Kennedy Has A Kid

I notice Leon's been stressed lately, he's been snappier than usual and seems distant, is if something is on his mind but he hasn't told me.

One evening, after he snaps at me for tickling him I reach my last nerve. "Alright, I've put up with your moods for long enough, you either tell me what's wrong right now or I'm leaving you for Henry Cavill." I snap, crossing my arms as I stand, glaring down at Leon.

He sighs, leans forward and runs a hand over his face before resting his elbows on his knees. I watch him as he stares at the coffee table in front of him. "There's something I need to tell you, but just know that I only kept this from you for her safety. I didn't know if I could trust you up until now,"

My eyes narrow as I shift on my feet uneasily, I've never seen this serious and secretive side of Leon before. I'm getting nervous. "I've got a daughter." He mumbles, briefly looking at me as I stiffen and don't move.

I must've been kidnapped and tossed into an alternate universe, because I don't see how this is possible-

"Ada and I..." He swallows anxiously, "it was one night long ago. Way before we got together, turns out she got pregnant but decided to keep it a secret. I didn't even know I had a kid until two months ago."

"What the fuck." I whisper, my hands shake as Leon stands, his face full of worry as he grabs my shoulders gently.

"I swear I was gonna tell you, but I didn't know how to, and then between meeting Poppy and arranging for her to live with me, I-"

"Hold on." I breathe out, pulling away from Leon as I process this life altering information. Leon watches, his brows knitted together as he waits for my reaction, I feel like I should be mad, but I'm not. I'm surprised, but I understand his reasoning, after all he's been through of course he's going to be hesitant to trust someone with his daughter.

A daughter he didn't know he had.

Fuck, how could Ada keep this from him? Leon would be a great dad, we'd even talked about it a few times.

"I get if you're pissed, but I was just so scared. I don't want to lose you, but I want my daughter, especially since Ada cares more about her damn job." Leon says tensely. I take a few breaths and turn to him.

"I'm...shocked, but I'd never make you choose. I love you, and even though this is big, I'm willing to try, for you," Leon's shoulders slump, "and for Poppy." I add, bringing a smile to Leon's face. He steps forward and opens his arms, I hug him as I process everything I've learned.

"How old is she? When can I meet her?" I ask, a little excited at the idea of adopting Leon's child.

"She's seven, and Ada's dropping her off in a few days." Leon murmurs above me. I nod and smile, looking up at him with hope.

"Well we better set the guest room up."

Leon and I spend the next couple of days decorating and buying toys and furniture for Poppy, Leon knows her best so he eagerly picks out the colours and things she likes.

As soon as the big day rolls around, Leon and I are nervous as hell. He keeps questioning his capabilities and checking in with me, I try to reassure him as much as I can, but I myself feel anxious and question my motherly skills.

The doorbell rings, Leon dashes to it, and opens the door to see Ada standing there with a little girl beside her, holding a black backpack and a suitcase. Anger flares through me at Ada's easy dismissal of her own child, but Leon grabs my hand and pulls to me to him as he bends down.

"Hey Popster, how's it going?" He coos gently, Poppy smiles and doesn't hesitate to throw herself at Leon, he wraps an arm around her and scoops her up, letting go of me as he shows her around the house.

I glare at Ada as she stares back. "Busy schedule then?" I harshly ask, she purses her lips and nods.

"Listen, I may seem like the villain here but-"

I break her off. "Yeah, you are. I don't like you, and it's obvious you're not a fan of me, but I swear I'll treat Poppy like my own. You don't have to worry your shriveled up heart about her."

Ada sighs, then steps inside to help Poppy feel more comfortable. After only twenty minutes Ada says her goodbyes, and surprisingly Poppy doesn't seem to mind, she's latched onto Leon and I can tell he's the favourite parent already. Ada leaves without talking to Leon, but I don't care.

"Hey, you're so pretty, I love your hair." Poppy says to me without shying away. She's either used to new people or an extrovert, already I love her.

"Thank you sweetie, yours is nicer though, like a princess." I smile, kneeling down as she brushes a hand over my hair. She then leans forward and hugs me.

"Daddy says he loves you lots, which means I love you lots." She mumbles. My eyes widen as I hug her back, Leon looks shook from where he's sat on the sofa, but then he smiles and relaxes, I know he was worried about mine and Poppy's relationship.

Only a few hours later I'm sat in Poppy's bedroom, playing dress up as Leon brings in some sandwiches. He grins at my tiara and plucks a spare on and puts it on as Poppy laughs and climbs into his lap.

"Mom never let me dress up, you're already my favourite!" Poppy giggles at me. I hide my proud smile but Leon sees it, both of us take it as a win.

Over time, Poppy settles in better than we could've hoped for. She sometimes misses her mom but often seeks me out for cuddles, which she's a lover of. We take her to the fair and all kinds of fun places, and after a few months I legally adopt her as my daughter, Ada signs the papers from the mail.

We're a happy family, Leon treasures us both and is the best dad, reading to Poppy almost every night and bakes cookies with her before bed. Though it was sudden and unexpected, it turns out to be the best thing that happens to us.