Mentor Meet Matchmaker PT 3

AN: So many of you have been enjoying this little story, so here's the final part!
------------------------------------------------------------

6 years after part two...

I'm lounging on the sofa reading when my phone rings from across the room. With Leon in the shower, I stand and head over to it, sighing when I see the number.

"Hello?" I say, already expecting my boss on the other line.

"You're needed for an important mission. It's intel gathering, it'll take months to do but it's crucial someone trustworthy and capable is sent out for this one. You were hand picked by the officials."

Immediately I'm filled with worry. Lately my missions have been small, only basic rescues from amateur terrorists or a honeytrap. My hand instinctively rests over my lower stomach as I shake my head, but remembering my boss can't see me I tearfully reply.

"I-I'm sorry but I can't. I...You have to choose someone else." Before I lose my nerve I hang up. Then feeling weak and sick I rush back to the sofa, setting my head between my legs as I breathe in and out. Shit.

Leon comes into the living room, dressed in clean jeans and a tee, but his darkening blonde hair is wet and flopping over his eyes. "What's wrong?" He urgently asks, kneeling beside me and taking my hands in his. I shake my head, I haven't told him yet, I know I should have, I'm already starting to show.

"They need me for a mission." I weakly cry. Leon's brows furrow in confusion, I've never declined a mission before. His hand comes up and cups my cheek, wiping my tears as I bite my lip. "I can't do it-"

"It's okay, if you're feeling afraid-"

"It's not that Leon." I whisper, looking down to my stomach. Leon's eyes follow, "I'm pregnant. About two months I think."

His eyes widen into saucers, then his lips form an 'o', then thankfully he begins to grin, an ecstatic laugh escapes him before he wraps his arms around my middle, lips kissing my tummy through my jumper. "Fuck, I can't believe you're baking a baby Kennedy." He grins. I let out a small laugh, relieved he's taking the news well.

Breaking our moment of joy, Leon's phone rings. As I suspected, the government has decided he's next best for the job. "They want you. It's months long, you'll miss all of the scans and maybe even the birth..." I begin as his phone keeps ringing, "but I know you've got no choice, for Sherry's sake. It's okay, we'll be here waiting for you."

Leon's never looked so conflicted. I'm right though, the government would make him choose one life over missing the birth of another, and I know we'd both rather two lives being lived than one.

Leon's mission begins quickly. Within only a week Leon has packed and left, leaving me with over a hundred kisses and tearful goodbyes.

Leon POV:

I'm not planning on missing the birth of my kid, not if I can help it. I spend days traveling to a different country, then even longer trekking to some near abandoned town where a suspected lab is, gathering intel on the research and the staff by pretending to be an intrigued party, willing to invest.

What made the idea of the mission easier was the hope that I could still talk and see my fiancé, but upon arriving I was told that contact was forbidden, and that the risk of leaked information was too high. I was livid, almost to the point of quitting and running back home to my love and our baby, but logically I knew they'd never let me go.

Not until I got the mission done.

So I spent months trapped in my own mind, wondering what she was doing and how the baby was developing. I used my free time reading books about babies and being a parent, and the rest of the time I was working.

Before I knew it we'd gathered the information we needed, and already agents were on their way to relieve me of my post, so I could finally go home. Nerves filled me to the brim on the plane ride, my knee bounced repeatedly as my palms sweated heavily.

I knew I'd already missed the birth of my child. And a part of me would never forgive myself for it. The rest of me knew I'd spend the rest of my life making up for it, by being the best dad I could be.

When I finally approached our front door, I was shaking and felt sick. When I open the door, my life would change forever...

Reader POV:

I hold our son who's bundled up in one of Leon's tees. I knew Leon would miss the birth, but I didn't want our son to only know me, so as soon as he was born I showed him a photo of Leon, and told him that his dad was on his way, he was just keeping us safe first. I did anything I could to incorporate Leon into his life, including wrapping him in Leon's scent and telling him stories about our life.

I hear the front door open, and immediately I'm met with Leon's shocked face. I smile encouragingly, wanting more than anything to run to him and smother him in my love, but I know this is more important. "Hey, want to come meet your son?" I softly say.

Leon nods, dropping his bag and not even taking off his jacket as he closes the door and slowly edges closer, his blue eyes watering as he holds out his arms.

Gently, I pass him the little baby, who's asleep but like his dad, frowning. The resemblance is uncanny, and it fills me with so much love and joy. Leon's shaking as he holds our baby to his chest, tears falling down his cheeks as he gazes down with absolute amazement and wonder. He looks up to me, smiling widely. "We did this. You did this. Thank you."

I begin to cry, but laugh and finally wrap an arm around Leon's middle, leaning up on my toes to kiss his lips. "I love you so much, and I know you'll be the best dad, he already loves you."

Leon carefully strokes our sons cheek with a finger, then our son wakes. I still, waiting to see if he cries at being with someone new, but instead his bright blue eyes widen, along with his toothless smile. A contented noise escapes him as he wraps his little hand around Leon's finger.

"I'm so sorry I missed it all-" Leon begins.

"It's okay," I reassure sitting down as Leon snuggles on the sofa beside me, our son once again asleep, "You're here now, and he won't remember these days, as long as you're here when we need you, there's nothing wrong."

Leon nods, still shaken but more confident. Whilst I'm now a retired agent and full time mother, Leon's still 'employed', but we work it out and make sure our son always feels loved and safe.  We get married within the year, our son grows up happy and we even have another child, a little girl. Leon and I live our happy life together, love unyielding and stronger than ever.