K9 Kisses

I softly hum as I kneel on the floor of the dog kennels, running a brush through Toffee's fur as his tongue lolls out, he's always been the softie out of all the K9 unit, hence why he's my favourite, plus he's still in training, so I kind of feel like a mother to him.

The door behind me opens and Toffee immediately sits up straight, I turn to see the police lieutenant Marvin Branaugh leading another officer into the room. I frown, not recognising the blonde man. "Hey Y/N, I'm just showing our newest rookie around. Y/N, meet Leon S. Kennedy." Marvin gestures to Leon, who steps forward and holds out a hand. I smile, standing up as I walk towards him and return the handshake.

"Hey, nice to meet you. As you've probably figured out, I work in the K9 unit, looking after the dogs mostly, this is Toffee, our rookie pup." I softly say as Leon smiles kindly at me, Toffee walks towards Leon, sniffing his legs before sitting and looking at me.

"Does he approve?" Leon jokes, bending down and holding out a hand, which Toffee brushes in to, then Leon gently scratches behind his ears. I roll my eyes as Toffee lies down, his tail wiggling rapidly as Leon coos and pulls a face.

"Yeah, I think you've just become his favourite." I mumble, then laugh as Toffee rolls onto his stomach. Marvin clears his throat, I'm guilty I forgot he was still here. "You're welcome to come back anytime, I'm sure Toffee would like to hear about your daily adventures." I say as Leon stands and wipes his hands on his uniform.

Leon smiles, as if knowing I'm not actually talking about the dog. "Yeah, I'm sure I can find time." He murmurs, watching me for a beat longer until he steps back and follows Marvin out of the kennels.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, then look down at Toffee. "I'm glad you're not the only one who's a fan of him, let's hope he comes back soon," I huff, "right, who's next for a puppy pamper!" I call out to the other dogs.

The next day I'm midway through feeding the dogs when Leon comes back, alone this time. "Hey, didn't think you'd be back so soon." I laugh, grabbing two bowls and heading to the cages. Leon shrugs and comes over, taking the bowls from me as I open the cages and slip the food in.

"Yeah well, Toffee really made an impression, I guess I wanted to see her- him!" Leon corrects, rubbing the back of his neck nervously, I smile at the slip up and go to grab the other bowls, Leon silently helps which makes feeding time much quicker than usual, so I hop onto the counter as Leon strokes one of the other dogs through the cage.

"So, how was your first day?" I ask.

Leon nods, smiling so brightly my breath hitches at the sight. "It was good. The other officers are really great, and I only got lost twice. I'm hoping to make my first arrest later, I mean...I guess that sounds weird." He leads off.

I shake my head to reassure him. "No it's okay, one less dangerous person on the streets, right?"

Leon nods, then we end up talking and getting to know each other until he has to get back to work.

A week later I'm with Toffee again, kneeling on the floor as I put on his harness and bullet proof vest. I'm worried about his first bust today, but I've trained him well, so as long as the officers look after him, I'm content. Leon comes in carrying two to-go cups, a habit he picked up after learning I barely leave the kennels. He sets them aside and tilts his head in confusion as I stand and leash Toffee up.

"He's already being assigned?" Leon asks, I nod as I bite my lip, clearly my worry is infectious. However Leon steps forward, but Toffee thinks he's coming for a fuss and leaps at him, pulling me unexpectedly.

I gasp and lurch forward, falling. I wait for impact but it never comes, I open my eyes to see Leon's arms around me, his face inches away from mine. His eyes dart to my lips briefly, my breath catches and ever so slowly he closes the distance between us. The kiss is short lived though, because Toffee barks and causes us to jump apart, clearing our throats and mumbling nonsense.

I stand, dusting myself off and then scolding Toffee, but when his ears go flat, I sigh and stroke him. Already I know he's not going to be part of the K9 unit for long, he's good but excitable, and I can't change his personality. Regardless, I'll take him in if that's the case.

"I should probably get going," I smile, walking to the door with the dog, "but I'll see you later."

Leon nods, wishing Toffee luck before I leave. The next day Leon comes back again, but this time he brings me flowers and asks me out on a date, which I glady accept.