Crowns and Commitments| Royalty AU

AN: I got a lovely request to do a royalty AU with Leon being a prince and Reader being a Princess.

In this one, they're both childhood friends from different kingdoms, reunited for their arranged engagement!

✨️👑💍

Also quick update; I promise I am seeing all of your requests, it's just taking some time to write them all!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I smooth out my gown nervously, shuffing on the throne beside my fathers as he sits as regal as ever, occasionally he throws me a disapproving look for my knee bouncing beneath my dress. I didn't even know he could see, so I stop and begin focusing on the patterned marble floor instead. I force myself to breathe in and out like my mother used to teach me when my anxiety became too much, but it's not working. Stressing over a simple tea party isn't the same as meeting my future fiancé for the first time.

Since finding out I was to be engaged to a, I've been a complete mess. Internally at least, since being the princess requires stability and control. I've been trying to gather information on my future husband, but denied any scrap of information other than he's a prince from another kingdom, and that our kingdoms will benefit from each other.

I sigh, earning another stern look from the king. Just as I fix my posture, the doors to the throne room finally open and trumpets being playing. I raise my brows, watching as a group of guards dressed in another kingdoms colours march in, followed by a figure dressed in the finest blue materials. My breath catches when I finally see his face.

My childhood best friend, Prince Leon Scott Kennedy.

He looks so different now...and just as handsome. It's been ten years since I last saw him, and whilst I'm happy to once again see him, the feeling of annoyance bubbles up inside of me. It dissipates the second Leon bows before me and my father, his golden crown glistens from the sunlight streaming inside from the large windows.

I find myself standing, walking down the steps as I raise my dress up to prevent falling over. Leon watches, eyes darting behind me in question since I'm breaking royal protocol, but I've never been good at keeping my emotions in check around Leon. My smile grows as I open my arms, wrapping them around Leon like I used to when we were younger. He stiffens, feeling hard where he used to be soft, but then gives me a quick hug back, mumbling into my ear "It's good to see you again Wildflower." I huff a laugh at the familiar nickname, it's one he thought of within our first week of meeting, when I'd always pick wildflowers for everyone I liked.

Behind us, the king clears his throat disapprovingly. Blushing I step back, and give Leon a curtsey to correct my informalities. "Your highness, welcome." I stiffly reply, wanting to say so much more. Leon nods, then I head back to my throne and sit down, suddenly feeling too hot.

"I hope your travels were acceptable, and I'm looking forward to seeing you at the engagement dinner this evening Prince Leon." My father politely says. Leon replies, speaking in small sentences, but I don't hear them, I'm too amazed by how much has changed between us, but the butterflies never left me.

**************

The engagement dinner is surprisingly unromantic considering it's supposed to be a personal celebration of our figure union. It's mostly politics talk, my father plans the details and agrees on certain terms and conditions that Leon suggests, honestly I begin to feel more like a prized pig than a princess, until Leon, who sits beside me at the head of the table, says "May I ask if there's anything Princess Y/N would like to gain from this union?"

My father turns red, but doesn't speak up. I'm shook, never even thinking that I'd actually get to ask for something or have any freedom. I open my mouth, then close it, unsure how to respond.

"I would-" I begin, but my father interrupts me and waves off my idea.

"She doesn't need anything."

Leon's eyes linger on mine until I lower them to the table. My father begins speaking until Leon raises a hand, quieting him. He then gestures to me, warmly smiling for me to continue.

"I would like one free weekend a month to explore as I please." I ask, heart fluttering as Leon's eyes soften even more, the blue looking as oceanic as ever.

"Agreed." Leon murmurs, not even sparing a glance at the king. The king sputters but then gives up, knowing he can't argue with two against one. I smile, already looking forward to the freedom of exploring and learning about my future kingdom more.

Conversation soon begins again between the king, knights and advisors, so Leon uses the opportunity to talk to me lowly, so nobody else can hear. "I'm glad to learn you're not a complete stranger to me."

My brows knit, until Leon gestures to my empty dessert bowl. I hide my smile, biting my lip as I shrug. "I still don't understand why everyone waits so long for the best part."

"Some things are worth waiting for." Leon replies, eyes burrowing into my soul as everything else fades around us. My breathing quickens, until a loud clang breaks our moment. I force my eyes away, and go back to eating in silence until the dinner is over and I'm pulled away by servants ushering me for my bath. I hold back my arguments that I'm old enough to look after my own hygiene, feeling discombobulated after reuniting with Leon.

That night I struggle to sleep. Tossing and turning I give up and slip on my slippers, padding to the library to seek some comfort in fictional worlds. At first the room seems empty, with only the roaring fireplace heating the large room, but as I step closer to the sofas I see a figure sat reading. I gasp, pressing a hand over my chest.

"Leon! You scared me!" I laugh, then I grab my book off of the shelf and go to sit beside him. He doesn't move, but I don't mind, even after all of these years we're still comfortable with sharing space.

"Sorry, I didn't think anyone would come in at this time of night, but then again I should've known my little wildflower would seek me out and-"

"I wasn't seeking you out!" I argue, slamming my book shut until I see Leon laughing at me. I soon let out a laugh of my own, shoving Leon as he catches himself and sets his novel aside. "You didn't come to visit me very often after being crowned..." I mumble, leading off as the laughter fades.

"I know, and I'm sorry about that. Becoming the Prince was...it was harder than I thought."

I nod, then so so slowly, I lean forwards and take his bare hands in my own, feeling his skin against mine rather than wearing gloves as I'm forced to all the time. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." Leon whispers, slipping a hand out of mine to reach up and cup my cheek. I'm barely breathing as he presses his lips to mine gently, as if shy and inexperienced. I move slowly, tilting my head until the sound of the grandfather clock strikes twelve, making us both jump.

We both smile ruefully at each other, then move in for another more passionate kiss. As Leon's arms wrap around me I feel a sense of safety and understanding, like I'm home and my future is no longer a scary thing. At least it isn't when I'm going to be spending it with the love of my life by my side as my prince, and one day king.