Guitar Strings

AN: I listened to Swan Upon Leda by Hozier when writing this, and imagined Leon to play the song on the guitar even though it isn't specifically mentioned♡
-----------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe they've ordered me to have three whole months off." Leon grumbles, walking over to me and flopping on the sofa beside me as I glance up from my phone, arching a brow. Whilst I'm glad I get Leon for a quarter of the year, I don't know how he's going to spend his days.

"What do you plan to do?" I ask, locking my phone and snuggling up to him, my palm resting on his chest as he covers my hand with his own. There's a faint scar on his hand left from his mission in Spain only a couple of months ago. His thumb brushes the top of my hand as he lets out a long sigh, shaking his head looking well and truly lost.

"I don't know...we could go somewhere?" He suggests. I know he has more than enough money for us to just get up and go on vacation, but I'm not the type to impulsively up and leave without at least a few weeks planning. Leon knows it, and already moves on to more ideas. "I could get another job-"

"No way," I frown, "you deserve this break. Why don't you try do something new? Like starting a new hobby?"

Leon's brows raise as if he never thought of the idea of doing something that actually means having time. He nods, musing it over as I swing my leg over his lap and climb onto him. His hands hold my waist as I straddle him, cupping his jaw as he leans back and relaxes.

"You should play guitar, you've got the look for it." I mumble, earning a snort from Leon. He looks up at me as if I've grown another head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He questions, hands rubbing my skin as I blush and lift a shoulder up.

"You're hot, you'd definitely be the eye candy if you ever joined a boy band. I'd be your best groupie." I tease, leaning forward and nuzzling my face into his neck. Leon chuckles, his arms wrapping around me into a nice hug as he hums in agreement.

A few days later I wake up later than usual, hearing some banging I pad to the front door to see Leon coming in with a giant box and a brown paper bag. He grins when he sees me, setting it all down to pull my waist towards him and press a kiss to my lips. "Hey, just in time, I went and bought some of your favourite pastries from that place you like." He murmurs. I grin, thanking him as I reach into the bag and pluck out a chocolate croissant.

In the meantime, Leon is kneeling on the floor with the big box, using scissors to cut the tape to reveal a light colored acoustic guitar. My eyes widen as Leon carefully takes it out of the box and analyses it, plucking the strings as he narrows his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing. I just think this is going to be harder than it looks."

I let out a small laugh at his lack of enthusiasm, then watch as he begins to tune it up. Over the next month I hear snippets of Leon learning, he's a fast learner and only uses online tutorials to teach himself.

I'm surprised when I one day catch him sitting on the balcony of our apartment, a warm breeze wafting in as the sun glows on his skin, the city outside is peaceful for once, and I've never seen a more beautiful view. I walk over to him, wrapping my arms around myself as I watch, Leon doesn't even realise I'm here, he's so immersed in his music, which sounds so enchanting. He nods his head gently, eyes closed as his fingers work, strumming as the notes glide in perfect harmony. The sun keeps catching his hair, the darker strands contrasting with the blonde when he moves.

I don't even notice my eyes are watering until the song is over, and Leon turns to me with a worried expression. "Shit, what's wrong? Did something happen?"

I shake my head, smiling as I bend down and wrap my arms around him from behind, pressing my cheek to his as his hand links with mine. "You play it so well." I murmur, watching the sun dip behind the city, casting an orange glow over everything.

"Thanks, you know what it's actually a great hobby, helps keep my mind busy." He replies, standing as I pull back and wipe my eyes. Leon smiles, lifting his hand and brushing my hair back. "I'm learning your favourite song next so I can serenade you."

I laugh, grinning widely as he half jokes. Only a week later is he kneeling in front of me strumming my favourite song on the guitar, rose petals on the floor all around me and a hot takeout waiting to be eaten on the coffee table.