Drinks and Discussions

"Well we've got a few hours to waste until the others arrive, why don't we go grab some drinks?" I smile up at a frowny Leon. He stares at me for a second as if I've grown a second head, but when I keep staring back he knows he's losing a one sided battle.

"Fine. But not too many, you've actually got to be able to function for tomorrow's mission." He mumbles, grabbing his jacket and following me out of the hotel and to the local bar. I order us some drinks but Leon pays, tapping his card before I can even grab my own, I just nod a thanks and pick us a table in the corner, where I know he'll be most at ease.

It's dim and soon begins to fill as the evening hours close in on us. Conversations surround us, but Leon makes no attempts to talk to me. He just simmers in the corner, staring at the table and toying with the beer label. I tap my foot to the distant music, pursing my lips as my brain fries trying to think of something to talk about with Leon.

"So, do you like this song?" I ask, wincing at the look he gives me. His brow raises up in amusement as his lips tilt ever so slightly, but instead of giving me that amazing smile he shuts himself down and shrugs.

"It's alright."

I nod, looking around to see if there's something we can do. The dart board is occupied and almost everyone has a group around them, so flirting with a stranger isn't an option. I peek at Leon out of the corner of my eye, he's still sat up straight, deep in thought and intent on keeping quiet. I bite my lip, then decide to try again.

"What's  your opinion on the melting ice caps? Because I saw this documentary about polar bears and-" I begin, but Leon sighs deeply as if dealing with a child and not a fellow agent.

"What are you doing? I thought we were having drinks to pass the time?" He asks, picking up his bottle of beer and taking a hefty swig. I watch his throat, blushing at how attractive that was to see.

I nod, now it's my turn to anxiously avert my eyes and toy with the beer coaster. "Yeah, but drinks usually come with discussions Leon." I laugh nervously, feeling silly for this entire idea. I knew I should've just gone to my room and taken a nap.

Leon's eyes widen slightly at my reaction as if he's finally realising our predicament and his mistake. He looks away for a second before shuffling in his seat and opening his mouth. "I don't really like this song, I'm more of a rock fan. And yeah, the polar bears are in for it. And for extra, I like polar bears, but brown bears are my favourite kind." He then adds a smile as if he's proud of himself.

My lips turn up, okay so maybe this can work. "Mine too. Okay, tell me what you do in your free time, other than reading," Leon opens his mouth as he tilts his head in confusion. I raise a hand to stop him, "I saw you reading Don Quixote the other day instead of doing paperwork."

He huffs a laugh, nodding at me. "Well I like watching movies."

"Eveyone likes movies Leon. You're gonna have to be more specific." I tease, leaning forward as he chuckles.

"Casablanca. Die Hard. John Wick. I prefer older movies but there's something about action ones that are just so..."

"Relatable?" I offer with a tilt of my head.

"I was going to say fun." He murmurs, his posture more relaxed than before. I nod, then sip on my drink as I think of another question that'll unravel the mystery that is Leon Kennedy, but to my surprise Leon asks me a question instead.

"If you could go anywhere, where would you go?"

I raise my brows at the good question, "Wow, that's a good one, look at you being all interested." I smile before telling him my answer. Leon nods and listens intently, and I can't help but to feel like this is more of a date than a casual waste of time.

"I've always been interested in you." Leon mumbles once I'm done talking. I blush at his words, then as if realising what he's said his own cheeks heat up. "I don't mean it like that, well, I just...you're an enigma I want to solve, you always ask questions and learn about everyone else, but hardly open up enough for anyone to learn anything about you."

I open my mouth, then close it because I'm shocked. He's the first person to ever notice. Usually people love it when I make it my mission to learn about them, and they hardly ever care to ask about me. I got used to it, and now it's an instinct to ask the questions and expect to not receive them. "I guess we both need to do some detective work on each other then." I softly say, earing a wide smile from Leon.

"I'm happy to do some overtime and figure you out." He says, catching my eyes. My breath stops as my palms begin to sweat. My heart beats erratically at the way he's looking at me, and I never want him to look away. The ding of my phone pulls me out of my trance, I glance down to see that the rest of our team has arrived at the hotel, and that the briefing should begin soon.

"We should go." I mumble, clearing my throat and standing. Leon nods, following my lead as we head back to the hotel, but on the way he surprises me once again by asking yet another question.

"Do you want to have dinner with me some time? I prefer Italian or Mexican but I'm open to suggestions."

I feign shock, though honestly it's half fake. "Did you just tell me something about yourself without me asking?!" I bite back a grin, "I'd love to have dinner with you, and I also love Italian food."

Leon's eyes light up as he holds the door open for me, I thank him and head inside, preparing myself to do this mission as quick as possible so I can focus on my personal one; to see if Leon likes me back. Though I think I already know.