Claws and Canines| Werewolf AU

When Leon got back from Spain the amount of cuts and bruises were practically uncountable, but the bite wound he had on his arm was my main concern. Even though he'd already been checked out by numerous doctors and government scientists, I still thought that the bite mark looked...odd.

Leon didn't remember much about getting it since way too much happened to him on that mission, but he explained that after seeing a white wolf trapped in a bear trap, he felt an obligation to try and rescue to poor thing. All was going well, until the wolf turned around and bit him. After that, Leon only had time to wrap it up before having to continue his mission to rescue Ashley, the presidents daughter.

My concerns first began when I saw it, looking half healed barely a couple of days after coming home. It was practically impossible for a bite like that to heal so quickly. Next, I noticed that Leon's senses were so much more heightened than when he left.

If I was watching TV on my own whilst he was resting, he'd complain it was too loud, even when I could barely hear it. He once told me that he could smell something odd, and only a few days later I got my period. I put all of this down to his trauma, being jumpy and on guard all of the time, but deep down I think I knew something was going on.

I just didn't expect my boyfriend to turn into a werewolf...

I found out like this, after I began questioning his odd behaviour;

The popcorn was made. The movie was ready to go. Even the blankets were set out. However, Leon was nowhere to be found. I searched the house for him, only to find he was sitting outside, watching the sky with an odd curiosity.

"Leon? The movie is ready to go, if you're-"

"Watch it on your own." He grumbles, not even bothering to turn around and speak to me. In a huff and feeling a little hurt I didn't reply, I just assumed he was in a mood and wanted to be on his own, so I watched the movie by myself then went to bed, not bothering to wait for Leon in case his hideous mood was still lingering.

I was woken up hours later by a restless Leon. He kicks out, then curls into a ball, his face scrunching up. I sit up and rub my eyes before gently placing a hand on his arm to wake him, I know you're not supposed to but I wasn't thinking at the time, I just didn't want him to be scared.

Leon woke with a jolt, immediately growling at me. It took a second until I registered that it wasn't just some deep noise he made out of annoyance, but a full blown actual fucking growl. My eyes widened in the dark. It was exactly a month since Leon had come back from Spain, and I'd later learn that the moon was full.

I squint into the darkness as Leon backs away, falling head over heels off of the bed to get away from me. Getting to my knees I hold my hands up in a surrender, cooing like you would to a frightened animal as Leon's back hit the wall. In the faint moonlight I swear I could see something on Leon's head, then with a gasp I realised that they were his ears. Except my Leon wasn't supposed to have triangular fluffy ears...this Leon, however, did.

"Leon...?" I draw out, watching as they prick up, he tilts his head a little, then slowly he reaches up a hand, touching them. At the same time I notice his nails are a little longer, after that it didn't take long to figure out that the white wolf Leon saved was none other than a werewolf.

His face is full of pure shock, he begins to shake to the point where my own fears are thrown out of the window. I climb off of the bed and crawl over to him, stopping midway when he tries to back away from me even further. "Don't come close. I-I don't want to hurt you." He worriedly says. It breaks my heart.

"You won't hurt me." I softly reply with confidence, "If you wanted to, you wouldn't have purposely tried to protect me from yourself."

Leon's brows furrow as he thinks, so I use the opportunity to scoot next to him and wrap my arms around his body. At least that feels the same, and when Leon relaxes a little, I reach up and begin to stroke his hair, carefully minding his ears as he focuses on his breathing.

"I don't know what's happening to me." He shakily says. I don't tell him my prediction, since I think he already knows but is in denial. Eventually, Leon feels comfortable enough to turn his head to me. I close my eyes, waiting for him to kiss me in his own time without the pressure of me moving too.

However, I feel a wet, rough sensation on my cheek. My eyes pop open, only briefly seeing Leon's pink tongue poke back inside his mouth as he blushes, already forming an apology. "Don't apologise," I interrupt, "that was cute."

Leon frowns, but his mouth curves a little. "I don't know why I did that, I just..."

I shake my head, then carefully stand and hold out a hand for Leon to take. "It's okay, we'll get through this and figure it all out. Once a month we'll deal with this together, and I promise you won't ever be alone."

He takes my hand, blue eyes piercing in the dark as he murmurs "I trust you."