Sewer Shocks- PT 2

I follow Ada and Leon down the sewer corridor, still trying to wrap my head around everything currently going on. It's one thing to be living in a literal zombie outbreak, it's another to be chased by a giant alligator.

We reach a small elevator so I step inside and lean against the wall next to Leon as Ada stands opposite, crossing her arms smoothly as if she isn't bothered by any of this in the slightest. The doors close and Leon checks in on me again. "You sure you're okay?" He softly asks, his eyes drilling into mine to the point my breath hitches. How can I be so enamoured by someone's eyes?

Ada clears her throat as if sensing the romantic tension between us. I finally nod, giving Leon a small smile as I squeeze his arm. "I'm still alive thanks to you, I'll take that as a win." Leon watches me for a second longer before turning to Ada. I listen as they talk about the outbreak and virsues, and we finally learn about Annette Birkin, the one who made this entire shitshow happen.

We reach the bottom and the doors to the elevator open, I swallow uneasily and go to follow Leon, his hand reaches out to help me out even though it's completely unnecessary. I take it, his touch lingering as Ada sighs. "Thanks." I mumble to Leon, then walk past them both to open the door, hoping my current bravery makes up for my earlier fear.

"Definitely William's handiwork-" I hear a female voice say, I stop as I see an older blonde woman crouched over a dead body. Leon immediately pushes me behind him, rasing his gun.

"Identifiy yourself." Leon asks, sounding just like the cop he is deep down. Before the woman can respond Ada pulls out her own gun and steps beside Leon as I stand back and watch.

"Annette Birkin." Ada states.

"She's who we're looking for?" I ask Ada as Annette stands unfazed by us. "Not much time..." She mumbles, "need to dispose of it." I frown at her uncaring and cool nature, looking down at the corpse I wonder who the person was, did they have a family?

"We're here for the G virus!" Ada demands, stepping forward. Leon's eyes dart to mine as I edge closer to him, sensing this isn't going to go down well.

"That's not going to happen." Annette shrugs, grabbing a lighter and throwing it onto the body. Immediately Annette turns and runs, so I spring into action to follow her, however gunshots fly and in a blur Leon tackles me to the floor, his body yet again covering mine to protect me.

Ada curses, shooting back at Annette, but she's gone. Everything goes silent as the door closes, and once again we're one step behind.

"Leon?" I ask as he rolls off of me, wincing as he grabs his shoulder. I sit up, leaning over him as blood begins to appear.

"Shit, Ada help!" I panic, putting pressure on the wound as Leon looks up and watches me. His hand cups my cheek as my eyes fill with tears, I have no clue what to do.

"Forget about me, just go. Stop her before she gets away." Leon weakly says, looking between me and Ada. I shake my head, putting my hand over his as his thumb brushes my cheek, "You're still alive, I'll take it as a win." Leon huffs with a fragile smile, using my earlier words as I bite back a sob.

Ada swallows then kneels down, Leon passes out and his hand falls. I stare and stare as Ada rips his uniform and begins to patch him up, she looks like she knows what she's doing, and though I don't trust her, I think she'll keep him alive. Sadness turns to anger, I swipe up Leon's gun and stand, wiping his blood from my hands.

"Keep an eye on him, if he dies I'll never forgive you. I'm going after Annette." I say with one last look at Leon, his face finally peaceful. In some ways I'm glad he's kind of escaped this nightmare temporarily....

I find Annette but she outsmarts me, and I end up falling into some kind of garbage disposal room, slicing my leg on something sharp. I hiss, looking around the dark room wondering if this is where I'll die, but hopefully Leon is alive and okay. Darkness overcomes me as I pass out for some time.

I wake up to someone shouting my name. Leon? My eyes open, I ache everywhere but manage to sit up. "Y/N where are you?!" Leon shouts desperately.

"Over here!" I call out, then seconds later I see him. He looks okay and doesn't seem to be in a huge amount of pain. Leon rushes over to me, kneeling down and crushing me into a tight hug.

"Thank god your alive! why the hell did you run off on your own?" He snaps, but his face softens as I shake my head and breathe him in.

"I didn't know what to do. Ada could help you so I figured she'd the the best one to stay, I wanted to go after Annette, I wanted to help." I explain, noticing now how Leon's body shakes.

I rub his back comfortingly as he lets out a shaky breath. "I really wanted to kiss you earlier..." He mumbles as I smile and pull away, his eyes dart to my lips as I cup the back of his neck, pulling him closer until our lips are inches apart.

"Me too. I mean we have a second now to-" I begin, but I don't get to finish because Leon immediately closes the distance between us, kissing me tenderly as his hand wraps around my back, I lean up to deepen the kiss but then a burst of pain in my leg causes me to retreat.

"Shit, I'm sorry, I forgot-" Leon apologises, but I shut him up with another short kiss and pull away. He reaches into his uniform and pulls out some medical supplies, then dabs at my wound as I bite my lip. He then wraps it up, his touch burning my skin in the best of ways, I watch his brows furrow in concentration, then after he finally looks back up at me. "That feel okay?"

I nod, "All better, thank you Leon." I murmur, he stands and helps me up, wrapping my arm around his neck as I limp. Seconds later Ada appears at the doorway, watching us with disdain.

"Right. Now we can get back to finding the virus." She says, not even asking if I'm okay before turning and leading the way. I frown, my trust in her practically gone now.

"When we get out of here, I'll have to take you somewhere nice, maybe for dinner or a movie?" Leon asks as we both slowly follow Ada to a cable car.

"Isn't this a unique date though? Not many couples get to survive an outbreak together." I joke to lighten the mood. Leon chuckles as he smiles down at me, his blue eyes full of awe.

"So we're a couple?" He teases, I blush and begin to stumble over my words but he kisses my head and shrugs, wincing afterwards. "I'm glad I didn't have to ask, my speech wasn't ready yet."

I snort as we reach the cable car, but my smile fades as an odd feeling washes over me. We still have a long way to go before we're safe.