me, not taking my interview. His eyes were fixed on me, studying my facial expression. I swallowed hard. I don't know what this man wants.

"To get a better opportunity," I said in confidence. He kept looking at me, then he looked away while nodding his head slightly at me.

"You have worked before in a prestigious restaurant under Xanthus Villain, so you know how much hard work this job needs," he asked in his serious voice while folding his hands on the table.

"Yes, I know I'm very aware of it," I said with a firm nod. I had worked so hard not to get fired by the head chef.

"Hmm," he hummed, like he was thinking about something, but I knew he had already made up his mind. I know he won't give me a job because of what happened in the elevator. He closed the file and looked at me. I took a deep breath and braced myself to get rejected. It was nothing new; I have rejected it before, but still, it will make me sad a bit. Never mind; I will keep searching for new opportunities.

"Good," he said with pause. I bit on my lower lip, and my heart beat wildly inside my rib cage. Just say it fast and get over it.

"You are hired," he said in his firm tone. I knew I wouldn't get hired. No one gets hired with so much less work experience. At least I should have completed a year at my previous job.

"Wait what?" I said suddenly when his words registered in my mind. I looked at him with wide disbelief. I saw him chuckle lightly at my reaction.

"You are hired, Miss King. Congratulations. My secretary will tell you the rest of the details," he said while pressing something on his desk.

"Yes, sir." I was still in shock when his secretary walked in.

"Tell the rest of the details to Miss King. She will join us as our new head chef soon," he said, making my eyes widen even more. He hired me as the head chef.

What is happening?

"Yes, sir, I will do it," she said, bringing me back to earth.

"Thank you so much. I will not disappoint you," I said while standing up from my seat.

"Make sure of it. I have high hopes for you," he said firmly while shaking his hand. His grip was firm. He let go of my hand, not holding it longer. I nodded my head and started walking towards the door. His secretary had already walked out. I turned around when I was at the door.

"I would like to apologise for what happened in life. I was really–" I said I felt guilty for being rude to him.

"Nervous. I can't understand," he said, completing my sentence.

"You don't need to apologise; I would have been the same if I were in your place," he said, but I highly doubt it. He had been so composed and calm. He had such a grip on his emotions. It made it harder for me to believe it. Maybe he is saying this just to put me at ease. I nodded and turned around to walk.

"Miss King," he said, stopping me when I was about to walk out.

"Yes." I turned around, and just like that, I witnessed how this man can go from warm to ice cold in mere seconds.

"Make sure to take the common elevator next time," he said coldly, his eyes set on me. His words held the first warning, and I have not even started working here yet. I knew one thing as I walked out of his office:

It's not going to be as easy as it looks.

_______________________________________
A/N
Hey, guys update for you.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.

Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.

Ashes of a Lie Completed.
Stolen Secretary up to chapter 169.
Bed of Nails up to chapter 22

To know more search PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

I will see you at the next update until then take care and don't forget to have fun.

Vote, comment, and share.