Rookie In Love PT1

Leon POV:

I wave goodbye to the other officers as they finish grabbing their stuff. Thankfully it's been a good shift, and nobody has been hurt, just a few attempted robberies and one lost cat. I sigh, lugging my bag over my shoulder, as much as I love this job, some days it's not what I wanted. Maybe it's the lack of action, or maybe-

I stop in my tracks as I walk down the steps into the main lobby, pausing at the door to the RPD library. A familiar girl sits at the same table as usual, her nose in a book as she chews on her lip.

I look at my watch and let out a sigh, it's coming up to nine at night, but it's a Tuesday which means her dad's probably still finishing up work, and by work I mean having sex with whatever woman fell at his feet, Chief Irons disgusts me, but at the end of the day he's still my boss.

I look around the lobby, the place is practically deserted apart from a few late night officers and the few people who work at the desk. I make a split second decision, telling myself this is the last time, no good can come from this.

Y/N POV:

I chew on my lip subconsciously as I turn the page, a small yawn escapes me as my eyes blur. Dad should have finished work an hour ago, but he often gets caught up doing paperwork, or at least that's what he tells me, so I come and sit in the RPD library to wait since he drives me home. Being a student isn't cheap, so I still live with him and help out as best I can.

"Is that one any good?" A soft but masculine voice says from beside me, I look up to see Leon Kennedy smiling down at me, I nod and sit up straighter as he pulls out a chair and sits opposite me.

"Yeah, not as good as my last read though." I shrug, "How was your shift? Catch all the bad guys?" I tease, closing my book as Leon chuckles and nods.

"Yeah, once again the city is safe." He playfully retorts, then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pack of candy. I take it and murmur a "Thank you" before opening it and setting the pack in the middle of the table for us to share.

Leon and I get into a conversation about our recent reads, it was only a few weeks ago I learnt he wasn't a massive bookworm, but since I reccomended a few books he's become an avid reader, and often seeks me out on evenings like this to talk. I'd like to think it's because he enjoys my company, but then again he's so friendly to everyone, I don't want to overthink it.

"Y/N, are you done?" A gruff voice asks from the doorway of the library. I look up mid conversation to see my dad, Chief Irons, looking between Leon and I with suspicion and a hint of anger. Just once I'd like to give my dad a piece of my mind, but I haven't found the confidence to.

I nod and begin gathering my things, my dad clicks his tongue as if it's an inconvenience to wait. Hypocritical bastard. Leon grabs my jacket for me and helps me into it, which doesn't go unnoticed by my dad.

"Rookie, my daughter is 21, not 5, she can dress herself."

A small blush covers Leon's cheek as he rubs the back of his neck nervously. I look between the two men, and take a deep breath. "It's fine dad, he was just being nice."

My dad glares at me, sending a shiver down my spine. I don't know how he's still the chief of police around here, he's such an asshole and has the worst temper. I avert my eyes to the floor as Leon clears his throat.

My dad finally breaks his stare and begins walking away, leaving Leon and I to say our goodbyes. I lick my lips, holding my book closer to my chest. "I'm sorry he's like that, I should go."

Leon nods as I turn to walk away, but his hand catches my arm and I stop. "You don't have to apologise for his actions, just because he's a...you know, doesn't mean you have to make up for it."

A small smile tilts my lips, "I know. Thanks for keeping me company."

Leon waves it off, but then follows me out. I give him an odd look and he chuckles, pointing at the front doors of the RPD. "I'm actually going this way too." I snort as my dad opens the doors and doesn't hold them for us.

"Dick." I mumble under my breath as Leon walks faster to grab the door and open it for me, I curtsey and laugh as I walk past into the night.

"Same time next week?" I joke, but Leon opens his mouth and closes it.

"Actually," he mumbles, looking unsure and anxious, "what about tomorrow night?"

I tilt my head in confusion, "I'm not here on Wednesdays..."

Leon shakes his head and I glance at my dad waiting at the car, "I mean, can I see you tomorrow? We could meet at that fancy restaurant at seven if you're free?"

My eyes widen but I nod, "Sure. Yes. Absolutely."

Leon smiles a big cheesy grin, but we're interrupted by my dad coughing to catch my attention. I huff and turn around, waving a goodbye to Leon as he stands at the steps and watches me go.

"That rookie is going to get you in trouble." My dad snaps once I'm in the car. I frown as he lights a cigarette and begins driving home.

"No," I say looking out of the window and watching Leon disappear, "I think he's going to get me out of it."