Pit Stop Perils

I get out of my car, looking around nervously as rain pelts the roof above. I pull my jacket tighter around me as I slowly close the car door. I eye up the police car, both doors swung open but there isn't a cop in sight.

In fact, there's nobody around.

I debate getting back into the car and just continuing straight to Raccoon City, but then my stomach grumbles reminding me I haven't eaten in hours, and the long trip has really taken it out of me. I sigh and walk to the gas station door, I open it slightly and peek my head in, praying that someone will be there to greet me.

The prayers aren't answered. I frown at the darkness, surely if the place was open the lights would be on, right? But that doesn't add up with the few cars outside, people are here, I know it.

I take a step inside, my eyes slowly begin to adjust to the darkness as the door closes behind me with a subtle thump. I step forward, my boots slipping on some dark spill on the floor. I catch myself and look around, seeing the disarray and mess the place is in. I begin to back up until I hear a faint groan, assuming it's a person in need I begin to explore the shop, edging slowly around the corner I gasp when I see someone slouched against the floor, blood streams from a nasty wound on his neck, and his face is so pale.

"Oh shit, are you okay? What happened here?" I panic, rushing to him and kneeling down, he shakes his head gurgling something, I can't understand so he points to the door behind him that must lead to the storage room.

I nod, and even though I really don't want to, I stand and walk down the corridor. I hear a commotion and hurry in case someone needs help, and finally a cop emerges from the shadows. I let out a relieved breath, my shoulders slump. "Oh, I'm so glad to see you, there's a man back..." I begin, but lead off when he points a gun up, he turns his back to me and seconds later another figure roams from the shadows.

The odd figure limps, when a glimpse of light shines down on it I see half of its face is missing. I think I scream, accidentally getting the cops attention. The monstrous figure leaps forwards, tackling the cop to the ground and actually biting him. Flesh is ripped from the cops throat as I spring into action, I kick the figure off of the cop and grab his gun, shooting the zombie, yes zombie, in the chest.

It doesn't go down, my hands shake as the cop goes limp and I know he's dead. I shoot again, this time missing. "Fuck!" I yell in frustration and shock, then I turn tail and run back the way I came. Just as I reach the doorway the injred man from earlier darts for me, his eyes glazed as a deathly groan fills the store.

I duck under his reach and skid across the floor, then suddenly the door to the shop opens and another man around my age comes in. "Move!" He yells, I look behind me to see the zombie inches from my face, I roll as the blonde man shoots him down. I crawl to him, and thankfully the blonde man hauls me up as I grab my gun.

"We've gotta get out of here!" I frantically say, the blonde man nods and bursts back outside, to my disbelief there are at least two dozen zombies lingering outside. Where the hell did they come from?!

The path to my car is blocked, but the blonde man has an idea, he grabs my arm and points to the discarded cop car I saw when I got here. I nod and at the same time we both dodge the undead and throw ourselves into the car. I breathe heavily as the blonde man shifts the car into reverse, then he speeds out of the gas station and onto the rainy road ahead.

I look back, watching as the zombies shrink and disappear from the heavy rainfall. I finally slump in my seat, looking to my left to observe the man. "I'm Leon Kennedy."

"I'm Y/N  Y/L/N" I reply, running a hand over my hair, "Do you know what's going on? I...I saw a cop but..." I lead off, tears spring to my eyes but I blink them away, deciding now isn't the time to break down.

Leon shakes his head, "I was just on my way to the station, hopefully they'll have some answers."

"The police station? Wait, you're a cop?" I ask, arching a brow as I take in his blue jeans and jacket.

He nods, his knuckles white as he grips the steering wheel. "Yeah, I was supposed to start last week but got told to stay away, I guess this is why." He murmurs, sounding a mix of guilty and frustrated.

"I was about to move to Raccoon City too," I huff with a small smile, crossing my arms I gaze out of the window, seeing the city slowly approach. A sense of foreboding washes over me, as if my gut is telling me this is a terrible idea, but I push it down, at the same time I trust Leon, there's something about him that just feels...safe. "Guess us newbies better stick together."

Leon gives me a small smile, he looks at me as if seeing me for the first time, and his eyes widen as if shocked...I've seen that look before, it's definitely the 'wow' eyes. The good kind. "Yeah, stick with me and hopefully the RPD will be safe and have the answers we need." Leon softly says, until we reach a blockade.

Leon stops the car, looking around as if searching for a different route, but there isn't one. "Looks like we walk from here-" He begins but suddenly a zombie bangs on my window, I yelp and back away, ending up almost in Leon's lap. He curses and gently holds my arms, until another zombie then reaches his side. We're swarmed.

"You've gotta back up, we- what is that?" I panic, seeing bright headlights heading right for us. Leon's eyes widen, "Get out!" He shouts, but it's impossible to open the door. As if knowing we have no choice Leon reaches over and grabs my seatbelt, clicking it into place before doing his own. I whimper seconds before the truck swerves and hits nearby cars, which then hit us. Leon's hand grabs mine as our car spins and hits the blockade.

I somehow am fine, I look to Leon to see a small scrape on his head, but he's alive. He nods at me and we climb out, then I immediately climb over the car and reach his side as a fire flickers to life. Leon curses and grabs my hand, pulling me to a nearby alleyway seconds before an explosion rocks the night.

He pulls me to his chest, I breathe in heavily, definitely freaking out as Leon's arms wrap around me. "You're okay, the station isn't that far, can you walk?" He urgently asks as groans sound from around the corner.

I nod, looking up at Leon as if he's my saviour, I guess in some ways he is. He nods, then releases me, but I grab his hand like a lifeline. He links his fingers with mine as we run.

Hours and hours later, after escaping Raccoon City and learning all about the infection and the company behind it. After fighting and so many near death experiences, I lean against Leon, my head on his shoulder as our fingers intertwine. We were picked up by some soldiers claiming to take us to safety, and Leon just nodded for me to trust him.

"Hey, still with me?" Leon softly murmurs, I've been still for a while, thinking.

I nod, looking up at him as his lips press against my temple. "Until the end, you're stuck with me."