Resting In Pieces

My head rests on Leon's chest as his arm tucks me to his side, it's the same position we sleep in every night when he's home. Except tonight Leon isn't sleeping. I can feel how tense he is, I could almost hear his mind whirring from overthinking. "What's keeping you up?" I softly whisper into the darkness.

For once, Leon doesn't hesitate. "I think I'm gonna die soon."

The world stops spinning. For a brief second, my heart stops and my breath stops and I'm not even sure I heard him right. I look at him, watching as he stares up at the ceiling mindlessly. I just react, I roll onto him and straddle his hips, my palms press against his chest as my eyes scan his unrevealing face. It's a complete mystery what he's feeling.

"I'm fine," Leon murmurs, sensing my panic, he grabs my hips and sits up with ease, pressing his forehead to mine, "nothings wrong, but...the missions are getting harder, they keep throwing shit at me and expect me to handle it, but I don't know how much more I can take until it eventually breaks me."

I swallow my tears, knowing right now Leon needs me to be there for him, so I cup his face and reply with a simple solution. "Well quit then."

He shakes his head solemnly, looking at the floor since we both know the answer to that. He can't. They'd find him and drag him back into the field, and even so, Sherry's life is still linked with Leon's duty. I'm all out of answers, and it seems Leon's done talking about the random comment, I wrap my arms around him and feel his head bury into my neck, his long sigh feels to heavy. "You're- You're not planning to die, are you?" I ask, unable to ask if he's having those thoughts.

Leon's head jumps up, his eyes meet mine urgently as he reaches out and links our fingers together. "No. I want to live, but I can only do so much before the next asshole or monster beats me."

"Then you'll try your best then?" I ask.

Leon nods, then lies back down with me still draped on him like a blanket.

******3 months later******

I'm doing the dishes when my phone vibrates in my back pocket. I sigh, wiping my hands before answering it, I don't even see the number. 

"Miss Y/L/N?" A voice asks.

My brows dip. "Uhh, yeah?"

"I'm very sorry to inform you that Mr Leon Scott Kennedy has been killed in action, we offer our most-"

I drop my phone, it lands with a thud as my knees buckle. For a few seconds in staring at the wall, but then tears finally rush in. I sob, curling up into a ball and pressing my body against the wall as if that'll hold me together. My chest aches, my hands shake, and a sense of yearning fills me as I remember Leon's words from only mere months ago. Hours pass without me moving, my legs have cramped but I still can't bring myself to get up, it would feel like continuing my day. My life. One without Leon.

Breaking the deathly silence, my phone rings again, the same number as before calling me. I stare at it with puffy eyes, until I eventually crawl to it and pick up. "Hello?" I weakly ask, my voice wobbles and my throat feels scratchy.

"Miss Y/L/N, I called a few hours ago, but I must inform you there's been a terrible mistake. Mr Kennedy has been found but in a bad shape. He's being taken to your nearest hospital-"

"I'm on my way." I say, heart racing as I stand on weak legs and grab my jacket and purse. I drive to the hospital in no time, then rush in and ask almost every nurse where Leon is until one finally points me in the right direction. I run down the corridors, feet skidding to a stop outside his room. A few men watch me curiously, they must be other agents or friends of Leon's. "Can I see him?" I ask, one nods and I hesitantly step into the room.

Leon lies there on the bed, various wires are attached to him and there's a bloodied bandage wrapped around his chest, so close to his heart. I cover my hand over my mouth, muffling a sob as I approach him and take his hand in mine, sitting in the chair beside his bed. "This one must've been tough, huh?" I whisper, watching as his closed eyes blink. I rub my thumb over his hand, watching the rise and fall of his chest steadily. I've never been so grateful to watch him sleep, usually I'd find it odd but tonight it feels like a blessing. I'll never take anything for granted again.

A nurse comes in, messing with some of his wires and explains to me his injuries. He was so close to dying, but the bullet missed. She tells me Leon should wake up soon, but he might have to stay in the hospital a while so they can keep an eye on him. I nod, then finally she encourages me to go and get some sleep.

I don't bother telling her I'm not leaving the hospital, but I do stand and head out of the room, coming face to face with a familiar woman in a red leather jacket. "Claire." I breathe out, wrapping my arms around her. She hugs me back, and I'm glad she's here.

"Hey, how are you holding up? Is Leon okay?"

I tell her everything I know, then step aside to let her in to see him. I head to the coffee machine, grabbing a strong one before sitting on the chairs, glad the men are gone and I'm alone to think. Not long after Claire joins me, sitting beside me as she bites her nail, clearly worried about one of her oldest friends. Despite having a coffee, I find myself dozing off from the shock and worry built up over the last few hours. I'm woken up some time around three or four in the morning by a doctor, telling me that Leon is awake.

I immediately go into his room, eyes wide when I see him sitting up and staring back right at me. "Leon?" I whisper, rushing over to him and wrapping my arms around him as best I can. For the millionth time I cry, but this time they're tears of relief. "Oh my God, I'm so glad you're alright."

"I failed you." He mumbles. I pull away, seeing him frown at me in a mix of regret and disappointment in himself. "I couldn't beat them."

I shake my head, "You didn't fail anyone. You're alive, and that's all that matters to me. I thought-" I break off, catching myself before a sob breaks free, "I thought I was going to have to bury you."

"Well technically I'm resting in pieces, or it at least feels like it." He murmurs, giving me a small smile as he brushes a hand over his wounded chest. I can't help but smile back, forever glad Leon's personality and wit will always stay true.

He tugs me onto the bed, moving slightly to make room for me despite me narrowing my eyes at him for even lifting a finger. "I'm so glad you're gonna be okay." I say after a few minutes.

"It's okay. I'm not going anywhere, at least not this time."