Devils Night

"Another?" I sigh as I raise an eyebrow at Marvin who's dispatching another couple of officers to yet another arson at some abandoned arcade. He nods but doesn't seem surprised, it's as if RPD is used to all the fires and chaos this time of year, or at least specifically tonight.

October 30th. Devil's Night.

I'd only learned about it between the hushed talk and uneasy anticipation between my fellow police officers in the break rooms and office. I'd only started working here at the RPD a few months ago, so this is all new to me. However everyone else seems to be taking it like any other usual Friday night, just with a little more action and a not a lot of empty cells.

The office around me is practically empty now. I sigh as Marvin heads back into his own little office leaving me alone with the other rookie, Leon. He started here a year ago in September, so he's already experienced Devils Night unlike me. We both sit, missing out as we write out some paperwork in silence, only the sound of a fan buzzing across the room. At least half an hour passes until Marvin rushes out of his office, scanning the empty room before his eyes land on us.

"Shit, haven't we got anyone else?" He desperately asks, looking between Leon and I. I shake my head, as Leon pipes up.

"No sir, it's just us."

Marvin runs a hand over his face before sighing deeply. "Then I guess I've got no choice but to send you both out together. There's been a noise complaint from a random civilian, apparently there's some kind of party happening at the old warehouse east side of Raccoon City. Think you can go shut it down by yourselves?"

I nod, already standing and throwing on my jacket as Leon grabs the keys to the car. "We're on it, if we go in and be sneaky we might be able to do it without backup." Leon suggests, but really we don't have any other choice since nobody else is around to help.

"We should change clothes but keep our badges on, if we look like officers we're not even gonna get close." I add as Marvin nods.

"I need you there as soon as you can, so you'll have to use whatever clothes are in the station already." Marvin says, looking more and more concerned by the second. I give him a reassuring smile as I walk past.

"It's okay, we'll be alright. Besides, the night is almost over."

Leon opens the door for me as we rush through the station to go get changed. Leon dresses in the clothes he came here in; simple blue jeans, a tee and a navy jacket. Whereas I borrow a dress from the undercover stash, a black dress with some slightly heeled boots, then add my own leather jacket to make it work, at least I can hide my badge and gun easier.

It doesn't take Leon long to race through the streets with the red and blues on, but as soon as we drive down the dirt road approaching the warehouse he stops and gets out, leaving the cop car nestled behind a bushy area. "We're gonna have to walk from here." He murmurs, his eyes tracking my outfit as I smooth down my dress and nod.

"Let's go." I whisper, hearing the thump of the music already. Leon uses his phone to light the path for us, our eyes meet in the dark every so often but we always awkwardly avert them, I could laugh at the tension between us if it wasn't so smothering.

Once we reach the warehouse the music is much louder, and the strobe lights inside are so bright I have to squint at Leon. "So, we get in, make a few appearances to not look suspicious, then cut the music and lights so people leave?" I check, repeating the plan Leon and I came up with on the way here.

"Yeah, unless you'd rather knock in the door and ask them to leave politely?" He sarcastically teases. I huff and gently elbow him before entering the building. People are everywhere, dancing with drinks in their hands without a care in the world. Admittedly it looks fun, but tonight I'm on the wrong side of the law and have a job to do, so without thinking I grab Leon's hand and lead him to the drinks, grabbing us both a cup of whatever.

"Don't enjoy this, we're still on duty." Leon warns as I down my drink, plastering on a smile as he narrows his blue eyes at me.

"I'm just blending in. Come on, down it so we can dance." I excitedly say, buzzing with the life of the party. Leon mumbles something under his breath before chugging the drink. As soon as he's done I drag him to the dance floor, looking around for a way to cut the music just as Leon grabs my waist.

I gasp, eyes finding his as my chest presses against his. There's too many people for us to be apart, so all I can do is embrace it. Besides, it's not so bad. I lift my arms and wrap them around his neck as I begin to move my hips, swaying to the music, accidentally grinding against Leon. I briefly hear him take a sharp inhale but I don't comment. All of a sudden Chase Atlantic's Church begins to play, and the tension between Leon and I thickens to the point where we forget what we're doing.

I get lost in the music, pressing myself against Leon as his head moves down to my neck, his breath heavy as we move in sync, I'm sure his lips ghost over my pulse, pressing a delicate kiss there. "Look at you rookie, breaking the rules." I whisper thickly so he can hear me.

He chuckles, moving closer to my ear. "We're not officers right now though, we're just two people at a party, having fun for a few minutes." He mumbles. I turn my head, smirking at him before our lips crash together in a messy explosion of lust and desperation. Leon's mouth wins out in our battle for dominance, coaxing a whimper from me as his arms tighten around me.

When he eventually pulls away we're breathless and hot, sweat coating our bodies from the heat inside this place. "The main wire is behind me, and the main power switch is upstairs," I say, remembering that we do indeed have a job to do, "I'll get the lights, then you cut the sound."

Leon nods, giving me one last playful kiss as I depart away from him, pushing my way through the crowd as my heart beats fast. I walk upstairs, blushing at couples making out and more, then find the power switch inside a small office like room. I pull the lever, and immediately the lights cut and people gasp and shout. Seconds later Leon must've pulled the wire because all goes silent, other than the people demanding for it to come back.

They don't move though, so I improvise and lean over the railing, cupping my hands to my mouth. "Quick, the cops are coming!"

Mere seconds pass until people begin to rush out, running as if their freedom depends on it. I find Leon below, looking up at me with a goofy grin on his face.

------------------------------------------------------

Once we're back at the station it's well past midnight, and thankfully things have begun to calm down. This time tomorrow we'll probably just be sorting out TP'd houses rather than fires.

"Great work everyone, now go get some sleep." Marvin says, clapping his hands together as all the cops get up tiredly, making their way out as the other officers begin to take over.

Leon meets my eyes from across the room, giving me a soft smile. I return it, then follow him out. We walk to the parking garage together, silence between us.

"Tonight was..." He begins.

"Unexpected."

"Yeah." He laughs, rubbing the back of his neck. "But not terrible."

I glance at him, "No, not terrible. I mean technically it's Halloween now, so we can be whoever we want for today."

Leon's smile grows as he stops me, looking down the corridor and back before pressing his lips to mine, his hands cupping my face gently. "In that case I wanna be a man who's got a crush on a very pretty girl." He teases.

I grin, "Yeah? I think I'm gonna be a girl who's obsessed with her colleague."

"Obsessed?" Leon quirks a brow as he nudges his nose against mine.

I nod, "Yeah, it's Halloween after all so I've gotta add a little spook to it." I snort. Leon shakes his head and links his fingers with mine, leading me down the corridor.